2013 Mazda CX-5 Diagnostic Codes

mikeregister

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
I decided to go into the diagnostic mode on my CX-5 too see what kind of codes I could find. I'm sure some of you have already done this. But, here is a compiled list of what I found. As you can see I have no idea what half of this stuff is so, if you know what something does let me know and I will update the OP. Also, if you found a code that I didn't let me know and I will also update. I noticed some codes only worked if certain things were on. My CX-5 is the Grand Touring Edition it does not have Navigation installed so maybe there are more codes that I couldn't access.

I didn't really notice anything useful in here at all to myself at the moment. But, one thing that could be useful later on is the use of code 81 to update your software.

I have also created an album with a picture of every screen I could find incase anyone wants to compare too see if their are any differences in different models or maybe if someone has a newer firmware update.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Diagnostic Codes Picture Album

Anyway to access the Diagnostic Mode (not sure if thats what its really called but, that's what I'm calling it) Press the Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together. (Press the Power/Volume button slightly earlier)

1 - Test Screen (Tapping tests different colors)
2 - Check SW (Not sure what this is)
3 - Check Speaker (Plays music one speaker at a time to make sure all are working)
4 - Signal Strength (Displays signal strength of radio)
5 - Antenna Cont (Displays whether radio antenna is on or off)
6 - Maker Code (Not sure)
7 - Check Amp (Guess it checks the Amplifier some how?)
9 - Seek Test (Tests seek function on radio)
10 - Software Version (Shows version numbers for SH, R32, USB and SAT) (Not sure what SH and R32 are)
11 - CD Test (Tests CD player)
14 - Rotary Encoder (In this mode if you turn your Volume Up/Down or turn your Tune knob Left/Right it will show you it's working just a diagnostic feature (Thanks: bigi1983)
15 - Vehicle and Navi Signal Check (Can ensure your GPS is getting Signal here)
16 - Connect Info Clear (Not sure)
17 - View Configuration
20 - Modem Setting (Turn Modem On/Off For TomTom Live Services) (Only display on models with Navigation)
37 - HF ACU Connection (Possibly something for the satellite radio) (Thanks: stromdriver)
38 - HF Soft Version (Possibly something for the satellite radio) (Thanks: stromdriver)
81 - Soft Update (Assuming this is where you would go for Firmware updates)
83 - Calibration (Calibrate your touch screen)
84 - BD Address (Not Sure)
85 - Register Edit (Not Sure)
86 - Just shows line on screen (Not sure the point of this)
87 - Displays 3 Squares that say NG (Not clue what this is for)
88 - Check SW Info (Not sure)
89 - BER TEST (BER = Bit Error Rate, is a measure of quality of a digital transmission) (Thanks: Trent_CX5)
92 - Turns on Rear Camera

Once again please let me know if there is anything I can add to this thread to make it better!

Last edited:
thanks for the leg work, not sure how this would be handy but ya never know lol

i would guess 37-38 would be for sat radio hf meaning high frequency

No problem. Like I said I'm not sure if any of this will ever be useful to any of us. But, you never know. The only one I would like to be able to use is 81 to update the software to play albums on a USB in proper order. Pretty sure I will never physically get a hold of an update if there is one anyway. I wandering where it looks for the file at wander if it searches for the update file via usb?

Rotary Encoder (14) just tests the encoder buttons - Volume UP/DOWN, Tune LEFT/RIGHT and here in Germany also the control interface between the seats. So when you enter this menu and you rotate some button you get a notification on the screen what was rotated and in which direction. As I wrote it is just a diagnostic feature.

Gre from Germany,
BIGI

Rotary Encoder (14) just tests the encoder buttons - Volume UP/DOWN, Tune LEFT/RIGHT and here in Germany also the control interface between the seats. So when you enter this menu and you rotate some button you get a notification on the screen what was rotated and in which direction. As I wrote it is just a diagnostic feature.

Gre from Germany,
BIGI

Thanks for the input. Didn't notice that when I was playing with it. Just checked it out and that's what it does however, I have the option that shows Volume up and Down and tuning like you said and another one that says "Commander Enc" not sure what this is unless its for the Control Interface thing your talking about and it's something we don't in the US have maybe???

None the less nothing special.

This doesn't appear to work on my UK car, I've tried it will engine running and with just ignition on.

Is it a USA thing?
I have sat nav, but wouldn't think that could make a difference.

