2010 CX-7 2.5L Coolant Leak - Thermostat Housing?

sleepwalker

:
2010 Mazda CX-7 i Sport
(Edit to add - just over 178k miles.)

A couple weeks ago I started having a coolant leak problem. It's not a really heavy leak and it's only a few miles to work so I've just been keeping an eye on it and keeping it topped up, but last weekend, a ~26 mile trip required almost a gallon to refill.

The one time I was actually able to get out and look while it was steaming, it appeared to be coming from where I'm nearly certain the thermostat and housing are, on the driver side of the engine. There's a bunch of hoses and wiring harnesses and engine bay stuff in the way and I couldn't get a really good look, but that's where it looked like it was coming from.

So, I'm gonna be digging into it and replacing the thermostat and the housing. But before I dig in I figured I'd ask around. Is this a common thing for the 2.5L? Is there anything else in particular I ought to be looking for when I tear into it? Anyone out there had this problem, *thought* it was what I think it is, and then discovered it was a different problem?

Input. Need input.

(Edit to add - just over 178k miles.)

A couple weeks ago I started having a coolant leak problem. It's not a really heavy leak and it's only a few miles to work so I've just been keeping an eye on it and keeping it topped up, but last weekend, a ~26 mile trip required almost a gallon to refill.

The one time I was actually able to get out and look while it was steaming, it appeared to be coming from where I'm nearly certain the thermostat and housing are, on the driver side of the engine. There's a bunch of hoses and wiring harnesses and engine bay stuff in the way and I couldn't get a really good look, but that's where it looked like it was coming from.

So, I'm gonna be digging into it and replacing the thermostat and the housing. But before I dig in I figured I'd ask around. Is this a common thing for the 2.5L? Is there anything else in particular I ought to be looking for when I tear into it? Anyone out there had this problem, *thought* it was what I think it is, and then discovered it was a different problem?

Input. Need input.
Do you still have that problem?

Back