2015 CX-9 engine destroyed due to defective water pump - Seeking advice

Water pump failed in my 2015 CX-9 and leaked coolant into the engine which destroyed the whole engine. Very prevalent issue with these engines as I have found on the interwebs and I have already contacted one of the law firms attempting a class-action lawsuit due to this issue (still in litigation). This happened two weeks ago, was given a quote by the dealership of $10K to replace engine. Told them that I know this is a major issue with these engines, asked will Mazda cover any of it. They came back today and said I would need to pay $2K and Mazda will cover the rest. However, they have no idea when a new engine will be available as it appears they are on back order (probably due to this happening to who knows how many vehicles). Said it could be several months, a year, who knows, and their suggestion was to trade in the damaged vehicle (for very little $$, obviously) on a different vehicle. They gave me a loaner vehicle (brand new 2022 CX-9 Grand Touring) which it seems that I can keep until my car is repaired - I would just need to go in and renew the loaner every 30 days. BUT if I put down the $2K for the new motor, it is non-refundable, even if the motor hasn't shipped yet. Just looking for advice - what would you do? Trade in or pay the $2K, enjoy the nice loaner, and hope the motor eventually comes in? I just paid this car off less than a year ago and was hoping to keep it for several more years before getting a new vehicle. I really don't want to have a car payment again, but I also don't want a lemon that is just going to cost even more big bucks down the road. Someone told me that the transmission might also have been damaged and I wouldn't find out until after the engine is replaced. Help?!

Water pump failed in my 2015 CX-9 and leaked coolant into the engine which destroyed the whole engine. Very prevalent issue with these engines as I have found on the interwebs and I have already contacted one of the law firms attempting a class-action lawsuit due to this issue (still in litigation). This happened two weeks ago, was given a quote by the dealership of $10K to replace engine. Told them that I know this is a major issue with these engines, asked will Mazda cover any of it. They came back today and said I would need to pay $2K and Mazda will cover the rest. However, they have no idea when a new engine will be available as it appears they are on back order (probably due to this happening to who knows how many vehicles). Said it could be several months, a year, who knows, and their suggestion was to trade in the damaged vehicle (for very little $$, obviously) on a different vehicle. They gave me a loaner vehicle (brand new 2022 CX-9 Grand Touring) which it seems that I can keep until my car is repaired - I would just need to go in and renew the loaner every 30 days. BUT if I put down the $2K for the new motor, it is non-refundable, even if the motor hasn't shipped yet. Just looking for advice - what would you do? Trade in or pay the $2K, enjoy the nice loaner, and hope the motor eventually comes in? I just paid this car off less than a year ago and was hoping to keep it for several more years before getting a new vehicle. I really don't want to have a car payment again, but I also don't want a lemon that is just going to cost even more big bucks down the road. Someone told me that the transmission might also have been damaged and I wouldn't find out until after the engine is replaced. Help?!
Absolutely no trade in. You'll get screwed royally.

2k for a brand new engine installed is actually a fair price. If the underbody/frame is in decent shape(not rusted out), i would take the deal and keep running the loaner. Before you put the 2 k down, make sure you have in writing that the dealership and/or Mazda will provide loaner until repair is complete and that Mazda will be paying the remainder of bill.

Doubtful the transmission has been damaged. however since you are worried, check with a local mechanic as to how much would cost to install a junkyard transmission into the car. If the transmission does end up damaged, you'll at least know it may cost you an additional $$.

After a new engine installed you could trade, sell, or keep.
If it were me, I would keep, but do what makes you more stress free.

Last edited:
Pay $2k get new engine and loaner. You're out a car and let's just say you rent a budget econ car $20/day that's $600/mo already. But make sure how long they can loan you it

Pay $2k get new engine and loaner. You're out a car and let's just say you rent a budget econ car $20/day that's $600/mo already. But make sure how long they can loan you it
Lol on the rental. That's what I thought back in March. Dealership had my vehicle longer than insurance would pay for rental because they took my CX5 apart before had the body parts. Had to wait months for parts. Just a 3 cylinder car was gonna cost me $500 a week or $2000 a month.
I had to push on dealership to get the parts quicker and work out deal with rental firm to give me a better rate(the insurance company negotiated on my behalf). Yeah he's getting a good deal at $2000. Even a used salvage engine installed would be at least $2000 on common cars...and more like $6000 for a used Mazda engine install.

Sorry to hear. How many miles? The water pump placement on the V6 was not a good idea as it turns a $500 problem into a $10k problem, but that's what they had to do to fit the engine transversely.

The transmission hasn't been a trouble spot on these cars, unless it's AWD.

If the dealer is truly loaning you a car for as long as it takes to get parts and you are getting a new engine, I'd do it.

Sorry to hear. How many miles? The water pump placement on the V6 was not a good idea as it turns a $500 problem into a $10k problem, but that's what they had to do to fit the engine transversely.

If the dealer is truly loaning you a car for as long as it takes to get parts and you are getting a new engine, I'd do it.

Agreed, I would do the repair as well. Then, when you have the car back, reevaluate what you want to do with it. Used car prices may have come down by then so it may be harder to get a good price for your vehicle, but it also means that you could get a better deal on a used or brand new replacement (if you decide not to keep it).

Absolutely no trade in. You'll get screwed royally.

2k for a brand new engine installed is actually a fair price. If the underbody/frame is in decent shape(not rusted out), i would take the deal and keep running the loaner. Before you put the 2 k down, make sure you have in writing that the dealership and/or Mazda will provide loaner until repair is complete and that Mazda will be paying the remainder of bill.

Doubtful the transmission has been damaged. however since you are worried, check with a local mechanic as to how much would cost to install a junkyard transmission into the car. If the transmission does end up damaged, you'll at least know it may cost you an additional $$.

After a new engine installed you could trade, sell, or keep.
If it were me, I would keep, but do what makes you more stress free.
Thanks for the advice! Glad to hear that transmission is probably ok.

Thanks! Definitely seems like the best thing to do. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Yeah, sucks. Just under 100k miles. Thanks for the advice!

Agreed, I would do the repair as well. Then, when you have the car back, reevaluate what you want to do with it. Used car prices may have come down by then so it may be harder to get a good price for your vehicle, but it also means that you could get a better deal on a used or brand new replacement (if you decide not to keep it).
Yeah, used car prices are crazy right now. I'm gonna go with the repair and hope the market is more reasonable whenever I'm ready to buy.

Back