2013 Fiat 500 Abarth - My New Toy

THE Phen

:
2013 Abarth, 2004 MSM - FM, '74 BMW Bavaria, 97 Civic EX B18C1
Making another thread in here. Unfortunately, this purchase is step 1 of me leaving the Mazda family (temporary of course) but makes the most sense for my future endeavors.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Build date: Nov 12, 2012
Rosso
16" Abarth wheels
Black cloth interior
Beats by Dre audio package
Bone stock with 160 hp / 170 ft lbs torque

12306700775_40762bffc7_c.jpg

Friday before buying it. Bought the car on Monday, 2/3/14.

13035021144_f2a603334e_c.jpg

The Abarth 16's

13034831553_171f3638d9_c.jpg

My Abarth and my dad's 500. He's the one that gave me the kick in the butt to head to the Fiat Studio.

13034843763_5899f7846b_c.jpg

The fleet, for now

13034667585_29f7a867a6_c.jpg

Yesterday

So far, I'm loving it. It makes all the right noises, handles amazingly, has enough power to get out of its own way. It's going to make one helluva daily driver for me.

I have no plans for it other than to drive it. I'd like to find some 17's to mount my autocross tires on, but that's not overly important.

Last edited:
A couple, but nothing good. I should have said "I have none up on Flickr yet so it's hard for me to share them at work."

Sub'd....removed that pic...damn was it huge.

Congrats once again and looking forward to all those mods you have in store. hehe

I hate you. No, not really, but I am intensely jealous. Do you have any trouble reading the concentric speedo/tach at speed? My Dad has a regular 500 and the one time I drove it I just gave up and shifted by sound LOL

I haven't had any problem with that. At least not now. I spent some time getting my seat exactly where I want it, height wise. That made a big difference on looking at the cluster. My dad also has a regular 500, so it's been nice getting heads up on things that I should keep my eye on. One of the big ones being the right rear wheel alignment. For some reason there's a handful of them out there that aren't quite right and eat tires off the car.

Both my parents now have 500s, my Dads is a convertible (of sorts) 5 speed, Moms is a auto standard top. Oh and my sister has owned two of them (one destroyed in an accident) So there is a little familial peer pressure involved. Its kinda sad that every time we go up to visit them I lobby for more mods to my Dad. I got him looking at all the different websites that have parts for them because I am evil :p

Damn! That's pretty sweet. They're odd little cars, but fun to drive. There are definitely a lot of mods out there for the cars, but... well... see your signature quote. I'm working on that...

You are my hero! I'm working on it as well, thats why i try so hard to get my Dad to spend my inheritance on his car LOL

Heh, that's the way to do it.

Been doing more and more research to learn as much as I can about the car. Since I do that on every other car I've ever owned, why not this one too? Seems as though there are a couple "common" issues across all of the models. Perhaps you can let me know if your family has had any of them? The ones I'm most concerned with at this time...

Rear alignment issues - A shocking number of these cars come with a goofed up toe-in problem on the right rear. Studios haven't accepted this yet. My dad had this issue
Leaking coolant overflow tank connection - Not seeing this on mine or my dad's car yet. No idea how common it is
Rear main seal - My dad's is leaking slightly. Likely would not have found it if he hadn't done his own oil changes.

I will check with him and see. My Dad was/is the reason I am a car nut, but as he has aged he has turned into a "let the dealer fix it, its under warranty" kind of guy.

For those who haven't ever heard one of these in person... they're pretty angry. Thanks to Sho for the video.

Its what the prototype Lamborghini MDS system sounds like LOL Multi displacement system BTW cylinder deactivation? oh whatever, they do sound mean as hell, and not in an old Dodge Neon SRT4 kind of way either

I really considered one of these as my DD. They seem like a blast. How has yours held up? I know this thread is kinda old, but just curious.

Well, I've not been on here for a while, so I'll give an update.

30k miles already. Autocrossing like crazy. Lots of fun. Currently running Bridgestone RE-71R's and shocking some folks. Only mod I've done thus far has been a rear sway bar. I'm gathering all my parts for the 32k mile maintenance interval. Spark plugs are gonna run me $140 a set if I go thru the dealer. Still investigating other options. Still love the car tho.

Back