2014 Mazda GT Catalyic Converter.

Twistedvein

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Why do you think my Catalyic Converter needed to be replaced so soon? I never in my life see one go so fast when everything was dealer maintained. Even they could not give me any answers. I'm just gonna start using better rated fual like a Top Tier sold by Petro Canada,Shell,Esso and Costco to name a few. Any more ideas about maintaining this unusual loss of a major emission component.

Why do you think my Catalyic Converter needed to be replaced so soon? I never in my life see one go so fast when everything was dealer maintained. Even they could not give me any answers. I'm just gonna start using better rated fual like a Top Tier sold by Petro Canada,Shell,Esso and Costco to name a few. Any more ideas about maintaining this unusual loss of a major emission component.

Mazda is required to warranty emissions systems for 8 years. It shouldn't be your concern.

BTW, that is the first report I've seen of a bad CX-5 catalytic converter. Can you provide more details (such as which dealership diagnosed the issue)?

It happens. Toyota had an issue with catalytic converters clogging themselves in their Tacomas and issued a recall.

Mazda is required to warranty emissions systems for 8 years. It shouldn't be your concern.

BTW, that is the first report I've seen of a bad CX-5 catalytic converter. Can you provide more details (such as which dealership diagnosed the issue)?

It Was replaced about 2 weeks ago. The mechanic Jason who worked on it I managed to speak with him today he's the top tech #5 in Canada at the Stoney Creek Mazda Dealership.
He said it was his first, it had a failing value of 640 the new one it's over 2000. He said the hotline had only seen a few so far. The part came from the great U.S.A.

But what was the cause?

The honeycomb material in the CAT vibrated loose. The particles that broke free built up and started to clog or partially clog the CAT. Some people just heard rattling noises with no power loss, others experienced significant loss of power. Here's a pic from one of the forums:

image-jpg.886360

Which catalytic failed ? The one On the exhaust manifold or the 2nd one on the midpipe ?

Also , did they let you keep it ?

Any symptoms? What prompted you to take it in to dealer? Misfire and extra fuel could cause early failure. Back in mid 2000's....Nissan 2.5Ls had a recall where broken pre-cat chunks were getting sucked back into engine and scoring cylinders. This was also a debated cause for VQ35DE oil consumption issues but others just said crap rings by Nissan.

Any symptoms? What prompted you to take it in to dealer? Misfire and extra fuel could cause early failure. Back in mid 2000's....Nissan 2.5Ls had a recall where broken pre-cat chunks were getting sucked back into engine and scoring cylinders. This was also a debated cause for VQ35DE oil consumption issues but others just said crap rings by Nissan.
How is it possible the pre-cat chunks got sucked back into the cylinders? I'm inclined to believe that the bad rings caused oil consumption like my VW Passat.

The honeycomb material in the catalytic converter vibrated loose was the norm during the old days when the car is getting old. Most people heard ringing noise but they didn't care to replace the cat as it's expensive.

How is it possible the pre-cat chunks got sucked back into the cylinders? I'm inclined to believe that the bad rings caused oil consumption like my VW Passat.

The honeycomb material in the catalytic converter vibrated loose was the norm during the old days when the car is getting old. Most people heard ringing noise but they didn't care to replace the cat as it's expensive.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/acm10656677/rcrit-03v084-4466.pdf

", for 2002-2003 model year Altimas and 2002-2004
model year Sentras, there is a possibility that certain engine operating conditions may
cause damage to the pre-catalyst. Material from inside a damaged pre-catalyst could enter
the engine and result in increased oil consumption. If the engine oil level is not checked on
a periodic basis and drops below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the
vehicle ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occur which could result in a
fire. "

It Was replaced about 2 weeks ago. The mechanic Jason who worked on it I managed to speak with him today he's the top tech #5 in Canada at the Stoney Creek Mazda Dealership.

If memory serves, that's the same dealership that was reportedly putting below spec oil in CX-5's (not that that would cause failure of a catalytic converter).

He said it was his first, it had a failing value of 640 the new one it's over 2000. He said the hotline had only seen a few so far. The part came from the great U.S.A.

The price is immaterial to the consumer because the manufacturer is responsible for emissions components. Mazda might even be able to get credit for this from their US supplier if it failed due to manufacturing defect.

Back in mid 2000's....Nissan 2.5Ls had a recall where broken pre-cat chunks were getting sucked back into engine and scoring cylinders.

I think that type of failure mode is impossible on a CX-5 because of the distance from the exhaust ports to the first catalytic converter and also due to the scavenging nature of the 4 into 1 Skyactiv header.

If they haven't seen many, I'm inclined to think very rare manufacturing defect in the cat.

I think that type of failure mode is impossible on a CX-5 because of the distance from the exhaust ports to the first catalytic converter and also due to the scavenging nature of the 4 into 1 Skyactiv header.
4-2-1*

I did not think it was likely either on the CX's header... but Nissan proved it can happen with poor design. :)

I had the 2003 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V . It had the same 2.5L QR25DE motor as the Altima . From what I remember , the dealer would reflash the ECU to run a little leaner. The overly rich af mixture at certain parameters had excessive unburnt fuel that would burn in the primary catalytic converter and over heat it . This would then break apart the materials in the catalytic and supposedly in certain conditions the peices might get sucked back in . In addition to running rich , the catalytic converter was really close to the motor . Here is a pic with heat shield removed (not my car)

stockaltimaheader.jpg

Just the engine light told us of the problem. Could not tell any other way that's why my jaw hit the ground when they told me about it.

If memory serves, that's the same dealership that was reportedly putting below spec oil in CX-5's (not that that would cause failure of a catalytic converter).

The price is immaterial to the consumer because the manufacturer is responsible for emissions components. Mazda might even be able to get credit for this from their US supplier if it failed due to manufacturing defect.

Agree. But it scares the heck out of me when they go like that. Perhaps next time it will be on my tab or someone else $1300.00 for the part and 11 hour labor.

So am I correct by saying that the honeycomb inside the Cat Converter would be made out of a very fragile plastic like product?

Back