2004 MSM, blown turbo?

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
Last night, the turbo on my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata started screeching. It happened very suddenly -- one minute it sounded perfectly fine, the next, absolutely horrible and grating. It definitely was not a gradual thing.

I looked under the hood and didn't see anything obvious like oil everywhere around the turbocharger, but it was dark, and the turbo on an MSM is not all that visible from that angle, so I may have well missed something obvious.

I limped my way home and kept it out of boost. I drove a slightly longer route to stay on freeways all up until the last mile or two, so I wouldn't have to stop and start at dozens of traffic lights. I just accelerated very slowly up to a safe speed in the right lane and kept it there the whole time. The engine sounded absolutely fine, and no other strange noises either.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated. My mechanical experience is limited to oil changes, brake changes, and simple bolt-on mods. The car is stock except for a SRI and a larger FMIC.

The easiest starting point is to remove the inlet pipe to the turbo and try to move the spindle with your fingers. Very slight movement from side to side is normal. There should be little to none forward/backward. Look for any wear on the sides compressor wheel fins that is indicative of contact to the compressor housing.

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

yeouch, that sounds like something wasn't happy. Definitely curious to know who dun it.

It could also be some kind of sealing issue where the air rushing by say...a bad gasket, is causing a screeching noise.

Or maybe something broke loose and went through it... and for a brief moment your turbo became a garbage disposal.

It could also be some kind of sealing issue where the air rushing by say...a bad gasket, is causing a screeching noise.

I've heard that sound on my friend's 524td. It's a horrible noise.

Back