2013 CX-5 How to Tap Into Rear Wiper 12v?

I have been having a difficult past 2 months dealing with trying to install this backup cam to my 2013 cx5 sport.
Got to the point that it powers on and I can see it view Diagnostic mode 92. However, car doesn't recognize it and doesn't switch screens.
I found someone on this forum who had the exact same issue 13 sport back up camera help plz

Another person at another forum had the same issue and they both tapped into rear wiper for camera power to get it working.

I have seen where the plug is for the rear wiper in the trunk. But the issue is the plug is very far away (in the center) of the trunk, I dont know how people were tapping in there? Is there a shortcut next to the left side of the trunk that the rear wiper power and ground are?

I didn’t tap in at the plug. I used those little plastic crimps that allow you to splice into a wire. My backup cam works and is powered by the rear wiper power wire located in the hatch door.

I didn’t tap in at the plug. I used those little plastic crimps that allow you to splice into a wire. My backup cam works and is powered by the rear wiper power wire located in the hatch door.
Hi, where exactly did you tap into the rear wiper power? See my attached picture that I had previously made, Can you circle the area where you tapped? My issue is that my cameras red power wire is short, it cannot reach all the way across to the middle of the trunk where the rear wiper harness is. I'm guess you connected to a side area that somehow wired to rear wiper?

Attachments

• rear wiper.png
    rear wiper.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 109
Actually, looking at these pics I may have tapped in to the power wire at the rear wiper plug. My power cable on my cam was long enough to reach there, and I would have cut the cable sheathing back to get room to work with. I would have grounded the camera wire to the door itself and not to the ground wire for the rear wiper.

Sorry, I’m working from memory having done this years ago. If your cam wire is too short I’d extend it with some wire to get there.

Actually, looking at these pics I may have tapped in to the power wire at the rear wiper plug. My power cable on my cam was long enough to reach there, and I would have cut the cable sheathing back to get room to work with. I would have grounded the camera wire to the door itself and not to the ground wire for the rear wiper.

Sorry, I’m working from memory having done this years ago. If your cam wire is too short I’d extend it with some wire to get there.
So you grounded it to the trunk frame you mean? ? like one of the metal pieces sticking out in my pic? By wrapping it around and around? I am not an expert in this. We have the same car so whatever you did I will do. Just need to be sure I do the exact same.

Ok where do people go to get an extension for that type of wire?

Also, your red power wires for your camera were longer than this? I thought all of them were the same length?

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 81
Check this video out around 2:45 and you can see what my camera cable looked like. Mine had a dedicated power cable that was separate from the video cable. Unfortunately the video isn’t applicable for an install to the stock head unit that functions like ours, but it’ll teach what all of the different wires are for: Car Backup Cameras Explained: How To Install On Your Car!

That little red wire can be used in several different ways, but I didn’t have to use it at all with my particular camera model and with our stock head unit. If that little red wire is the only way to supply power to your camera, you can get similar gauge/diameter wire at a hardware store and splice/extend your wire with wire connectors that crimp.

And yes, I took my ground wire and attached it to the door frame. I think I loosened a nearby nut slightly, wrapped the cable around the bolt, and tightened the nut down on top it (perhaps with the wire under a washer, honestly can’t remember). A cleaner way would have been to add a loop style connector to the end of the wire and slide the loop down the bolt, and add a nut on top. However, I didn’t have any extra connectors handy or a nut that fit those bolts.

My camera positive red wire is wired to the red wire attached to the yellow RCA cord. It is safe to run an extension red wire to TWO joined red wires? Basically 2 red wires join into extension > to rear wiper power wire?

Can you post a picture of that? I’m not much of an expert on this either, but that might be able to generate more help.

That red wire on the RCA cable is usually used to 1) trigger an aftermarket head unit, or 2) to provide power from the front of the car. I saw that second method on another YouTube video, but you shouldn’t have to do that. My gut is thinking you can undo the camera positive wire and tap into the rear wiper, but I don’t know why it’s attached to the red wire on the RCA cable right now.

No no. Not talking about the red wire at head unit. On the opposite side at the trunk the manuals require you to tap that red wire to the red wire from camera. Then the ground. Currently I joined the two red and used a t tap to tap into reverse light wire. Since I need an extension I assume it would be no issue to tap the two into an extension by crimping then to the rear wiper power.

