Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
Personally I'm not so sure it's a design defect. I've taken my car to redline a bunch of times, and driven it for 12 hours straight a few times. I've also nailed tons of potholes with the OEM 20s and my 22s with 285/35 tires, and before and after I lowered the car slightly. If it was a design defect, my head should have cracked a while ago.

Maybe I just have a freak head, lol. Knock on wood, hope it gives me 100k more.

Personally I'm not so sure it's a design defect. I've taken my car to redline a bunch of times, and driven it for 12 hours straight a few times. I've also nailed tons of potholes with the OEM 20s and my 22s with 285/35 tires, and before and after I lowered the car slightly. If it was a design defect, my head should have cracked a while ago.

IMO it's a design issue. While the defective rate is unknown, it's still a defective design nonetheless given the antidote records and observations in the forum. Hope you will really do have a freak head lol.

It could be a case of each individual casting. There could have been an inconsistency in the quality of the castings even though and design element was identified. Meaning that regardless of the design defect, many heads may ultimately not fail due to a stronger cast over the next unit that does crack.

It could be a case of each individual casting. There could have been an inconsistency in the quality of the castings even though and design element was identified. Meaning that regardless of the design defect, many heads may ultimately not fail due to a stronger cast over the next unit that does crack.
IMO the design should consider these variables during manufacturing. A design which can’t cover those variables hence causes a “defective product” even in a small percentage and takes some time to expose, means that’s a design defect.

I'm the latest person to have the joy of the cracked head. I was quoted $4915. Mazda won't fix it gratis because I haven't been to the dealer in the last year, and this is only my 3rd Mazda (Protege went 238k before sold, the 3 has 198k and a dead trans).
And I don't think they took into account the loads of hanging the weight of the turbocharger off the head and American roads when designing the head.

I'm the latest person to have the joy of the cracked head. I was quoted $4915. Mazda won't fix it gratis because I haven't been to the dealer in the last year, and this is only my 3rd Mazda (Protege went 238k before sold, the 3 has 198k and a dead trans).
Although the price of the used engine had been skyrocketed in the last couple of years, it may still worth to check it out.

Yes for a while after the rotary engine fiasco Mazda seemed to be recovered from poor reliability reputation until now. Unfortunately these 2 engines, 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD, are the only 2 engines in Mazda’s lineup for the US market.

And I don't think they took into account the loads of hanging the weight of the turbocharger off the head and American roads when designing the head.
Yes the bad road condition is the reason blamed by the Mazda in the TSB for the cracked head on the 2.5T.

Did the dealer actually tell you that they aren't helping because you haven't had service their for the last year?

It's popular to say American roads suck. The fact is the US ranks fairly high vs the world in road quality. There's bad roads everywhere and every vehicle should be built to endure driving on rough terrain for many years.

I was wondering why the CX-9s sold in Mexico were not listed in the TSB but some Mazda 6s were. Could it be that we got a "stronger" engine due to our well known crappy road conditions down here? I recently reached 100k kms (62.5k Mi) of mainly city stop/go driving without any engine issues

I was wondering why the CX-9s sold in Mexico were not listed in the TSB but some Mazda 6s were. Could it be that we got a "stronger" engine due to our well known crappy road conditions down here? I recently reached 100k kms (62.5k Mi) of mainly city stop/go driving without any engine issues

Very unlikely that you got a different engine. More than likely, there just haven't been enough reports of the issue to warrant a TSB being published for the Mexico region.

I purchased a used 2019 CX9 Signature earlier this year. How would I know if this unit had already gone through this issue and the engine was replaced? Is there something under the hood that I can check? Would any Mazda dealership be able to pull up all previous repairs even if the work wasn’t done at their location? Or would I need to call corporate to get this info?
Sorry for so many questions. I’m sure there’s a quick answer here.

I purchased a used 2019 CX9 Signature earlier this year. How would I know if this unit had already gone through this issue and the engine was replaced? Is there something under the hood that I can check? Would any Mazda dealership be able to pull up all previous repairs even if the work wasn’t done at their location? Or would I need to call corporate to get this info?
Yes, any Mazda dealer can pull up the service record done by any Mazda dealers based on the VIN.

