2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

I don’t know if it is a typo, but a 2020 cx-9 built in 2021? I would expect a 2020 cx-9 to being built in 2019 or early 2020. Maybe it is a 2021 CX-9 built in 2020?

That would change whether it has the updated head or not.
Good catch. I dont know why I put 2020. Owner states build date Jan 2021. Didn't state model year but I think it would be 2021. I will fix, thanks

So far it looks like this. But some did get free engine replacement without powertrain warranty after contacted Mazda North American Operations.
I am currently facing this issue and Mazda has not offered to replace the engine for free. Instead I have received service quotes of 6K to 10K. Any advice for me. My car is 2017 cx-9 93K miles. It ridiculous to have to pay 10K for the car. Any advice would be appreciated.

Although the TSB mentioned only cracks on cylinder head, but the fact is Mazda is replacing the entire engine (or long block) for the problem doesn’t add up. Some members even been told by the Mazda dealer that the crack is on the back side of cylinder block. Either there’re more stories haven’t been told, or there will be more TSBs coming out for this problem.
Do you know if Mazda will do this for free? I have a 2017 cx-19 with 93K miles. I am having the exact same issue. I am dropping it off at the Mazda dealer today.

If the oil analysis shows no coolant in the oil you just need to put on the updated head and exhaust gasket. Engine stays in the car.

But if mazda covers it they do the full Monty, less chance of it coming back on them

"I've seen at least one person get an engine replacement in good faith at 80+K miles..."
Bad PR costs more than an engine. Mazda wants to be known as a great car maker. They've got to protect their reputation. Mistakes happen. It's all about how the mistakes are corrected.
How do they determine who will get a free engine replaced. I am having the same issue. 2017 Mazda CX-9 93K miles. How can I persuade them to replace it for free? I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling from Puente Hills Mazda.

How do they determine who will get a free engine replaced. I am having the same issue. 2017 Mazda CX-9 93K miles. How can I persuade them to replace it for free? I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling from Puente Hills Mazda.
The engine replacement on the 2.5T with cracked head happened mostly in early days. At the time Mazda needed the engines back to research the problem. Once they determined the source of the problem, they don’t replace the engine but only replace the cylinder head.

In your situation with 93K miles you have slim chance to get free repair from Mazda North American Operations. You can always contact them trying to get some help of partial payment for the repair.

IMO the cheapest way for you to get the CX-9 fixed is to find a used 2.5T replacing yours, if MNAO refuses to help you. Unfortunately the price on used engines from salvage yard has skyrocketed nowadays.

I am curious what the new revised head cost. Might be a good sticky. And the revised exhaust gasket too.

I just reread the tsb. Apparently there is no updated head. It's just an updated exhaust gasket. Wow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230327-120413_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230327-120413_Xodo Docs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20230327-120413_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230327-120413_Xodo Docs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 105
Well that part number for the head in the above tsb has been revised a few times per my mazda dealer parts guy. Latest pn is PYY1-10-SJ0C. $850. Plenty of inventory. Says he sells about 1 head a month according to the computer between to his mechanics and customers off the street. This is a very large mazda dealership. Beginning to think this problem has been overblown a little? Hard to say.

I just reread the tsb. Apparently there is no updated head. It's just an updated exhaust gasket. Wow.
It said in description of the TSB. Both exhaust manifold gasket and cylinder head have been modified.

“DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have coolant leaks at the cylinder head around the exhaust manifold (as shown below). There may be cracks at the stud bolt hole (1) or at the outside of the exhaust manifold (2).

Cracks may be caused by:
• Deformation of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.
• Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The
external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.
To eliminate this concern, the design of the exhaust manifold gasket and the cylinder head has been modified to reduce the force on the cylinder head.”

Last edited:

Beginning to think this problem has been overblown a little? Hard to say.
Either way, it’ll be a major repair if an unlucky 2.5T owner encounters such problem. If he / she has no warranty, it’s going to cost the owner an arm and a leg. Nobody wants to be in such situation like javierHere is facing right now.

Last edited:
Well that part number for the head in the above tsb has been revised a few times per my mazda dealer parts guy. Latest pn is PYY1-10-SJ0C. $850. Plenty of inventory. Says he sells about 1 head a month according to the computer between to his mechanics and customers off the street. This is a very large mazda dealership. Beginning to think this problem has been overblown a little? Hard to say.

On the other hand, if every one of the 500+ Mazda dealers is moving one head a month, that's 6000+ a year out of maybe 100k with the marginal head. Those are not good odds.

On the other hand, if every one of the 500+ Mazda dealers is moving one head a month, that's 6000+ a year out of maybe 100k with the marginal head. Those are not good odds.
Ouch, yea, that paints a pretty bad picture!

