2008 CX-9 GT with Nav - IPOD?

nick2421

Hi,

I have a 2008 CX9 GT with Nav and RSES.
My CX9 does not have the sirus reciever, only the attenna on the windshield.

I'm planning on purchasing a Ipod for Christmas.

The sales manager told me a few months back that I would need a ipod intergration kit in order to connect the ipod.

I took the car in for service this morning, and asked the service rep how much would the kit cost to install.

The service manager asked if I have the sirus reciever.
I told them I dont plan on installing the sat radio anytime soon.
Something about another aux port or box that would need to be installed to use both the sat radio and the ipod?

The service dept looked futher in there computer.
They told me that the 2008 nav is not compatible with the ipod cable or integration kit?

Is this true? This is disappointing.

I'm hoping the service dept made a mistake or if possible there might be a firmware update?
Do I have any other options to install a Ipod?

Would love to see the album/artist/track info on the nav.
Retail cds dont have this info. Only if I make a copy of them.

Any additonal info would be appreciated.

Thank You
Nick

Hi,

I have a 2008 CX9 GT with Nav and RSES.
My CX9 does not have the sirus reciever, only the attenna on the windshield.

I'm planning on purchasing a Ipod for Christmas.

The sales manager told me a few months back that I would need a ipod intergration kit in order to connect the ipod.

I took the car in for service this morning, and asked the service rep how much would the kit cost to install.

The service manager asked if I have the sirus reciever.
I told them I dont plan on installing the sat radio anytime soon.
Something about another aux port or box that would need to be installed to use both the sat radio and the ipod?

The service dept looked futher in there computer.
They told me that the 2008 nav is not compatible with the ipod cable or integration kit?

Is this true? This is disappointing.

I'm hoping the service dept made a mistake or if possible there might be a firmware update?
Do I have any other options to install a Ipod?

Would love to see the album/artist/track info on the nav.
Retail cds dont have this info. Only if I make a copy of them.

Any additonal info would be appreciated.

Thank You
Nick

I don't believe that your Mazda Service department is correct. You don't need Sirius to have the iPod integration kit (to the best of my knowledge). You probably do need to switching kit (but not sure of that).

The other option is to burn a bunch of MP3 CDs and load up your system. The CD player reads all the MP3 ID Tags/Metadata and displays it all on your display screen, just like an iPod.

Would it be possible to switch the 08 Nav for a 09 Nav as a option to get the IPOD intergration to work?
Or, would the dice unit be a better choice?

Maybe its too much hassle/cost, and I should just settle with the aux cable?

Nick,
I think the IPod kit does not work with 2008 model with NAVI. Period.
That is one of the major complaints about CX9 of early models (accessories were poorly planned).
Anyway, 2009 has the major improvements.

The 09 NAVI has different GUI and better resolution screen. I doubt that it is easy (very costly if even possible) to swap the NAVI from 08 to 09.

If you really must have the IPod interface, find aftermarket source.

Thanks for all your responses.
It's just too much hassle.

I think I'm just going to use the aux cable.
Create a long playlist, and I will be all set.

Does the dealer sell the cable?
Is it worth buying / differnet brand elsewhere or is it just a simple ipod to aux connecter type cable?

Is there any issues to look out for when using the aux cable?

How does the music sound when connected to the aux cable going throught the cx9 bose speakers?

Thanks again.

Nick

You can buy aux cable from any electronics store for a couple dollars.
Don't buy it from dealer for $10. Waste of money.
The music sounds as good.
You can tell the difference only if you have trained ears. Not me.
After all D->D is, in theory, better than D->A->D (D: digital, A: analog)
Any D<->A conversion creates artifects in sound waves (shows up as low-passing or noises). Most people can't tell.

When I put CD's in my Navigation Unit, I do not get disc/track information on my screen. It always says "Unknown CD" and just Track 1, etc.

When I put CD's in my Navigation Unit, I do not get disc/track information on my screen. It always says "Unknown CD" and just Track 1, etc.

You have to burn the discs as MP3 CDs with MP3 metadata tag information. Most traditional store-bought or burnt CDs don't have this information. Thus you have a blank screen.

Back