2015 Mazda 5 GT vs 2009 Mazda 5 GT (Canadian Edition)

microvan5

:
2015 Mazda 5 GT manual
I just got my new 2015 Mazda 5 GT and I was surprised to notice a few areas where the 2009 model was superior to the newest one.

1. The sliding doors lost the power component. In my old car, you just needed to "almost" close the door (without slamming) and a little engine would complete the closing operation. In the 2015 model you need to almost slam the doors in order to insure that they are closed. This is my biggest disappointment in regards to the new model.

2. The quality of the fabric on the front doors went down. The 2009 model had a plush-like material right under the windows, where I like to rest my left elbow. The 2015 material seems cheap and is not as comfortable to the touch.

3. The glove compartment door can no longer be locked in the new model.

4. The new car seems "older" than the old one. Both the front and the back (especially the back) lost their boldness.

5. Lost the temperature gauge.

6. The rain sensor is a distinct component on the window. Looks really bad compared to the 2009 solution.

Otherwise there are a few nice improvements:

1. USB slot
2. Trip Computer
3. MP3 player
4. Can finally listen to music wirelessly via Bluetooth
5. Reverse sensors
6. 6 speeds for my manual transmission
7. Slightly bigger engine
8. TPMS sensors
9. DSC and TCS

I also liked the fact that I could re-use my old retractable cargo cover and roof rack. Nice savings!

Can't say anything about 1 and 2 other than the doors close just fine with a little nudge.
3. a locked glove compartment is pointless. I had one in a previous vehical, thieves broke in, marked up the dash and wrecked the lock.
4. its a personal view, I like the new look. I'd have the old front if I had a choice.
5. external and internal temp gauge is on every model level ...or are you talking about something else?
6. rain sensors are a personal like as well. I can't stand them, especially at higher speeds or moderate rain.

#1 thing is the 2.5L is far better on the 2012 and newer 5.

Can't say anything about 1 and 2 other than the doors close just fine with a little nudge

I would have preferred to avoid the nudge altogether. :)

5. external and internal temp gauge is on every model level ...or are you talking about something else?

I was talking about the engine temperature gauge.

gauges.png

6. rain sensors are a personal like as well. I can't stand them, especially at higher speeds or moderate rain.

In the 2009 model, the sensor was almost invisible. Now it is "in your eyes" module stuck to the windshield.

I would have preferred to avoid the nudge altogether. :)

Stupid that they don't offer full power doors like it is available in Europe.

I was talking about the engine temperature gauge.

Apparently based on the Mazda's research, majority of people don't pay attention to small gauges so to resolve this problem and save cost at the same time, they installed light on the dash, blue then the engine is cold and red when overheating.
So I guess go blame the stupid ppl :)

glad i bought a fully loaded 2008 (just without the nav)

can't imagine on worst material below the window, i am already not too happy with mine, lol......

as for the following:
1. USB slot (can be solve with aftermarket deck)
2. Trip Computer the older mazda5 has it too on the GT
3. MP3 player (can be solve with aftermarket deck)
4. Can finally listen to music wirelessly via Bluetooth (can be solve with aftermarket deck)
5. Reverse sensors (can be solve with aftermarket deck with actual camera)
6. 6 speeds for my manual transmission
7. Slightly bigger engine
8. TPMS sensors
9. DSC and TCS

item 6 to 9 is where i will enjoy it.

Unfortunately, there was no trip computer on my old fully loaded 2009 Mazda 5 GT, Canadian edition.

Here is my aftermarket deck holder: $12 holds my LG G3 with all music via BT and Nokia Here; an excellent offline navigation app.

160002537.jpg

And why is the antenna placed on the right on the latest models? It is the only car I see on the roads where a roof mounted antenna is not in the middle.

i think people complain it about mounting snowboard, skis and stuff. should have went with shark fin and stuff it somewhere

Back