2013 CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package, bi-xenon auto-leveling headlights

CocoD

:
2013 Mazda cx-5 GT
I am looking to purchase a used 2013 CX-5 GT advertised as "2013 CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package". I do not know much about vehicles, and was wondering if someone could answer this question for me. The sales guy said it has the tech package which includes :1. Navigation 2. Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry 3. Alarm system 4. Bi-xenon headlights with auto leveling 5. Pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) 6. Auto dimming mirror w/ Homelink

My questions is, in the 2013 CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package, is there an "AFS" button or switch in the vehicle? I honestly could not tell by test driving it during the day if it actually had the bi-xenon auto leveling, and pivoting adaptive lighting system...assuming there would be a button in the vehivle near the BSM,TCS OFF, TPMS SET buttons, which there is not. It has the Nav, keyless entry, and auto dimmin mirror w/ homelink... so I am not sure if this is actually the tech package..

My understanding is that if it has the bi-xenon headlights, it is the Tech package and I don't believe there is a button to turn the AFS on and off. You can usually tell by looking at the headlights, when they're on, whether it has the halogen or xenons by the colour of the light.

Based on what you have said and what it includes, it sounds like the Tech package to me. In the 2014 Tech package in Canada, Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system was also included; however, I don't know it that was available in the 2013 or a 2014 upgrade.

I have a 2014 and I have the AFS button to turn off the adaptive lighting. I'm unsure about the 2013.

Here is the 2013 U.S. Owner's Manual. Not sure if there is any difference for Canadian or European models.

Page 4-45.

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2013_CX5_OM.pdf

AFS OFF switch
Pressing the AFS OFF switch turns off the
AFS. The AFS OFF indicator light in the
instrument cluster illuminates.
Pressing the AFS OFF switch again turns
off the switch illumination and turns on
the AFS operation. The AFS OFF
indicator light turns off.

If it has the tech package it should have the four buttons to the left of the steering wheel for the TPMS, BSM, AFS, and Traction Control.

2013-Mazda-CX-5-Interior-1024x640.jpg

I honestly could not tell by test driving it during the day if it actually had the bi-xenon auto leveling, and pivoting adaptive lighting system

Yes it has AFS button.
The Tech packages includes bi xenon with adaptive/auto leveling.
Easy way to tell if it has Xenon lights:
Have someone get in the car and turn on the headlights.
Go in front of the car.
Look at the low beam headlight, now have the person turn on the HIGH BEAMS.
If the low beam section goes high, it's the bi-xenon.
If it turns off and the bulb next to it (drl area, the most inner bulb next to the grill) turns on high beam, it's not xenon equiped.

Also to see the AFS, the car has to be moving while you turn the wheel and you can see the lights move left/right.
Harder during daylight, but if you're moving towards a WALL you can see it.

Last edited:
Just make sure you update the Navigation to the latest software and map...it is worth it! The software is free, the map is like $40...

Tech pack has an AFS Off button no matter the year. You can also tell if they are AFS equipped bi-xenonx by looking at the projector. It has two parts to it's shroud and the projector and the lens itself is larger than models without the tech pack.

Back