2004 Valve Cover Gasket and Plug Tube Seals

tomk17

:
2004 Mazda 3s
I just purchased a 2004 3s and noticed there was a little oil inside one of the spark plug holes (2nd on from left so not likely due to a still like I have read). No other leaks.

A little research indicates that a valve cover replacement with tube seals (~$15 from Rock Auto) will fix the problem. My question is how common is this and wondering if I should do it yet since it's only 1 plug seal and no other leaks? My daughter is about to take the car to FL for a year so I'm leaning toward doing it now since I likely won't see the car for a year.

Looks like an easy job based on You-Tube but any words of wisdom appreciated. I will be putting some new factory NGK plugs as well.

Changed Valve Cover Gasket

I changed the valve cover and plug tube seals this weekend and dropped in some new OEM NGK's. Job was pretty easy, had to pry the old cover off a little then she came off. Ordered the gasket that came with the plug tube seals from Rock Auto for $26 shipped. There are only 3 plug tube seals as the center seal encompasses 2 plugs. Checked internet for the tightening sequence - I did not have a torque wrench that did inch-lbs so just used moderate force trying to gauge how tight the originals were on.

Note the cover is hard plastic and there were 2 alignment guides sticking down into shallow holes - both of these broke off but I removed the pieces and put everything back. Pretty sure they were just guides that help you get the cover positioned properly but you can easily do that by looking at the bolt holes.

Used a dab of RVT oil resistant silicone on the corners where the gasket pieces together. I'll peak into the plug tubes over the next few weeks to see if this stopped the leaking into plug #3 from the left.

Latest posts

Back