NB MX-5 Shinsen - Price Check and PPI Points to Check?

JAmador

:
Spring, TX
:
Malibu/ExpedMax
Have long liked the Shinsen pkg cars since I test drove one in college when they were only a few years old.

Would love an ND, but way out of budget currently.

Found one semi-local, about 4 hours away.

2003 (obviously) Shinsen
140k. Has the side skirt ground effects & rear spoiler, looks completely stock. Small amount of door panel wear (elbow) on driver's door.
Also looks like it has seat covers on it, so unsure of the state of the OE seats.
New top, tires & front brakes.

Value-wise, where would you start your offer?
Also, any major items to check on a test drive?

Cool find and great question...I did a quick search and found a couple listed on cargurus.com which features a price rating (not sure how accurate that is but it might give you some idea)...One is just under $12K with around 74K miles and CG says it's a "Fair Deal". The other is at $15.8K with around 87K miles and CG says "Overpriced".

bringatrailer.com had one back in 2021 that sold for $16,100 with 29K miles.

Keep in mind though, prices have probably cooled for the Shinsen since 2021 (given the current economic climate) which should make it a good time to be a buyer!

As for what to check for etc...Our resident Miata Gurus such as @CTt3P5, @bazooka joe, @Reitrof, @chiefmg should be able to chime in..😁

Keep us updated if you can!

Thanks, still waiting to hear back from the seller. 4hr drive each way, so not something I can just pop over to check out.

Apart fromhe seat coversn (unknowcondition of the OE seats) and driver door wear, it looks clean in the few photos available.

I see you also posted this question over on Miata.net. If you look in the Garage section they have what to look for when buying a used Miata, including a checklist of specifics. Understand the car is a drive for you but this will give you an idea of what you should look for if you do go to inspect it.

Being a former Shinsen owner, I know the allure of the color package. However, considering the mileage, it has a new top (guessing it is black), seat covers and damage to one of the door panels it seems like an overpriced NB to me. Unlikely but a possibility the OEM seats could be in pristine condition as the owner put them on to save the the blue seats? A good question to ask.

@chiefmg has great advice in checking out the checklists on miata.net. In addition, have you seen pics of the engine bay? If so, what color is the radiator? If it is a brownish/green color, it needs to be a priority to replace. Easy DIY if you are so inclined. Ask when the TB and WP were replaced. If not known, I'd factor that into my offer.

I know the pandemic threw everything off kilter so this isn't an accurate data point but I paid just over $6K for mine in March of 2014 with 80K miles.

As for the 4hr drive each way, you could pay for a PPI to be completed. What I did as I was flying from PA to FL befire driving home. Another option would be going on the regional section on miata.net where the car is located and asking if someone wouldn't mind checking it out for you. I have seen members over there offer before so not a crazy idea. Haha

Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips.
Still waiting to hear back from the seller.
Only 1 engine shot, tip of the rad is black.

Well, it's been a few days & no response from the seller.
May just keep an eye out for a good NB2 & hope one falls into my hands.

Back