2014 Mazda CX-9 Transmission hard shifts

Hello, I recently bought a 2014 CX-9 touring with now about 78,000 miles. I pit about 2000 on it. A week after I bought it, I noticed it shifts hard. It doesn't do it all the time. For example, I'm driving 55mph in 6th gear, slow down to 40mph downshifts to 5th gear, I then accelerate. Right after I accelerate it jerks back into 6th gear. Also when cruising it will flutter and when slowing accelerating it will flutter into gears. Doesn't do it all the time. I have brought this to a Mazda dealership, not where I bought it from. They did a transmission flush, the fluid was black they said. Hoping it would fix the issue, it didn't. Brought it back, and they said these transmissions have adaptive shifting. They basically reset it and said it will relearn how I drive. That did not fix the issue either. There are no codes. They are at a loss at what to do next. My 3 month warranty from the dealership I bought it from is almost up, so I'm trying to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Black fluid is never good in a modern transmission. Sounds like an internal problem (like a shift solenoid), so removal and repair is what that means.

You can try a "hard shift" additive, but they are usually a band-aid solution.

Upvote 0
Black fluid is never good in a modern transmission. Sounds like an internal problem (like a shift solenoid), so removal and repair is what that means.

You can try a "hard shift" additive, but they are usually a band-aid solution.
I asked the dealership about that and they said they have no reason to believe it would be that. Because there are no codes, it would basically be a shot in the dark. Do you know if it would throw a code with a faulty shift solenoid?

Upvote 0
I asked the dealership about that and they said they have no reason to believe it would be that. Because there are no codes, it would basically be a shot in the dark. Do you know if it would throw a code with a faulty shift solenoid?
It should, but it may not.

Upvote 0
Are they doing the work under the 3 month warranty? If they are then i would let them do it. And make sure the issue you reported within that 3 month warranty is on file and they will keep trying to resolve it even after the 3 month period is up.

Upvote 0
Are they doing the work under the 3 month warranty? If they are then i would let them do it. And make sure the issue you reported within that 3 month warranty is on file and they will keep trying to resolve it even after the 3 month period is up.
They are. But now the dealership I brought it to said they basically won't do anything more. I'm waiting on hearing back from the dealership I bought it from to see what we do now. I've been doing more reading and it almost sounds like it could be the torque converter. The car shudders a lot when cruising also. I'm going to tell them I don't want the car, they can give me my money back.

Upvote 0
Back