Mazda USA recently refused to pay any cost associated with replacing the engine of my less than 5 year old Mazda. It is obvious that the Mazda defeat in the engine was at fault, TBS-01-013-21

I took my car to a Mazda dealer mechanics for 3 years. The last year and a half I took it to my personal mechanic. Mazda was not interested to see those records.

They claim that their Mazda mechanics might have caught the issue earlier. However, an email or a letter to customers letting the owners know that there could be a potential issue was never sent to me. I think this is irresponsible. I should have been notified about such a defeat.

This was a very expensive family purchase for us. We now had to pay $10K to replace the engine. Mazda USA refused to help. I read many similar cases where Mazda USA paid to have the engine replaced and in other cases paid at least for the labor.

Mazda does not stand behind their Product.

So your Mazda claimed they can get a new engine or the revised cylinder head from Mazda right now?

If I were you, I’d find a cheap used engine (LKQ?), then sell it or trade it in as the rest of CX-9 is still in good shape.

Have you ever changed ATF or front transfer case and rear differential gear oil for 250,000 miles?
Can I ask which dealer ship. I just recently had the same issue related to the

TSB 01-013/21. My CX-9 2017 was only 4 years old with 93K miles. I had to pay $10K to have the engine replaced. At LA Puente Hills Mazda.​

Mazda USA recently refused to pay any cost associated with replacing the engine of my less than 5 year old Mazda. It is obvious that the Mazda defeat in the engine was at fault, TBS-01-013-21

I took my car to a Mazda dealer mechanics for 3 years. The last year and a half I took it to my personal mechanic. Mazda was not interested to see those records.

They claim that their Mazda mechanics might have caught the issue earlier. However, an email or a letter to customers letting the owners know that there could be a potential issue was never sent to me. I think this is irresponsible. I should have been notified about such a defeat.

This was a very expensive family purchase for us. We now had to pay $10K to replace the engine. Mazda USA refused to help. I read many similar cases where Mazda USA paid to have the engine replaced and in other cases paid at least for the labor.

Mazda does not stand behind their Product.
I believe you have talked to Mazda North American Operations directly not just the Mazda dealer. I found all the excuses by MNAO are funny and how does the Mazda dealer who caught the coolant leak problem on the 2.5T “early” could help the situation?

Your 2017 CX-9 has 93K miles. Chances are slim that MNAO would give you any help at this stage although we sometimes see some exceptions. You may try to trade it in for a different car if your CX-9 is still drivable without any obvious coolant loss symptoms. Or you can try to find a used engine from a salvage yard such as LKQ.com or Car-Part.com, and this should be the cheapest way to fix your problem although used engines nowadays are much more expensive than before pandemic for some reason. You can also check with your mechanic and see how much does it cost to replace the cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket.

I think that by now, they may have enough information to determine whether just the cylinder head and gasket need to be replaced, or whether the entire engine needs to be replaced.

If you want to get rid of a vehicle, now is the best time to do it. But try to make sure you have a replacement lined up, because while trade-in values have increased, so have selling prices (for the most part).
I would definitely get rid of the vehicle before it's too late.

2016 CX-9 with 91,000 miles.
I noticed the coolant level in the tank was consistently low, even after adding more. After a week of repeatedly topping off the coolant every other day, I removed the engine undercover and discovered a messy green residue all over the place. I contacted MazdaUSA and confirmed that my 2016 CX-9 is still covered under the CPO Limited Powertrain Warranty until 7/28/23 or 100,000 miles, which is just about another two months in my case. Initially, I suspected a leaking water pump or gasket when I brought it to my local dealer. However, they informed me that it was actually a crack in the cylinder head. Fortunately, this issue will be covered by my CPO warranty, but I'll have to wait for a week to get the replacement part. In the meantime, I'm using the dealer's courtesy vehicle for free since Mazda does not cover the loaner car. I'm uncertain about how long I should remain optimistic. I had plans to continue driving my CX-9 for a long time, but now I'm not sure what to expect.

2016 CX-9 with 91,000 miles.
I noticed the coolant level in the tank was consistently low, even after adding more. After a week of repeatedly topping off the coolant every other day, I removed the engine undercover and discovered a messy green residue all over the place. I contacted MazdaUSA and confirmed that my 2016 CX-9 is still covered under the CPO Limited Powertrain Warranty until 7/28/23 or 100,000 miles, which is just about another two months in my case. Initially, I suspected a leaking water pump or gasket when I brought it to my local dealer. However, they informed me that it was actually a crack in the cylinder head. Fortunately, this issue will be covered by my CPO warranty, but I'll have to wait for a week to get the replacement part. In the meantime, I'm using the dealer's courtesy vehicle for free since Mazda does not cover the loaner car. I'm uncertain about how long I should remain optimistic. I had plans to continue driving my CX-9 for a long time, but now I'm not sure what to expect.
They should install the revised head and exhaust gasket set so your car should be solid after the repair. I am curious if you get 16 new valves or if they reuse the original ones

Back