2013 CX-5 How to Tap Into Rear Wiper 12v?

This is what I used but it’s not available anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I don’t remember having to use an adapter for plugging into the head unit but I could be wrong. I think there was an RCA input on the back of the head unit and that was it.
Oh. There is no built in rca in stock head unit for 2013 cx5 sport. Yours is 2013 cx5 sport? Now I'm curious to how yours was wired there. I had to buy that small rca adapter to plug in the empty hole at the back.

I took a look at your camera photos. We use the same wires. Your camera is 24volts. Mine is 12v. There was no conflict wiring 24v to the 12v wire?

Oh. There is no built in rca in stock head unit for 2013 cx5 sport. Yours is 2013 cx5 sport? Now I'm curious to how yours was wired there. I had to buy that small rca adapter to plug in the empty hole at the back.
Yeah, mine is a 13 Sport. And you’re absolutely right. I checked my eBay history and here is what I used: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I suck at this game XD

I took a look at your camera photos. We use the same wires. Your camera is 24volts. Mine is 12v. There was no conflict wiring 24v to the 12v wire?
No camera issues using 12 volts.

No camera issues using 12 volts.
Oh ok. At least I know that can be done in the future if I ever need to. My goodness. If i hadn't talked to you, I was going to wire that little red wire at the head unit rca to a "reverse wire" people were telling me. When our car doesn't even have one? This has been crazy. Come to think of it maybe they thought I had an aftermarket head unit. On alot of those, there are those kind of wires. But at least someone will learn from this thread in the future.

It didn't work. I connected the camera red wire to 12v rear wiper wire by tapping. Then grounded to frame. The camera didn't even power on at all in diagnostic mode. The previous wiring I had before at least the camera powered in diagnostic mode. I think I give up here. I've been at this for months and been getting tired with disconnecting battery over and over and cant keep my trunk lid and parts opened up forever.

Hey, it worked! Right when I was about to put my trunk back together. I decided to use the multimeter to double check the bolt I was using to ground. It turns out not all of the bolts sticking out at the trunk are really ground. Found the right bolt to ground and it worked. Thanks bud.

⋯ We’re not using the tail light, the camera is always going to be powered by the rear wiper. The head unit will display the camera when the transmission is in reverse, and I wish I knew how it did that lol but it does : )
Would you mind to explain why the backup camera uses the +12V power from the “rear wiper” instead of the backup light or a constant +12V power? I’d believe the +12V power feeding to the rear wiper is only be activated when we turn the rear wiper switch on, not necessary at the time we shift the gear into reverse?

Last edited:
Would you mind to explain why the backup camera uses the 12V power from “rear wiper” instead of the tail light? I’d believe the 12V power feeding to the rear wiper is only be activated when we turn the rear wiper switch on, not necessary at the time we shift the gear into reverse?
For some reason the the stock head unit won’t consistently switch to the backup camera view. The only sure fire method seems to be powering from the rear wiper from what I saw in related threads.

I don’t know why the 12 volt wire to the rear wiper is always live, but it is regardless of the selector position for the rear wiper.

Last edited:
L
For some reason the the stock head unit won’t consistently switch to the backup camera view. The only sure fire method seems to be powering from the rear wiper from what I saw in related threads.

I don’t know why the 12 volt wire to the rear wiper is always live, but it is regardless of the selector position for the rear wiper.
So it’s based on people’s trial and error and found the “magic power” from the rear wiper. And looks like the +12V feeding to the rear wiper is always on and those aftermarket backup cameras have to use that constant +12V power. I guess I need to find the wiring diagram of the rear wiper if I really want to figure it out why. Thanks for the reply, and I’m sure the OP now is really happy to resolve the month long issue for backup camera installation now finally working properly, mainly with your help!

Last edited:
Back