2013 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD on H&R lowering springs

Tastefully done, I like the look.

Look forward to your report later on ride /handling after few hundred miles.

Nice waiting for the rain break and spare time to install mine. This cx5 setup is very similar to my BMW e46, also remove the sway link bars.

Is too bad no one makes shocks yet. Waiting for koni sports.

So the ride is similar to stock? Does it feel stiffer? It would be nice if were stiffer

I found the CX-5's rear suspension to be similar to the E46 as well. I did a KW V3 install on my good friend's 330ci ZHP, and the non-coilover and control arms set up were similar. I did imagine the suspension work procedure to be the same, which is damn easy like you said.

I really hope Koni develops their Yellow line for the CX-5. By far my favorite adjustable and affordable shocks.

Last edited:
I found the CX-5's rear suspension to be similar to the E46 as well. I did a KW V3 install on my good friend's 330ci ZHP, and the non-coilover and control arms set up were similar. I did imagine the suspension work procedure to be the same, which is damn easy like you said.

maybe that is why they handle pretty well for a car this size. but since E90 BMW moved on to multilink like Audi's. I think a good shocks w/ H&R and a larger adj swaybar will make this car handle even better.

So far no complains, rides smooth and comfortable, handles well still. However only complaint is that I feel like I lost quite a bit of distance on my headlights. The headlights are auto-leveling so I dont think its the angle, but since they are electronic not sure if they can be adjusted.

Hi-- I went to his website-- what great offer you think he will have for these springs? Should I just mention the Mazda forum group or your name? Thanks.

So far no complains, rides smooth and comfortable, handles well still. However only complaint is that I feel like I lost quite a bit of distance on my headlights. The headlights are auto-leveling so I dont think its the angle, but since they are electronic not sure if they can be adjusted.
I assume you've had all 4 corners realigned. Any issues? Did it require a camber kit?

Just call and ask him. He will give you a good deal :) I dont want to post his pricing out on a website.

actually haven't done it yet. I gotta wait for my friends to get back to work so I can get it done for like 10 bucks instead of paying a shop 80 bucks.

maybe that is why they handle pretty well for a car this size. but since E90 BMW moved on to multilink like Audi's. I think a good shocks w/ H&R and a larger adj swaybar will make this car handle even better.

Technically the E46 is still a multi-link (so is the CX-5). The E90 was design as a 5-link to cope with the brutal run-flats.

I feel the CX-5's rear suspension is actually superior of the E46 (minus the goodies of the M3). Mazda designed the rear trailing arm pivots to be mounted lower than the center of the wheel and also they are at angle. I can dig up some diagrams of the goose neck shaped trailing arm if interested. By doing this, it allows significant reduction of dive under heavy braking, and flattering cornering, all while keeping a stable ride and not having to go for stiffer swaybars and higher spring rate springs for controlled body movements. It also allows impacts to be transferred to stiffer bushings.

The new Mazda6 will be running an identical suspension geometry (even underpinnings). I hope that allows for better after market support that can be swapped with the CX-5. It most likely will seeing that Mazda is entering a production Mazda6 SkyA-D into the GrandAm GX class which debuts for the Rolex 24 I believe. They are restricted to factory mounting points for suspension modifications, so that alone will bump things up a bit.

Last edited:
Your welcome :)
20121227_080443_zpsca8ce482.jpg

20121227_080437_zpsacfab924.jpg

That looks so perfect. A slight sleek drop without that ricerboy "slammed" look. i think thats about as close as im going to be able to get to a mazda6 wagon

id be curious to hear what your mpg difference is. should give you about 1 mpg by way of better aero on highway trips.

Eh... It looks like a crossover that is in need of a lift. LOL

Any issues with the alignment?

This is something I'm concerned with too. I'm contemplating this mod, but so far every one who is selling or has installed these springs is very vague about how accurate an alignment you can get with this kind of a drop. There doesn't appear to be any aftermarket or factory camber bolts avaiable for the CX-5 and the response I got from Corksport and H&R is "Oh, you probably won't need them." Sorry guys, that's not good enough for me. I've had to deal with my share of tire wear problems on past vehicles and that's not what I signed up for here.

Alignment spec sheet should be supplied with the springs (did they mention anything about that?).

I understand the concern about maintaining decent tire wear, certainly I have no complaints regarding tire wear in my 13K miles of ownership.

Alignment spec sheet should be supplied with the springs (did they mention anything about that?).
No they didn't, but my concern is can you get it in spec without any additional mods/parts. I don't want to go to all the trouble of changing the springs out only to have an alignment shop tell me "We got it as close as we can. Keep an eye on tire wear."

Back