'09 Power steering leaking again after recall (trip #3...).

J.P.

:
09 Mazda 5 GT, '88 GTX
Did my March oil change today, and once again the splash shield is soaked in power steering fluid. Same hose that started leaking after the recall was performed. I took it in for reinspection, part not in stock, so brought in again to install a new hose. I suspect they put a gouge in the hard line when separating them, and now the oil is following the score line, and dripping out at a slow rate. The resevoir is down about 1/4" below max, so it's not a huge mess, but a pain in the ass none the less. I am really starting to regret giving my local dealer a second chance.

It sounds to me like you need to take a second look at your nipple!

Part of the recall for the P/S pump leak was to remove some of the plastic flashing on the nipple that was preventing the P/S hose from creating a good seal. Perhaps they shaved your nipple incorrectly?

(drinks)

Last edited:
Different spot.

If they shave nipples the way they separate hoses, there could be other problems down the road, but it doesn't appear that way.

This is a simple low pressure rubber to metal connection on the return line. The hard (metal) return line follows the inside of the right front frame rail, then turns to a short rubber line (spring type compression hose clamp) which is where the leak has been. The short rubber hose then goes to the resevoir.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mar_31_2012 003.JPG
    Mar_31_2012 003.JPG
    587.8 KB · Views: 8,347
Last edited:
Doesn't this kind of incompetence drive you nuts? If manufacturers were serious about making customers happy there would be a gigantic 1-800 number that's the first thing you see in your manual telling you how to call them to resolve dealer issues.

Thanks for posting the picture... it REALLY helps!!!

The short rubber hose is the one I was concerned with. It is the one that brings the fluid back to the resivoir.

Can you rule out that the leak is coming from the hard line side and not from the aforementioned nipple on the resivoir side?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the picture... it REALLY helps!!!

The short rubber hose is the one I was concerned with. It is the one that brings the fluid back to the resivoir.

Can you rule out that the leak is coming from the hard line side and not from the aforementioned nipple on the resivoir side?

Yup! The upper section of that hose & the clamp at the resevoir are bone dry. It is only at the clamp you see in the picture. I have a pic of the previous leak - it is identical.

Oh, as as for this stuff driving me nuts - absolutely.

Mine 07 was out of warranty when I discovered the leak (after 1 warranty repair).
Since it's not leaking much (only drop about 1/4" after 1 year in reservoir), I left it alone.

Looks like their solution was a 50 cent gear-type hose clamp. If it leaks again I will lose it. I will snap a pic when it is up in the air. They double clamped it, and left the original compression clamp on there.

It's mostly a piss off since there are more oil stains on my new driveway from my 3.5 year old Mazda 5, than my 1987 Porsche 924S and my 1998 Hyundai Accent combined.

Busy summer...

Snapped this pic back at the end of July on my pre-trip oil change.

attachment.php

I wiped the PS fluid off the hose just before I took the picture HOPING it was from before the new clamp was installed (because, of course, cleaning the mess off the bottom & splash shield would never be their responsibility...(boom02)). What reminded me of it was the resevoir is now down about an inch, and a couple of new spots have appeared on the driveway. Seriously... and I really do love the Mazda product. Anyways... The winter wheels need to go on in the next week or two, and the 4th anniversary oil change is coming up within a month. I will take some more photos of what I find when the splash shield comes off. If it is what I suspect, I am really getting tired of this.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    651.5 KB · Views: 2,907
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back