2010 Touring Tire Recommendations

resqguy

:
Mazda Cx9 Touring
At 77K miles I'm looking for replacement tires. I see recommendations about the Spec X but I am concerned about tire life. I understand that the Yokos improve the ride on the GT models with 20in wheels but the ride is fine on my Touring with the Dueler H/L 400s (18in wheels). I have 77K on the Duelers and the most I see on the Yokos is 50K. So based on ride and value the Duelers have the edge.

What kind of real mileage is everyone getting on the Yokos compared to the OEM Duelers?

Are there any other tires I should be considering? I live in the mountains of NC so we do get a little ice and snow in winter. Performance in wet is also a priority.

Based on UTQ, Dueler is rated at only 300, while Spec-X at 420.
Apple-to-apple, Spec-X will outlast a Deuler.
UTQ rating is done by each tire maker based on Fed guidelines. It is as fair and objective as you can get now.

For my 20", the Dueler only lasted less than 23K (could have lasted 30K, but I disliked it),
after which my Spec-X has lasted 30K and still with 40% left.

Last edited:
Hey resqguy, I echo what ceric has said regarding the Yokohama Spec-X tires. We too only got that low mileage on our original Duelers on our 09 X9 and the Yoko's now have over 56K on them! Granted we are getting ready to replace them within the next 5K miles, but these tires have been trouble-free! Take a good long look BEFORE you take the plunge. It will be worth your time.

Nitto NT850. Treadwear is 500. That's what I've got, and i'm about up for new tires. I've been going back and forth between 850's and the Parada Spec X... There are a lot of people on Tire Rack that report very short lifespan on the Spec X, poor hydroplaning resistance with the Spec X, and decreasing performance quickly as the tread wears.

It seems like a good tire but for hydroplaning resistance, but I think that combined with the lifespan may shy me away and I'll likely just get another set of Nitto NT850's again. My Nitto's are down to 4/32nds, and have performed admirably, but at 4/32, snow performance will be null this winter, and water channeling is not very effective either.

Back