2010 CX-9 HID upgrade

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
I just received a DDM tuning HID conversion kit for the H11 low beams. I debated for awhile which voltage to go with and decided to try the 55w kit.

I understand I'll have to put holes in the rear dust covers of the headlamps to install and I already took a look at this. I would prefer to buy replacement covers and drill holes in those and save the OEM covers in case I want to put the car back to stock.

Has anyone else bought a set of these covers and if so, where did they order them and what did they cost? I want to have a reference amount for the local Mazda dealer in case he wants retail plus 10% or some crazy amount for these parts.

I found another thread regarding these kits but it's buried in this forum someplace and the search pretty much sucks so I figured I'd just start another.

Thanks guys

Sorry man I can't help you with how much those covers are. I have had my DDM 55W H-11 HID kit on my CX-9 for a few months without a single problem (knocking on wood). I never looked into these covers because I will never go back to regular bulbs after having these HIDs.

I think you may be the one who inspired me to get the 55w over the 35w.
I went with the 5000K color system too.

I've casually investigated the on the road difference in light output via google searching and not surprisingly, there are mixed opinions on weather or not 55w is too bright. I've seen some people comparing the 35W to the 55w setups both from DDM and saying it's only a little bit brighter.

My only concerns are blinding oncoming drivers and getting flashed for my brights in addition to possibly getting ticket. The blinding shouldn't be an issue due to the focused beam of these headlights, but I'm not sure about it yet.

What are you experiencing with your 55w setup in that regard? Do people ever flash their brights at you?

I really only wanted the replacement covers in the event I get a ticket for the lights and need to go back to stock. I suppose I could put a plug in the hole and seal it with RTV. That would be cheaper than buying new covers for which I have been quoted $18.73 each.

Then there is the issue of warranty work. If some kind of weird electrical problem arises in this car, weather it be due to the HID system or not, it needs to be bone stock before I take it to a dealer, otherwise they could use it as a scapegoat.

TIA

i also put 55W 6000k in my wifes cx-9. i cut a hole in the covers, kit has rubber groments to seal it back up. although at first the passenger one had condensation but its been gone for awhile now. i need to check hers out bc the other day they wouldn't turn on so we had brights on to get home then they just came on. then two days later i noticed in another cars reflection they were turning on and off, not flickering just on off in one sec intervals...i have harness so think a connection is loose. if you find the cover part number let me know i also want a back up set. but the 55w is amazing looking, so much light on the road now, hers is a sport..

If you are under warranty, then it would be wise to get the covers so that you can turn the lighting system back to stock in a jiffy. However, when I did the upgrade my warranty was long gone mileage wise so I did not have the same dilemma as you. I have had my HID kit since February and so far not one person has flashed their lights at me for being to bright.

Since our CX-9s have the projector set up, the light beam is controlled better then the regular reflector type on most other vehicles. IMHO, the 35W set up is better suited for the reflector type of headlamp housing in order to not blind on-coming traffic, however, because the beam is not controlled as good as a projector type headlamp housing the HIDs are not as efficient in reflector type housings as it is in projector type housings. This is why people who have the regular reflector type headlamp housings buy the 55W set up more so then the 35W in order to make the bulbs brighter and be able to see at night better even if its at the cause of blinding on-coming traffic.

In our case with our CX-9s and the projector type headlamp housing. The 55W kit will satisfy you 100%. I have had the 35W and now the 55W set up and they are way brighter and way better.

Alright - thanks for the feedback. I'm installing soon, hopefully this weekend.
Looks like a piece of cake. I'll order the covers later just so I have them.

Thanks guys

Nice site - thanks for the link. I could use this for my 2009 Mazdaspeed3 too.
Very handy.

My CX-9 is a 2010 which isn't listed yet, but probably is the same part.
Med Center Mazda quoted me about a buck more for the covers so their pricing is obviously kosher, which I expected.

That diagram shows an inner and outer back cover. My 2010 with halogens has just one cover.

Thanks again

Nice site - thanks for the link. I could use this for my 2009 Mazdaspeed3 too.
Very handy.

My CX-9 is a 2010 which isn't listed yet, but probably is the same part.
Med Center Mazda quoted me about a buck more for the covers so their pricing is obviously kosher, which I expected.

That diagram shows an inner and outer back cover. My 2010 with halogens has just one cover.

Thanks again

Its not an inner and outer cover, it is one for the low beam and one for the high beam. You should have both on yours as well. You will only need to drill/buy the cover for the low beam bulb which is the most outer one.

There aren't two bulbs, high, and low beam, for 2010?

Inner and Outer refer to Inside and Outside, meaning furthest from the side of the car, and closest to the side of the car.

