2003 SCCA Autocross classing changes

ZoomZoomH

:
a Mulligan
fellow Protege autocrossers,

I found this on SCCA's site, here's an excerpt, take special notices on the bold texts:

------------------------------------------

The SEB has concurred with the SAC recommendations to leave the MINI Cooper
in HS
and the BMW 330Ci in DS. The SEB also approved the SAC recommendation
of reclassification of the MINI Cooper S from DS to GS, effective 1/1/2003.

After considering member input and SAC recommendations, the SEB has
selected the following actions regarding class SS, AS, and BS, and is
recommending them to the BOD, effective 1/1/2003:

1. Leave in SS: Mazda RX-7 Turbo ('93+)

2. Move from SS to AS: BMW M Coupe and Roadster ('01+), BMW M3 (E46), and
Mercedes SLK32 AMG, and Porsche Boxster S

3. Move from AS to BS: BMW M Coupe and Roadster ('96-'00)

These changes are recommended in conjunction with the new classification of
the Nissan 350Z in BS, as shown in the Tech Bulletins elsewhere herein.

TECH BULLETINS

1) Stock: Add new listings as follows:

SS - Dodge Viper SRT-10
BS - Nissan 350Z

DS - MazdaSpeed Protg
DS - Chrysler Neon SRT-4

GS - Audi V8 Quattro (change existing GS listing to "Audi V8 Quattro, A8")

------------------------------------------

competition in stock class just got harder!!!!

and MS Protege WILL go head to head against the Neon SRT-4!!!

It also looks like the DS Mini Cooper S will be moving to GS. Just what we need, a supercharged Mini to compete against. Oh well, just more cannon fodder I guess. :)

Finally, some competition!:p
GS stacks up to be a pretty damn tough class when you think about it! I'm not quite convinced that the Cooper S will be as much of a threat in GS as the regular Cooper is in HS. But it could be! It probably didn't belong in DS though. I'm happy with the changes they've made recently though and I like that the classes are challenging and any given day it anyone's race.

I raced against one last month. He couldn't keep up, but he was really new to that car also. (He only had it for a week) I'm sure the Mini S will be a decent challenge in the right hands. The problem that they will have is going to be keeping the supercharger from causing wheelspin coming out of big corners. It'll take a light foot and serious concentration. I drove it on the course, and it could move, but I still think out suspension is better, no matter how tight everyone wants to say they are. I still see them rolling.
You have to love GS. You can have a tiny CRX with just over 80hp and an Audi V8 quattro with tons of power, and they are both competitive.
I've also heard there will be some LSD cars moving in too. Just sounds like it will only make me a better driver if I want to keep up!

The LSD cars could be pretty tough. I'm with you though, I still think the MP3 could be the best car in GS.

I'm glad the P5 is still in HS, since I already made my numbers...

numbers.jpg

I think the P5 could really cause some trouble in HS in the right hands! It's a decent setup, and with some Konis and decent tiires I'd bet it can really move.
Once I get my camber issue figured out, I'm betting on being a bit quicker next year.
Does anyone know which LSD cars for sure will be in GS yet? I am not too sure LSD is fair in GS, but then I don't really have much say in it.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to get a Celica or CRX for racing. Almost bought a CRX in August. A local guy had one for $1500. If I could get it running well (for racing that is) I could make that in a weekend at a divisional autocross!

cjstringer said:
I think the P5 could really cause some trouble in HS in the right hands! It's a decent setup, and with some Konis and decent tiires I'd bet it can really move.
Once I get my camber issue figured out, I'm betting on being a bit quicker next year.
Does anyone know which LSD cars for sure will be in GS yet? I am not too sure LSD is fair in GS, but then I don't really have much say in it.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to get a Celica or CRX for racing. Almost bought a CRX in August. A local guy had one for $1500. If I could get it running well (for racing that is) I could make that in a weekend at a divisional autocross!

If you add koni's it is no longer stock, you would be STS.

eMKay said:
If you add koni's it is no longer stock, you would be STS.
Struts can be changed to any part that fits with the same spring perch height, including custom-valved and remote reservoir units.

Also open is tires (which is why you need race rubber to be competetive in stock classes,) wheels (same size and + or - .25 inch offset,) front sway bar, brake pads and cat-back exhaust provided it doesn't exceed noise limits.

Things that will throw you out of stock classes: short shifters, CAI, racing seats, drilled and/or slotted brake rotors, etc.

JasonH said:
Struts can be changed to any part that fits with the same spring perch height, including custom-valved and remote reservoir units.

Also open is tires (which is why you need race rubber to be competetive in stock classes,) wheels (same size and + or - .25 inch offset,) front sway bar, brake pads and cat-back exhaust provided it doesn't exceed noise limits.

Things that will throw you out of stock classes: short shifters, CAI, racing seats, drilled and/or slotted brake rotors, etc.

I thought we were talking about coilover kits, not different strut inserts. Those of course are legal.

Back