Look at the picture here. See the two positive wires joined? Those are the two joined wires I need to have the extension joined to reach rear wiper.
Screenshot_20220224-182849_Chrome.jpg

Perfect, thanks for the pic!

Undo the “Camera Power Cable” from the red wire on the RCA cable. I’m fairly certain it’s not doing anything how it’s currently hooked up. The red on the RCA cable will not be hooked up to anything on either end if I remember correctly. It’s not needed at all as the Mazda head unit doesn’t have a trigger wire, and you’re going to get power from the rear wiper.

Tap the red wire from the “Camera Power Cable” into the 12 volt rear wiper wire. It should be plenty long enough. I recommend using a “T-Tap” wire connector to tap into the rear wiper wire. If you don’t know which wire is the 12 volt on the rear wiper (I don’t remember the wire colors), you can find it with a multimeter or you might have to have an vehicle AV/shop do this for you : ) I’d hate for you to tap or splice into the wrong wire and your rear wiper no longer works.

Last edited:
Perfect, thanks for the pic!

Undo the “Camera Power Cable” from the red wire on the RCA cable. I’m fairly certain it’s not doing anything how it’s currently hooked up. The red on the RCA cable will not be hooked up to anything on either end if I remember correctly. It’s not needed at all as the Mazda head unit doesn’t have a trigger wire, and you’re going to get power from the rear wiper.

Tap the red wire from the “Camera Power Cable” into the 12 volt rear wiper wire. It should be plenty long enough. I recommend using a “T-Tap” wire connector to tap into the rear wiper wire. If you don’t know which wire is the 12 volt on the rear wiper (I don’t remember the wire colors), you can find it with a multimeter or you might have to have an vehicle AV/shop do this for you : ) I’d hate for you to tap or splice into the wrong wire and your rear wiper no longer works.

Wait a minute. Those little red wires on those RCAs aren't required for us?? Are you serious? That was only Power for those needed trigger wire? How will the screen know to switch though if none get wired to anything? Anywho. If that's the case I may be able to reach it if it's not needed. Why do these instructions always tell us to do the wrong thing? I hope what you said works.

Yeah, I double checked my thought process.

The only reason you would need the red RCA wire done the way you have it pictured/described in the manual is if the head unit has a trigger wire. The manual wiring suggestion makes sense when hooking up to the reverse light. It would send 12 volts through the RCA red wire and up to the red wire on the opposite end of the RCA at the head unit trigger wire. That tells the head unit it’s in reverse and displays the cam.

However! Our CX-5 head unit somehow knows it’s in reverse without a trigger wire. It just doesn’t have one. Therefore, you don’t need to connect the red RCA wires at all. We’re not using the tail light, the camera is always going to be powered by the rear wiper. The head unit will display the camera when the transmission is in reverse, and I wish I knew how it did that lol but it does : )

Yeah, I double checked my thought process.

The only reason you would need the red RCA wire done the way you have it pictured/described in the manual is if the head unit has a trigger wire. The manual wiring suggestion makes sense when hooking up to the reverse light. It would send 12 volts through the RCA red wire and up to the red wire on the opposite end of the RCA at the head unit trigger wire. That tells the head unit it’s in reverse and displays the cam.

However! Our CX-5 somehow knows it’s in reverse without a trigger wire. It just doesn’t have one. Therefore, you don’t need to connect the red RCA wires at all. We’re not using the tail light, the camera is always going to be powered by the rear wiper. The head unit will display the camera when the transmission is in reverse, and I wish I knew how it did that lol but it does : )
Yes If you go into diagnostic mode and press 15 I think it should we have built in reverse trigger. However I thought the other little red wire was power for the screen to switch and the "trigger wire" was actually a thin pin that slid Ina empty hole. My rca adapter came with thin pins for trigger. Anyway I'm glad I talked to you. If you have the same car as me and did it there is no reason to argue this and I need to follow what you said.

This is what I used but it’s not available anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I don’t remember having to use an adapter for plugging into the head unit but I could be wrong. I think there was an RCA input on the back of the head unit and that was it.

Back