I get it now.
Inner VS outer is not one layered on top of the other, but rather inboard and outboard next to each other just as you've described.
Outer is the one.

Thanks guys

DDM HID installed

Decided to just install it Sunday and it went without a hitch.
I put a calipers on the grommet ID and found it to be larger than three quarter inch mentioned elsewhere here. Instead I drilled a 7/8 hole in the covers using a forstner bit and then notched the holes with a utility knife so I could fit the rectangular connector through the hole with minimal clearance for the grommet.

Did any of you guys use a sealant here, like RTV or anything?
Seems like a wise idea to me considering, but maybe it's not required.

Mounted the balasts to brace inside the fender on both sides. Worked perfectly although it's a bit difficult to access them and I'm questioning how I'll tear them out if they ever die on me later. Might be a fun time trying to remove them with all that foam mounting tape.

Anyway, both lights worked right out of the box. One of them flickers more than the other during warm up, but otherwise they look exactly the same and are the perfect color IMO. They don't look to bright to me either.
So far I am quite satisfied.

Now I want to upgrade more lighting.

Since we bought a touring we didn't get fogs.
I'm thinking about adding them. Going to start a new thread on that.
Dealer quoted me over $500 plus another $150 to install it. I think I can do it myself without a problem.

Thanks guys

It's funny, I bought the DDM 55w 8000k kit for my wife's CX9 in December and did not install it until about 1 month ago. I was able to fit the cover with the wire sticking out. I was thinking about drilling a small hole, but I decided against it. I had to take out the coolent holding box to get access to the passenger's side light.

The lights are amazing! I thought they would be blue, but as stated on the DDM wedsite, the 55w 8K kit is almost identical to the 35w 6k kit (which I have on my Accord).

Decided to just install it Sunday and it went without a hitch.
I put a calipers on the grommet ID and found it to be larger than three quarter inch mentioned elsewhere here. Instead I drilled a 7/8 hole in the covers using a forstner bit and then notched the holes with a utility knife so I could fit the rectangular connector through the hole with minimal clearance for the grommet.

Did any of you guys use a sealant here, like RTV or anything?
Seems like a wise idea to me considering, but maybe it's not required.

Mounted the balasts to brace inside the fender on both sides. Worked perfectly although it's a bit difficult to access them and I'm questioning how I'll tear them out if they ever die on me later. Might be a fun time trying to remove them with all that foam mounting tape.

Anyway, both lights worked right out of the box. One of them flickers more than the other during warm up, but otherwise they look exactly the same and are the perfect color IMO. They don't look to bright to me either.
So far I am quite satisfied.

Now I want to upgrade more lighting.

Since we bought a touring we didn't get fogs.
I'm thinking about adding them. Going to start a new thread on that.
Dealer quoted me over $500 plus another $150 to install it. I think I can do it myself without a problem.

Thanks guys

I'm not sure for the 2010, but for my 08 CX-9 you have to remove the bumper cover and that alone must be a PIA. .
For $150 intallation, I would pay to get it done.

I'm not sure for the 2010, but for my 08 CX-9 you have to remove the bumper cover and that alone must be a PIA. .
For $150 intallation, I would pay to get it done.

I was thinking the same thing. I will get the fogs, but I will probably go with HID replacements on the fogs so I can run them as DRLs too. I will implement the rewire job to get them to turn on separately too.

Follow up post - turns out the 55W are great for visibility but too bright for oncoming traffic so I will eventually downgrade to the 35W kit.
Just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. Too many people are flashing their brights at me during evening driving and I don't feel it's safe.
The fogs are still up in the air. Don't need more light right now but I might after downgrading to the 35W - we'll see.

I bought mine from this local place here in florida and he installed it in 5 minutes no drilling this hid has a ballast and everything. message me if you want me to get his email address i paid $75 and he installed for $25, he can probably ship it to you, he did the same on our nissan quest no drilling either and i've had mine for over 6 mos now and has no problem, mine is the little bluish color before you become blue but higher than dealer cant remeber if 10k .. hope this helps

I have HID's on my fogs but when my guy was installing it, he did not remove the bumper cover. You can access it underneath by the front fender by simply removing the black plastic covers. It's a lot easier than removing the bumper cover.

I have HID's on my fogs but when my guy was installing it, he did not remove the bumper cover. You can access it underneath by the front fender by simply removing the black plastic covers. It's a lot easier than removing the bumper cover.

Good advice. I was kinda hoping it was that easy. I also suspect adding the fogs to a GT is pretty easy and I believe the wiring is probably already in place too. They want a crapload of money to install the fogs for you and I know I can DIY it no problem. Just can't accept the parts price right now of $500.00. Screw that - I need other s*** more than silly fog lights on my wife's 9. Like an HT for my MS3 for example!

Back