I decided to go into the diagnostic mode on my CX-5 too see what kind of codes I could find. I'm sure some of you have already done this. But, here is a compiled list of what I found. As you can see I have no idea what half of this stuff is so, if you know what something does let me know and I will update the OP. Also, if you found a code that I didn't let me know and I will also update. I noticed some codes only worked if certain things were on. My CX-5 is the Grand Touring Edition it does not have Navigation installed so maybe there are more codes that I couldn't access.

I didn't really notice anything useful in here at all to myself at the moment. But, one thing that could be useful later on is the use of code 81 to update your software.

I have also created an album with a picture of every screen I could find incase anyone wants to compare too see if their are any differences in different models or maybe if someone has a newer firmware update.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Diagnostic Codes Picture Album

Anyway to access the Diagnostic Mode (not sure if thats what its really called but, that's what I'm calling it) Press the Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together. (Press the Power/Volume button slightly earlier)

1 - Test Screen (Tapping tests different colors)
2 - Check SW (Not sure what this is)
3 - Check Speaker (Plays music one speaker at a time to make sure all are working)
4 - Signal Strength (Displays signal strength of radio)
5 - Antenna Cont (Displays whether radio antenna is on or off)
6 - Maker Code (Not sure)
7 - Check Amp (Guess it checks the Amplifier some how?)
9 - Seek Test (Tests seek function on radio)
10 - Software Version (Shows version numbers for SH, R32, USB and SAT) (Not sure what SH and R32 are)
11 - CD Test (Tests CD player)
14 - Rotary Encoder (In this mode if you turn your Volume Up/Down or turn your Tune knob Left/Right it will show you it's working just a diagnostic feature (Thanks: bigi1983)
15 - Vehicle and Navi Signal Check (Can ensure your GPS is getting Signal here)
16 - Connect Info Clear (Not sure)
17 - View Configuration
20 - Modem Setting (Turn Modem On/Off For TomTom Live Services) (Only display on models with Navigation)
37 - HF ACU Connection (Possibly something for the satellite radio) (Thanks: stromdriver)
38 - HF Soft Version (Possibly something for the satellite radio) (Thanks: stromdriver)
81 - Soft Update (Assuming this is where you would go for Firmware updates)
83 - Calibration (Calibrate your touch screen)
84 - BD Address (Not Sure)
85 - Register Edit (Not Sure)
86 - Just shows line on screen (Not sure the point of this)
87 - Displays 3 Squares that say NG (Not clue what this is for)
88 - Check SW Info (Not sure)
89 - BER TEST (BER = Bit Error Rate, is a measure of quality of a digital transmission) (Thanks: Trent_CX5)
92 - Turns on Rear Camera

Once again please let me know if there is anything I can add to this thread to make it better!

I assume this is only available on European models?

Make sure the radio is on when you press the key combo "Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together"

This will take you into the diagnostic mode. Pressing the Power/Volume button will take you back to the default screen where you can enter another code.

I haven't tried this but don't see a reason it wouldn't work. If you wanted to turn the rear view camera on while driving forward.

Go into Diagnostic Mode and enter 92.

The radio will continue to play and you can also adjust volume

Hitting power button allows you to enter another code

Last edited:
The camera does work while driving but appears to go back to the diagnostic screen if you actually put the car in reverse. Radio volume is controllable when in this mode but satellite controls on steering wheel do not appear to work.

Last edited:
Make sure the radio is on when you press the key combo "Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together"

This will take you into the diagnostic mode. Pressing the Power/Volume button will take you back to the default screen where you can enter another code.

I haven't tried this but don't see a reason it wouldn't work. If you wanted to turn the rear view camera on while driving forward.

This is cool. In theory, if one put radio in AUX mode before selecting 92 option, you could run a DVD player on display. Would require digging into dash and installing a switch to select backup camera or an RCA plug for DVD video. Plug DVD audio into AUX and you have movies while traveling.

my nb1 keeps reporting No Valid GPS Signal. I've gone into option 15 on the menu... any idea what good/healthy settings should show?
mine says

TNS OFF
REV OFF
PKB
SPEED 0km/h

ST-SW OK
COMMANDER OK
MIC OK
NAVI (USB) OK
NAVI GPS ANT OK

Hey. I'm pretty sure that in the code 85 screen, we can modify so many things like display of fuel consumption in imperial/metric, as well as display of speed set in cruise, and avoid sound track reset in every car startup. how can we find the codes?

Has anyone discovered how to download and install the update for the ND1? This is the closest forum to my issue and exactly my issue with this vehicle. I just traded in my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox for this and have to say the stereo was far more advanced. Mazda has been essentially useless and since the car was my wife*s it*s still under warranty. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

Bump of an old post of mine on how to turn the backup camera on for a 13-15 model on demand

Back