Aside from Mazda dealers, a CarFax report should show major services.

Did the dealer actually tell you that they aren't helping because you haven't had service their for the last year?

It's popular to say American roads suck. The fact is the US ranks fairly high vs the world in road quality. There's bad roads everywhere and every vehicle should be built to endure driving on rough terrain for many years.
Sorry, I lost this thread and just thought to come back. The CX-5 is just gathering dust in the garage while I debate what to do (my wife refuses to pay for the repair 2k out of warranty).

I live in the Midwest, where there are two seasons: winter and road construction. And I’m not comparing us roads vs the whole, undeveloped world; just the markets that they likely sell the turbo motors in. People living in 3rd world countries aren’t buying $35-50k cars & SUVs (at least not ones badged Mazda).

I suspect much of Mazda’s durability testing is done on either a test track or an engine dynamometer. Neither is known for being particularly vibration-intensive. Add to that the American penchant for monstrous wheels and you have forces that aren’t experienced in “test conditions.” Also, someone who has 20k miles (or more) per year likely spends most of their time on freeways, which tend to be maintained better than city streets.

And it was the Mazda NA rep that said that they wouldn’t help, since I wasn’t a “loyal” customer. I pointed out that the only reason I discovered the leak as early as did was that the local dealer had removed the underbody pan (looking for a clacking noise) and not replaced it (and since I hadn’t noticed it for several months, they denied it was them, which wasn’t the first time something like this had happened). The dealer didn’t offer to pay anything at all to help. I didn’t buy there for a number of reasons (mostly they didn’t have one to drive), but had taken it there for all service up until the underbody incident.

Reactions: JPL
My 2021 CX-9 GT is with the dealership now getting the head replaced. It was in the dealership 3 weeks ago getting new seals due to the oil consumption issue at that time there was also coolant in the oil and they replaced the gasket head. Three weeks later, coolant leaking from the head, no coolant in the oil. Have about 55k Km on it and it is all covered under warranty.

Supposed to be picking it up today.

My 2021 CX-9 GT is with the dealership now getting the head replaced. It was in the dealership 3 weeks ago getting new seals due to the oil consumption issue at that time there was also coolant in the oil and they replaced the gasket head. Three weeks later, coolant leaking from the head, no coolant in the oil. Have about 55k Km on it and it is all covered under warranty.

Supposed to be picking it up today
Is your vehicle’s VIN included in the affected range mentioned in the TSB?

I think it is more about heat cycles than red line or long drives. Our first CX9 (2018) failed at 56000. I would say 60 % of those miles were short drives.

Is your vehicle’s VIN included in the affected range mentioned in the TSB?
The TSB says it’s for 2016 ~ 2020 CX-9, but you have a 2021 CX-9? What is your manufacture date on the door jamb label?

All 2.5T produced after Jun. 9, 2020 should have revised cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket based on the TSB.

I think it is more about heat cycles than red line or long drives. Our first CX9 (2018) failed at 56000. I would say 60 % of those miles were short drives.
The TSB clearly stated the possible cause of the cracked cylinder head. You drove over bumps too many times ⋯ 😜

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have coolant leaks at the cylinder head around the exhaust manifold (as shown below). There may be cracks at the stud bolt hole (1) or at the outside of the exhaust manifold (2).

Cracks may be caused by:

• Deformation of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.
• Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The

external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

To eliminate this concern, the design of the exhaust manifold gasket and the cylinder head has been modified to reduce the force on the cylinder head.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

The TSB says it’s for 2016 ~ 2020 CX-9, but you have a 2021 CX-9? What is your manufacture date on the door jamb label?

All 2.5T produced after Jun. 9, 2020 should have revised cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket based on the TSB.
I have seen many 2021 Cx-5 and Cx-9 s in Autotrader that are in the affected range. probably they are early 2021 models manufactured around the end of 2020

Back