2008 CX-9 Issues and Questions

My trusty steed is getting old but still needs one more trans-continental journey to avoid the catching COVID in those flying petri-dishes ;)

Two questions, and I apologise, if they have been posted elsewhere.

1. Our one remaining working key is playing up. Sometimes it disables the immobiliser. More often than not, I sit in the drivers seat for 30 minutes like some latter day horse whisperer trying to coax the 'key' sign on the dashboard from disappearing. I move the key around the cabin from pillar to post in an attempt to find some random sweet spot where the key and immobiliser can converse in the same tongue. Mazda Europe say that a new keycard cannot be procured. This is blatant lie, but I won't tell them so, as I need them to reprogram the OEM one I have bought from an outfit in Dubai - god speed.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a sweet spot or some witchcraftery I could use to bypass the immobiliser . Alternatively, I could simply have Mazda disable the immobiliser (insurance consequences be damned) and I can use the old skool key to fire her up. This, Mazda says , is not an option. The car has been a good friend for 14 years and the next owner will probably be the scrap yard so I'm not so worried about hobbling the resale value - any suggestions welcome

2. I have a standard aftermarket tow hitch with an industrial solid steel bike rack. We have purchased a Honda Monkey 125 which is a mini bike and weighs in at 90kg/208lb. Does anyone know whether this dead weight is within the tolerances for the CX-9 tow hitch (I wish I could tell you more about the exact type)

Can't help you with the keycard connections....

But, it looks like the aftermarket tow hitches can handle 400lbs tongue weight. Yours "Should" handle the mini bike, but you'll also want to add the weight of whatever you are using as a mount.

1. Our one remaining working key is playing up. Sometimes it disables the immobiliser. More often than not, I sit in the drivers seat for 30 minutes like some latter day horse whisperer trying to coax the 'key' sign on the dashboard from disappearing. I move the key around the cabin from pillar to post in an attempt to find some random sweet spot where the key and immobiliser can converse in the same tongue. Mazda Europe say that a new keycard cannot be procured. This is blatant lie, but I won't tell them so, as I need them to reprogram the OEM one I have bought from an outfit in Dubai - god speed.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a sweet spot or some witchcraftery I could use to bypass the immobiliser . Alternatively, I could simply have Mazda disable the immobiliser (insurance consequences be damned) and I can use the old skool key to fire her up. This, Mazda says , is not an option. The car has been a good friend for 14 years and the next owner will probably be the scrap yard so I'm not so worried about hobbling the resale value - any suggestions welcome

There is no way to disable the immobilizer (without tons and tons of work). I have similar issues, and just use the key after a few minutes of trying the smart key. Check for trouble codes; mine shows a communication error with "door module B". Working on trying to figure it out, but it is low on my list of things to do right now.

Can't help you with the keycard connections....

But, it looks like the aftermarket tow hitches can handle 400lbs tongue weight. Yours "Should" handle the mini bike, but you'll also want to add the weight of whatever you are using as a mount.
Thanks for that. I'm reckoning on about 30lbs for the bike rack.

Help me - what am I doing wrong? When I use the key, the dashboard lights up like a Catherine Wheel but the engine doesn't turn as the immobiliser disables it.
Are you using the key from the smart-key? It is chipped. Sounds like you may have a non-chipped key, which won't disable the immobilizer.

Might be able to have it re-programmed.
Thanks for all your help thus far. Last question. There definitely seems to be communication in one direction. When I press on the black buttons on the external door handles, the key fob blinks. This seems to suggest that either the smart key isn't transmitting or the immobiliser isn't receiving

Thanks for all your help thus far. Last question. There definitely seems to be communication in one direction. When I press on the black buttons on the external door handles, the key fob blinks. This seems to suggest that either the smart key isn't transmitting or the immobiliser isn't receiving
Same with mine. When the car won't start, I can press the fob buttons and the red led will illuminate, so I believe the problem on the vehicle side not the remote side.

Mine is so annoying; it will be fine and let me start the car, but before I even get my hand off the ignition, the dash light is flashing that it lost communication with the fob. Even more annoying when it doesn't work at all.

I suspect the main alarm module or a bad antenna somewhere.

Got spare key. Mazda dealer is not optimistic that sole 'faulty' key can be cloned. If this goes wrong then whole car will be immobilised.

Question: if the car is immobilised can the 'immobiliser' be swapped out - no doubt at great cost?

Got spare key. Mazda dealer is not optimistic that sole 'faulty' key can be cloned. If this goes wrong then whole car will be immobilised.

Question: if the car is immobilised can the 'immobiliser' be swapped out - no doubt at great cost?
The "keyless control module" is the brain for the immobilizer, mounted up behind the cluster, and can fairly easily be replaced.

Back