105K service on 2002 protege

motopilot

:
CX-7 Sport Platinum Silver, 2002 Protege
Question for everyone..

Have a 2002 2.0 protege LX. I have done most of the work myself (thanks to people here on the forum) but the car just hit 105K and its time to do things like timing belt, water pump, etc.

I know people do not like dealers, etc, neither do I. I called the local dealer for timing belt and water pump replacement. He also "recommended" doing the cam and crank seals at the same time (cheaper to do now as all the parts are off, etc).

For timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, replace coolant and labor the total is $695.86.

I know its a lot and do not mind if its required (have not really done any mjor service to this car and we want to keep it for while. Is this a normal price, good price? Any advice for anything I should also do at the same time would be great.

wow dude. My 97 doesn't even have 105k.

Dealerships will always be expensive man.

I would learn to do it yourself. There are how-to's on here and plenty of enthusiasts to help if you have problems. My '03 is at 96K miles and I have been acquiring parts to do since I have cams/cam gears to install. Sounds like what you have is the primary stuff to be changed. Has your valve cover gasket been changed yet? Plugs & Wires? Check vacuum lines?

I would learn to do it yourself. There are how-to's on here and plenty of enthusiasts to help if you have problems. My '03 is at 96K miles and I have been acquiring parts to do since I have cams/cam gears to install. Sounds like what you have is the primary stuff to be changed. Has your valve cover gasket been changed yet? Plugs & Wires? Check vacuum lines?

SO far the only stuff I have done is Oil change, Plugs, O2 sensor. I did not do wires as they seemed to look OK. If they need changing that is something i can do myself.

As far as changing myself. If I knew someone who could 100% do it themselves and have done many before that would be great. But I think its just too big a job to mess up for me. And all the other stuff, water pump and crank and cam seals I just assume have done at the same time. Cheaper as the other parts are all off and we need this car to last (also have a Subaru 1997 Subaru Outback @ 205K).

It really isn't a bad job to do. If you are mechanically inclined and have much wrenching experience you should be able to do it in a day. Just do your research, take your time and think each step through. The first timing belt and water pump job I did was my wife's 1999 626 LX V6 DOHC. The Protege seemed easy in comparison. Too bad you weren't closer, I'd give you a hand!

Back