2015 CX-5 Rear Caliper bracket bolt bigger than hole

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD. I replaced the rear pads and discs about 2 years ago and they are already used up so something might be wrong with the caliper. I went to replace the caliper today and bought a replacement but the bracket bolts are bigger than the hole on the replacement. I went to another store and I'm seeing the same size. What is going on here? I bought the car used and it had about 30-35k. If I get the smaller bolts is that going to be a problem since the holes on the hub assembly are bigger? I'm so confused right now.

Have you tried swapping the original factory brackets for the ones that were included with the calipers that you purchased?

Have you tried swapping the original factory brackets for the ones that were included with the calipers that you purchased?
I mean that would work but I want to replace the whole caliper. They look the same but why would my car have bigger bolts? To clarify, I live in Michigan so any time I can replace rusty parts the better. I don't want to reuse the rusty bracket, I want to know if there would be any reason for this. It's the same bolts on both sides so it's not some weird fix.

I'm assuming that you've confirmed the part numbers are correct for your vehicle, which means that the part companies are including brackets with bolt holes that are too small. And it's possible that most people who buy these same parts just swap the brackets, and never bother to complain about the mistake.

If you're intent on installing new ones, you might want to check an OEM bracket at your local Mazda to see if they have it correct or not. Then, if the Mazda brackets have the correct size bolt hole, and you don't want to pay OEM prices, try the Rockauto help line to see if they can sort this out for you.

But in any case, I'd advise against switching to smaller bolts, because the close fit is by design, and is virtually certain to be very important to the integrity of the system.

I'm assuming that you've confirmed the part numbers are correct for your vehicle, which means that the part companies are including brackets with bolt holes that are too small. And it's possible that most people who buy these same parts just swap the brackets, and never bother to complain about the mistake.

If you're intent on installing new ones, you might want to check an OEM bracket at your local Mazda to see if they have it correct or not. Then, if the Mazda brackets have the correct size bolt hole, and you don't want to pay OEM prices, try the Rockauto help line to see if they can sort this out for you.

But in any case, I'd advise against switching to smaller bolts, because the close fit is by design, and is virtually certain to be very important to the integrity of the system.
I figured so much that I didn't want to go with a smaller bolt. I thought about ordering just the bolts from RockAuto to see if they are the same size or not.

I ended up just putting new pads and rotors on for now and I'm going to watch it. I guess these cars have back brake issues.

I went to two different stores and brought the bolts and they didn't fit at either store so I assume the part numbers are correct. I also checked the part number on RockAuto and it matched up.

CENTRIC 14145571 {141.45571} Reman

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD. I replaced the rear pads and discs about 2 years ago and they are already used up so something might be wrong with the caliper. I went to replace the caliper today and bought a replacement but the bracket bolts are bigger than the hole on the replacement. I went to another store and I'm seeing the same size. What is going on here? I bought the car used and it had about 30-35k. If I get the smaller bolts is that going to be a problem since the holes on the hub assembly are bigger? I'm so confused right now.
You bought your 2015 CX-5 with 30 ~ 35K miles; but you didn’t say what is the current mileage? Brake calipers usually don’t need replacement under normal usage unless you have a 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 which has defective manufacture process with newly introduced EPB at the rear. Your quick wear-out on rear brake pads especially if they have uneven wear could be caused by the lack of lubrication on caliper pins. Do it if you haven’t done it yet with new pad replacement.

It’s highly unlikely your CX-5 has wrong rear hub with bigger thread holes and bolts to accept calipers with bigger holes. Most likely it’s the mistake made by aftermarket manufactures. Or it could be because there’s a difference on bolts between FWD and AWD?

You bought your 2015 CX-5 with 30 ~ 35K miles; but you didn’t say what is the current mileage? Brake calipers usually don’t need replacement under normal usage unless you have a 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 which has defective manufacture process with newly introduced EPB at the rear. Your quick wear-out on rear brake pads especially if they have uneven wear could be caused by the lack of lubrication on caliper pins. Do it if you haven’t done it yet with new pad replacement.

It’s highly unlikely your CX-5 has wrong rear hub with bigger thread holes and bolts to accept calipers with bigger holes. Most likely it’s the mistake made by aftermarket manufactures. Or it could be because there’s a difference on bolts between FWD and AWD?
OP didn't say where purchased parts.

This is why usually buy parts from either NAPA or Dealer(if part not at NAPA). f.i. One time a big box only showed one part for one of my older vehicles, went to NAPA and they had 3 different choices dependant on year, trim, engine, etc. Just get your parts at NAPA or Mazda.

Have gotten wrong parts from big box stores that never happens at NAPA.

Unless your buying something very specific like powder-coated calipers online, then just use/swap your old brackets if the new ones don't fit.
Don't worry about rust on bracket. I'm in the rust belt and never had a bracket stick yet. Rotors and hubs yes. Brackets no.

Last edited:
OP didn't say where purchased parts.

This is why usually buy parts from either NAPA or Dealer(if part not at NAPA). f.i. One time a big box only showed one part for one of my older vehicles, went to NAPA and they had 3 different choices dependant on year, trim, engine, etc. Just get your parts at NAPA or Mazda.

Have gotten wrong parts from big box stores that never happens at NAPA.

Unless your buying something very specific like powder-coated calipers online, then just use/swap your old brackets if the new ones don't fit.
Don't worry about rust on bracket. I'm in the rust belt and never had a bracket stick yet. Rotors and hubs yes. Brackets no.
I went to Advanced or maybe Auto Zone. They look the same. I also went to a more local company. Both had smaller holes on the calipers.

I think I have around 80k miles.

I lube the pins and have rebuilt calipers in the past. I just wanted to do any easy swap and be done with it and for reference, I had to replace 3 calipers on my Jeep and I don't even drive it in the winter time.

