2010 MS3 oil change info

Dont forget part number 9956 41 400 & we use Motul 5w30 5.5L dont worry the extra will be needed..

I know this is SOP, but taking off the oil cap will make the oil draining process faster. Also, if you have some spare cash, look into getting a Fumoto Valve to make things even faster and less messy.

You let it drain for 4 hours? holy hell that's thorough.

As for the fill capacity...dunno what to tell ya. My car was only slightly warm when I did my oil change, it was on ramps, and I let it drain for 30 minutes or so. I filled it with 5.25 quarts and pulled it off the ramps, then let it sit for 10 minutes. It was down near the low mark. I added 1/2 quart. It was at 3/4 full or so. I went ahead and just finished pouring in the last quart (6 total) and it hit the full mark. I checked a few hours later and it was slightly above the full mark, but not by any amount I'd be concerned with.

My car was over the full mark from the factory as well. FWIW, it sure looked like a good 6 quarts drained out. My drain pan was nearly overflowing.

I only ended up using about 5.3 qts, drove around for 10 minutes and checked the stick, it read full.

You let it drain for 4 hours? holy hell that's thorough.

As for the fill capacity...dunno what to tell ya. My car was only slightly warm when I did my oil change, it was on ramps, and I let it drain for 30 minutes or so. I filled it with 5.25 quarts and pulled it off the ramps, then let it sit for 10 minutes. It was down near the low mark. I added 1/2 quart. It was at 3/4 full or so. I went ahead and just finished pouring in the last quart (6 total) and it hit the full mark. I checked a few hours later and it was slightly above the full mark, but not by any amount I'd be concerned with.

My car was over the full mark from the factory as well. FWIW, it sure looked like a good 6 quarts drained out. My drain pan was nearly overflowing.

I take this back. After driving yesterday, I let it sit and re-checked. It was overfilled. I ended up draining some out of it...probably around 1/2 quart before I got it down enough. PITA draining oil without draining all of it, and without making a mess, lol.

I don't know if it was all in my head or not, but it "felt" like my crankshaft was heavier yesterday. And today it feels light. I might just be crazy though.

Also, my damn dipsick is reading around 2/3 full now. This is starting to annoy me.

But yeah, you are right about dealers and jiffy lubes...they will drain these cars for 3 mins and fill with 6 quarts. A lot of overfilled cars will run around. Not to mention, all the accidental fills with 5w20 that we are already seeing....even at dealers.

I think you're still trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The capacity is 6 quarts. You can't get 6 quarts out of your engine since it pools and collects in places that won't just simply drain. If you could take the engine out of the car, then rotate it every which way and upside down, then you MIGHT be able to get all the oil out.

Also, did you burn any oil during break-in?

I well understand that all oil cannot be drained out of an engine, but the manufacturer should take this into consideration then when posting a oil capacity / oil fill spec.
The manufacturer lists the oil capacity of the engine, not the "this is how much oil you put back in your engine after you think you've drained it all."

You are clearly very thorough and let yours drain out over a 4-hour period. Would the guy who only let it drain for 3 or 4 minutes follow the same refill capacity that you would if the manufacturer had it listed? They list the total engine capacity, and it's up to us to be smart enough to know, when we start getting close, we need to check it and not just dump it all in because we think that's what the manual is telling us.

Think of it this way. Power is measured, by the manufacturer, at the engine. We all know it's quite a bit different at the wheels.

I wasn't able to figure out why Mazda rated the DISI at 6 quarts. At my first OCI, I let my MS6 drain for over an hour, changed the filter and stupidly just dumped in 6 quarts. It was quite a bit overfull according to the dipstick.

So going forward, I just poured in 5 quarts, drove it around the block, let it sit for about 30 minutes and topped it up until it reached the full line. Usually around 5.3 quarts.

It's not hurting anything to overfill the engine by .5 - .7 quarts....it's just the principle of the thing. They need to be accurate in the owner's manual..whether the engine REALLY needs 6 quarts, or the dipstick is inaccurate.....fix it.

This was kind of ridiculous because the filter and filter housing never held a full quart. Plus, why is anyone going to change the oil without changing the filter...? Though, I HAVE heard stories from the distant past of people who actually changed only the oil and not the filter, changed the filter every other time etc... just to save $3.00 a year I guess... pretty nutty.
A lot of that mentality comes from the "old days". Oil didn't always have detergents in it. Instead of all the contaminants/particles being carried to the oil filter (when cars even had them), it would actually build up on the internal engine workings. Oil also had to be changed about every 1000 miles. Kendall (I think) came out with a higher mileage oil that nearly doubled the amount of miles required before an oil change, then oil just started getting better and better. Eventually detergents were added to oil and all of that yucky stuff actually started getting carried to the filter where it belonged. Then it was recommended that the filters be changed at every oil change.

edit: but yes it's true, there are still a lot of cheapskates out there too! heh

Back