2008 CX-9 CV Boots Gray Smudge, Engine too clean inside? Normal?

thomascgty

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Are these normal?

Is that "too clean"? Mazda dealer did the oil and oil filter change some weeks back, several times I checked the oil level, pull-wipe-insert-pull-check level (multiple times) after they did the service but could not clearly see on the dip stick the oil level. Oil was wide on the low end then becomes narrower as it goes up the dip stick; not the usual wide all the way from above the bottom of the low and high. It was barely driven since then. Just parked most of the time. No oil puddle underneath on the ground.

This evening, I checked the dip stick several times. This time, it's clear. It showed just a wee bit above the low level line.

I will try to add oil, Liqui Moly Molygen, and observe if oil level drops fast.

IMG_2405.jpeg

And is this normal? That thick gray grease on the boot.

IMG_2415.jpeg

That is wet though on the bottom. But that has been like that for some time now even before the dealer oil change.

IMG_2414.jpeg

not sure i understand the first question, you ask if your engine is too clean???

second one, well you migh have a pin hole in the CV boot as this seems like CV grease. Clean it and you might see the hole or see if it comes back.

third one, you have a small oil leak somewhere, could be from a ton of places, clean it carefully and check regularly to see where it is from but if it doesn't bother you, you can leave it like that. Probably crank seal or power steering pump

If your first question is if inside your engine is too clean, I would say if you've done regular oil changes, looks normal to me.

How long after shutting engine off are you checking dipstick? I know if I check too soon on my vehicles, there is some oil that splashes/wicks up the dipstick tube, so there is some oil higher up the sides of the dipstick.

And I agree with puma on the other 2 concerns.

Back