I went to two different companies in town and they both had the smaller hole.

I think it the problem is with the tin shims. I think the pads were not able to float and got stuck. I have been testing them with an infrared thermometer and I will probably check them out in the fall to make sure they abnormal wear has stopped.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not crazy though and the holes are different sizes. I stumped the parts supply people for sure.

Did you ever find a solution or reason? I'm having the exact same problem with my 2015 CX-5 Sport with 2.0L (FWD) and manual transmission. I'm at a loss. I definitely want to use the new brackets I paid for (Rock Auto, and well past the return date.) The only thing I can think to do is drill and tap the new brackets to the larger size.

I ended up selling the car for a CX-9 and the brakes were still overheating from the calipers. So are you telling me the brackets from Rock Auto didn't work? I just used Rock Auto brackets on another car and they guarantee they fit, "All bolt threads have been thoroughly inspected and tested to ensure trouble-free installation" so I would send them back and insist they pay for it. I live in the rust belt and the brackets and pins are usually toast. This most recent car I worked on the pin broke off in the bracket. That's what drives me nuts about this whole thing and people telling me to just use the old brackets. I should post pictures of these brackets because the calipers look great so someone did exactly what people recommend by just keeping the old brackets. CHANGE THE BRACKETS. WHY WOULD PEOPLE NOT SWAP OUT A NEW PART THAT THEY PAID FOR AND IT TAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXTRA WORK. Funny that the piston in the caliper fails but the brackets are magically untouched by salt and will never fail.

All these people on here saying they only trust NAPA or whoever their favorite part company is should realize it does not matter. I went to NAPA to buy the brackets for a different car and the first review I read said that the brackets didn't fit and they had to send them back so I don't think it matters. Something is wrong with QA/QC. The only thing I can come up with is maybe try a 2014 or 2016 at a parts store and see if it changes. I want to say there was a model 2016.5 of this car. Maybe something was changed mid production since these cars have well known brake issues. I would just ask the parts store to pull out 2013-2018 rear calipers and hope one of them fits. If all else fails try the dealer. BEST OF LUCK MAN. Please report back here if you actually figure it out because it's the most frustrating thing I have run into while working on cars. As much as it sucks at least I know someone else is experiencing this and I'm not crazy.

I ended up selling the car for a CX-9 and the brakes were still overheating from the calipers. So are you telling me the brackets from Rock Auto didn't work? I just used Rock Auto brackets on another car and they guarantee they fit, "All bolt threads have been thoroughly inspected and tested to ensure trouble-free installation" so I would send them back and insist they pay for it. I live in the rust belt and the brackets and pins are usually toast. This most recent car I worked on the pin broke off in the bracket. That's what drives me nuts about this whole thing and people telling me to just use the old brackets. I should post pictures of these brackets because the calipers look great so someone did exactly what people recommend by just keeping the old brackets. CHANGE THE BRACKETS. WHY WOULD PEOPLE NOT SWAP OUT A NEW PART THAT THEY PAID FOR AND IT TAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXTRA WORK. Funny that the piston in the caliper fails but the brackets are magically untouched by salt and will never fail.

All these people on here saying they only trust NAPA or whoever their favorite part company is should realize it does not matter. I went to NAPA to buy the brackets for a different car and the first review I read said that the brackets didn't fit and they had to send them back so I don't think it matters. Something is wrong with QA/QC. The only thing I can come up with is maybe try a 2014 or 2016 at a parts store and see if it changes. I want to say there was a model 2016.5 of this car. Maybe something was changed mid production since these cars have well known brake issues. I would just ask the parts store to pull out 2013-2018 rear calipers and hope one of them fits. If all else fails try the dealer. BEST OF LUCK MAN. Please report back here if you actually figure it out because it's the most frustrating thing I have run into while working on cars. As much as it sucks at least I know someone else is experiencing this and I'm not crazy.

Are there any odds your CX-5 was equipped with a manual transmission? I can't imagine why that would call for different brakes, but it WAS a rare option. I'm going to try to find time to call a Mazda dealer today.

Are there any odds your CX-5 was equipped with a manual transmission? I can't imagine why that would call for different brakes, but it WAS a rare option. I'm going to try to find time to call a Mazda dealer today.
It was not a manual. I had the 2.5L, AWD. I would try stopping by a parts store and explain what's going on and see if they will pull 2013-2016 calipers. Here are detailed pics of a 2013. I don't have mine anymore but maybe you can look and see if the hole diameter looks the same.

Edit: Maybe they are not that helpful. Now you have me researching this problem again lol.

I just looked up 2016 and 2017 CX-5 calipers on Rock Auto and they don't carry any rear calipers for the 2.0 and 2.5. I think they use the same brakes and I would be willing to bet that some 2015 models have 2016 calipers for some weird reason. Look it up for yourself. Zero results at Autozone as well. NAPA supposedly has them though. Maybe check there.

I never did find time to call the Mazda Stealership yesterday. It did occur to me, though, that you did say in your original post that yours was AWD, and the manual transmission was only available on the bare bones base model. No bells and whistles whatsoever on my car.

I think the CX-5 changed to an electronic parking brake in 2016. I have no way of confirming that, but I'm pretty sure that would require a different caliper. My car was an early 2015 model year build anyway, with a build date of 10/14.

Sorry to get you started on this again. It really is the weirdest thing. Yours is the only other case of this I've seen on the internet. I really appreciate your replies and input.

It is done. Problem solved. My factory bolts now fit just fine.

"We'll make it fit!"

Attachments

• 20240222_175107.jpg
    20240222_175107.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240222_175119.jpg
    20240222_175119.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240222_193834.jpg
    20240222_193834.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 29
Back