2003 Mazda Protege Snow Performance

mattb2004

My wife currently drives a 2003 Mazda Protege (DX, Manual) and I wanted to see if anyone else has had trouble with snow traction. The car is virtually un-driveable in the snow. We've tried two different tires so far: Kumho A/S (I can't remember the exact model) and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (which we have on the car currently). Even when the Michelin's were brand new, the car was still unable to be driven in any kind of snow conditions. Now that the Michelin's are on their way out, I'm considering some winter tires vs. all-seasons, but am not convinced this will make a difference. I drive a FWD small car and it is excellent in the snow with all-season tires. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience with this vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Matt

Seems like one issue you are having is the selection of tires. Yes, they are a/s but going to guess those Kumhos were either ASX (ultra high performance) or AST's (high performace) and the Michelins are a high performace a/s as well . Had a similiar experience with the AST's in the snow after minimal tread wear....they were $hit! That spring I bought my first ever set of winter tires and it was well worth the investment. I'd suggest going with a dedicated set for winter or look into the Kumho Ecsta 4X, Continental DWS or Goodyear Eagle GT. These specific three are supposed to offer better snow traction than your typical a/s.

If you go with winter tires, I'd suggest using the stock steelies for that purpose. Good excuse to upgrade to some nice alloys with summer rubber. ;)

Here's some fun I had with my former Blizzaks a couple of years ago (185/70/14s). :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P5snow.jpg
    P5snow.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 2,784
  • P5snow1.jpg
    P5snow1.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 2,131
Last edited:
I have high performance bridgestone all-seasons on my protege5 now and it's not great in the snow but I can get around. I had winters on it last year and the car went good in the snow.

Thanks for the replies and pics, I really appreciate it! I'll check out the tires you mentioned (or maybe just go for some dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks). By the way, the stock wheel size on this Protege is 195/55/15.

Thanks for the replies and pics, I really appreciate it! I'll check out the tires you mentioned (or maybe just go for some dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks). By the way, the stock wheel size on this Protege is 195/55/15.

I'm running cheap "Winter Claw Extreme Grip" tires made by cooper and the only time i got stuck was when we had 25-30 cm of snow a bit north of toronto much like CTt3P5, plus my car is lowered with a front lip which acted as a plow that day. I found it better than any all season tires, any cheap winter tires will perform better than the best all season tires in my opinion.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXtW_4wuEM

I did better than 2 SUV's with AWD on the same street.

Other than that i never ran into any problems. Tires are 185/60/15

I'm runing fire stone winterforce on my 323 and they are amazing. Haven't had enough snow to say the neo gens are good or not but we had about an inch on the road and they did pretty good.

NP and should be able to find a nice winter tire in that size or even run a 185/60/15 like stivine6 is. For winter, the narrower the tire the better for slicing through the snow. My stock size is 195/50/16 but I've been running a 185/70/14 in the winter. Cheaper to buy replacements and they are nice and meaty.

I'm running cheap "Winter Claw Extreme Grip" tires made by cooper and the only time i got stuck was when we had 25-30 cm of snow a bit north of toronto much like CTt3P5, plus my car is lowered with a front lip which acted as a plow that day. I found it better than any all season tires, any cheap winter tires will perform better than the best all season tires in my opinion.

To clarify, in my pics I was not stuck. Simply having some fun in a gravel lot next to my office building. I'm lowered too on Tokico Blues and Tein S-Techs and have done my share of plowing on un-touched roads. :D

Not to bump a semi-dead thread, but I agree with those guys. It's ALL in the tires with these things.

I run Fusion tires on mine and I s*** you not, this thing gets stuck on flat pavement with less than an inch of snow.

You want it to work in snow, you NEED winter tires. Not an option.

Back