2017~2024 2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

It's a 2019, with just over 62k miles, a large percentage of which is on the freeway. It just started leaking coolant with the last tank of gas.
How did you notice the leak? My coolant level is getting lower over time but I don’t spot obvious leak yet.

How did you notice the leak? My coolant level is getting lower over time but I don’t spot obvious leak yet.
It started as a slow leak, but it isn't slow anymore (we're not driving it, but I started it up recently just to move it and lost about a quart of coolant in a few minutes of idling).

My theory is that because of the plastic shield under the engine, the leaks land on the shield and blow off while driving, and unless you sit in one place for an extended period idling, there won't be enough on the tray to leak to the ground until the problem gets bad (there are lateral stiffening ridges on the tray that allow it to hold several ounces of liquid, but bouncing down the road and wind will remove it while driving).

Initially, we were seeing small puddles on the ground under the car. We wouldn't have noticed it if the undertray/splash shield were still in place under the engine. But the dealer had removed it looking for a clacking noise, and then never put it back on. (And I didn't notice that the shield was gone for several months, by which time the dealer denied that it was their doing. They also cracked the plastic cowl piece, likely from closing the hood with something on the cowl. Those two things were why I stopped going to the dealer for service, and not going to the dealer for service (for the past year) is one of the reasons that Mazda gave for not covering the repair costs).

It started as a slow leak, but it isn't slow anymore (we're not driving it, but I started it up recently just to move it and lost about a quart of coolant in a few minutes of idling).

My theory is that because of the plastic shield under the engine, the leaks land on the shield and blow off while driving, and unless you sit in one place for an extended period idling, there won't be enough on the tray to leak to the ground until the problem gets bad (there are lateral stiffening ridges on the tray that allow it to hold several ounces of liquid, but bouncing down the road and wind will remove it while driving).

Initially, we were seeing small puddles on the ground under the car. We wouldn't have noticed it if the undertray/splash shield were still in place under the engine. But the dealer had removed it looking for a clacking noise, and then never put it back on. (And I didn't notice that the shield was gone for several months, by which time the dealer denied that it was their doing. They also cracked the plastic cowl piece, likely from closing the hood with something on the cowl. Those two things were why I stopped going to the dealer for service, and not going to the dealer for service (for the past year) is one of the reasons that Mazda gave for not covering the repair costs).
Thanks for the info. I also drive a lot on highway. Recently the coolant level seems to drop faster. Now I just hope i found the issue within warranty. Mazda shouldn’t refuse to cover it just because you didn’t go to the dealer for oil change, especially if yours just passed warranty. You may want to call them again and try a different agent and mention that TSB if not done yet. This is their design issue and has nothing to do with oil changes.

I have an 18 and found out by accident that my waterpump was leaking when the Mazda dealer performed some other engine warranty work (switchable HLA's replaced). It wasn't a big leak, but I had noticed after I purchased the car (used with 19K kms. on it) that the coolant was a bit low.

Dealer replaced the pump and all's well.

I just got a 2019 Signature with 50,000k miles on it. It's on the bulletin from 10/15/2021.
The Credit Union guy gave me the CarFax to review but now I can't find it.
I remember looking it over and just noticing oil changes and tire rotations and such.
The engine compartment is extremely clean. Like brand new clean not dealer detailed clean.
I took it to the dealer to have a clunk from the front end checked out and an alignment and any software update.
They wanted $130 for the alignment and $200 to figure out the clunk. No joy trying to get them to tighten down whatever's clunking for FREE, as I bought my '03 P5 from them 20 years ago.
I didn't want to crawl around and mess with those covers underneath the vehicle.
I just paid $100 for the software update. Now it seems I'm getting worse mileage and I'm stressed out that I'll get the dreaded coolant leak.
Should've kept my P5.

Back