2008 CX-9 OEM Roof Rack Failure

Has anyone had a roof rack failure? I have a 2008 CX-9 with Yakima cross rails on the OEM rails. I just had the rack fly off the car with paddleboard and cargo box attached to the Yakima cross bars.

The failure was where the plastic mounting pieces meet the aluminum side rails.

I guess that the reason for my post is to warn people that uplift can cause failure to the OEM roof rails. It's probably a good idea to tighten the bolts holding the rails down to try and prevent flexing fatigue to the plastic (my theory).

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to replace the factory rails, use a system that bolts directly to the car, or get a new car. :(

Thanks for any input.

Here are a couple photos. Miraculously, the SUP was unscathed.
After looking at the photo I'm realizing that I should have had more overhang toward the back than the front. It's deceptive when it's on the car. Apparently, the fin should go in the front too...

Attachments

• Roof Rack Carnage1.jpg
    Roof Rack Carnage1.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Roof Rack Carnage2.jpg
    Roof Rack Carnage2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
It also look like your SUP was extending off the side of the vehicle, on your “homemade” bar extensions. The portion that isn’t directly over the roof may have contributed to additional lift, and also may have caused a twisting motion. It is possible that the roof rack could withstand the lift in a vertical direction, but not the twisting force.

How fast were you going? It appears that the paddle board was acting like a wing and peeled the rack off. I've seen racks with air deflectors that prevent air from passing between the cargo and roof which may have helped in this situation.

Back