2009 CX-9 GT AWD Towing weight distribution hitch

Hello folks,

(Sorry in advance as I'm a newbie here, it's my first attempt at posting and thanks for your patience....)

Question: is the factory installed (OEM) tow/hitch on a 2009 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD attached to its frame..? The local-shop I'm working with to buy/get a weight-distribution hitch first said 'can't use weight-distribution on 09 CX-9' and after I shared info. I gathered online/google, they asked if I can call Mazda to find if their OEM hitch is attached to the frame? I tried using the call, email, chat options via MazdaUsa site and non work, everything seems to be inactive or non-responding (...it's strange that their website details operation hours, contact time but nothing works...)

More Info: I've a 2009 CX-9 GT AWD with (OEM) factory installed tow/hitch (I think they default to 2" with 3500 lbs max tow cap) I'm planning to pick/tow our new travel-trailer (16' about 2600 lbs) cross-country/long-distance. Since we are traveling with a 4 year old, I wanted to look into the safety features like adding a trailer brake controller and getting a weight distribution hitch. (I'm an experienced driver but work-in-progress in the towing department)
  • I'm scheduled to get brake controller w/ charge line (proportional) installed
  • However, the same local-shop where I'm getting the brake work done, at first said "09 CX-9 can't use weight distribution", and later on (after I told them that there are weight distribution hitch for my vehicle in market) they asked if I have factory installed/OEM or custom installed hitch. Upon finding that it's factory installed they said if I can find out from Mazda whether their factory installed hitch is attached to the body/frame of the vehicle, and if that's the case then they would be happy to find/install a weight-distribution hitch for me.
Anything else should you see recommending so I'm prepared better (...should I get transmission cooler or such...?) kindly do share/suggest, I appreciate your time and feedback.

Cheers,
Atul

The hitch is attached to the "frame", but the 9 is uni-body. Factory hitches are 1.25" receiver, so even less capacity than a 2" receiver. Your trailer is 2600lb dry? If so, that is a lot of trailer for a CX-9, WD or not. Depending on your model you may have a trans cooler. The brakes and transmission are barely good enough for the 9's as is, let alone towing or adding that much more weight. And don't forget about sag; them rear coils may need some help to hold the a$$ end up.

The hitch is attached to the "frame", but the 9 is uni-body. Factory hitches are 1.25" receiver, so even less capacity than a 2" receiver. Your trailer is 2600lb dry? If so, that is a lot of trailer for a CX-9, WD or not. Depending on your model you may have a trans cooler. The brakes and transmission are barely good enough for the 9's as is, let alone towing or adding that much more weight. And don't forget about sag; them rear coils may need some help to hold the a$$ end up.
Thanks much @Bronco Boy, appreciate your feedback...Yes, it's 2600lbs dry trailer...we went for this size/weight trailer thinking 3500lbs max cap of cx-9 (so like 2600lbs DW, about 500lbs people + cargo...& somewhere in there +TW would all together border around 3500lbs of max.) Thanks for the note on 1.25" received, I totally mixed it up with 2" one!

Any tips on how to identify if my model has trans cooler...? Is there high grade coils or such parts you would suggest I should look into upgrading?

We are thankful for our CX-9, it has been dependable for our family, whether driving long-distances or daily City runs. It's under 90K, maintained regularly, and we really hope for it to continue being part of our family for little longer. Costs will pile up now that mileage is in the territory of high cost repairs and would hate if we unintendedly add problems due to towing. Then again we are torn between taking some risk here versus buying another vehicle due to $$$$$ (specially how the car selling market $$ has been skyrocketing)

I'll take this info. that the "..factory hitch is attached to the 'frame'", along with your analysis, and see what does the local-shop has to suggest as well.

Again thanks for taking time and your response.

Cheers,
Atul

Last edited:
All CX-9's of that vintage had a transmission cooler - all the towing package included was a larger radiator and a different ECU which probably just turned the cooling fans on more frequently. The AWD CX-9's came with the towing package as standard equipment, at least according to what I remember.

I'd think long and hard about towing anything with an AWD first generation CX-9. The AWD system is a known issue with these things, particularly the transfer case. They tend to fail even in normal use.

A hitch receiver suitable for weight distribution needs to handle an upward twist as the WD spring bars lever the back of the car up and the front down. etrailer.com is a very good source of both parts and information. They talk about their Curt and Draw-Tite brand receivers and say that the Curt is not suitable for WD while the Draw-Tite is, and they don't say why. Both are bolted to the rear subframe. (I can guess while looking at the photos for both, but guesswork isn't safe.) https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Mazda_CX-9.htm?fUrl=-pt-Class_III-hs-2_Inch_Hitch

The transfer case is a well known weak point. I'd suggest a change of plans.

There are several parts to a "hitch." The hitch receiver is attached to the car. It carries either a hitch ball mount or a WD hitch. The hitch coupler is attached to the trailer tongue.

Back