“Oil service required” Light malfunction on ‘19 Signature

I changed oil on my 2019 yesterday, reset the oil change notification to Flexible on Mazda Connect.....remaining oil life indicated 7500 miles.

On the center guage it shows service due in 12xx miles. Reason is my tire rotation is still counting down and not reset yet.

Could the dealer have messed something up and chosen the tire rotation option instead of oil change reset?
Just throwing ideas out there.

But so others aren't confused....the center gauges will count down whichever the next service is due, tire rotation or oil change.

If an individual wants to keep the service consistent (as reported on center guages) I'd set OCI/Tire rotation BOTH to the same FIXED setting of miles on Mazda Connect.

Update: dealer acknowledged the distance to next oil change mileage jumping from “2500“ tp “0” isn’t normal. They said the first step is they will reboot the computer that controls the maintenance systems and see if this resolves the problem (said it often does.). The tech found no fault codes or issues other than finding the “oil change service overdue” message.

Of note, the maintenance and tire rotation service required trackers inside the MazdaConnect menu were both “off”. The oil change service required tracker was on and set to “fixed”.

Finally, the service advisor (who seemed pretty knowledgeable) said the mileage until oil change shown on the dash inside the speedometer should exactly match the mileage until oil change shown in the MazdaConnect system. There isn’t a separate reset procedure for the dash oil change interval vs the MazdaConnect oil change interval. It’s the same data and the same system.

We’ll see if the reset fixes it. I won’t be terribly surprised if it does. And the car runs completely fine.

Update: dealer acknowledged the distance to next oil change mileage jumping from “2500“ tp “0” isn’t normal. They said the first step is they will reboot the computer that controls the maintenance systems and see if this resolves the problem (said it often does.). The tech found no fault codes or issues other than finding the “oil change service overdue” message.

Of note, the maintenance and tire rotation service required trackers inside the MazdaConnect menu were both “off”. The oil change service required tracker was on and set to “fixed”.

Finally, the service advisor (who seemed pretty knowledgeable) said the mileage until oil change shown on the dash inside the speedometer should exactly match the mileage until oil change shown in the MazdaConnect system. There isn’t a separate reset procedure for the dash oil change interval vs the MazdaConnect oil change interval. It’s the same data and the same system.

We’ll see if the reset fixes it. I won’t be terribly surprised if it does. And the car runs completely fine.
Ha, don’t think that service advisor is that knowledgeable like you stated. Read the TSB from Mazda it clearly described there’re 2 user interface reset systems to control of course a single maintenance monitor system. IMO Mazda dealer changed Oil Change monitor from Flexible to Fixed which only would mask the problem you have. If I were you I’d switch to Flexible and monitor it to see if the problem would occur again, oil life remaining mileage suddenly drops from several K miles to 0.

There are TWO independent reminders: gauge cluster and infotainment. You'll need to hold down the needle to reset cluster reminder

If there are two separate systems (dash and then in MazdaConnect) that completely independently track oil change needs, that is one of the dumbest “features” I’ve ever seen for a modern vehicle. What could be the reason for this? I’m struggling to come up with one. It’s not that I don’t believe you guys...it just seems so completely unnecessary and stupid for a monster engineering operation like Mazda to set their vehicles up this way.

Here’s what my manual has to say about the info screens available in the message center that appears on a small screen inside the Speedometer gauge:

▼ Maintenance Monitor
The following maintenance period notifications can be displayed by turning the Maintenance Monitor on.
 Scheduled Maintenance
 Tire Rotation
 Oil Change
When the remaining days to the maintenance period is 15 days or less, or the remaining distance is 1,000 km (600 miles) or shorter, a message is indicated when the ignition is switched ON.
For the setting method and indications for the maintenance monitor, refer to the Maintenance Monitor.
Refer to Maintenance Monitor on page 6-16.

I only saw the Oil Change monitor screen inside the speedometer message center. That makes sense because the Tire Rotation and Scheduled Maintenance monitors were turned off (verified myself by looking where this appears inside the MazdaConnect system.)

The way this reads, it sure seems like the speedometer message center just takes the Maintenance info inside MazdaConnect and displays it inside the Speedometer message center. It does not read as if there is a separate oil change maintenance minder system that is unique and independent of the what the MazdaConnect controls. Additionally, there is nothing in the manual that outlines an alternative way to reset the oil change maintenance monitor. It just says to use MazdaConnect to reset it.

My message center showed about 2500 miles left before I needed an oil change. This made sense to me as I just got an oil change in January 2020 -about 2500 miles ago. My MazdaConnect oil change maintenance monitor was set to “fixed”. In one turn of the key, the speedometer message center showed 0 miles until my next oil change and flashed a warning in the same speedometer message center that indicated I was overdue for my oil change. When I went into MazdaConnect, it too showed an exclamation point next to the oil life monitor menu.

Guys, I can’t see how there is some other system tracking oil changes. Even though it glitches going from 2500 miles to 0 left before needing an oil change, the oil change info I was seeing on the speedometer message center and the MazdaConnect system both had the same info. I think the service advisor was correct.

I’ll update this thread if I continue to have problems justin case anyone else experiences this glitch.

I agree, there is only 1 place to reset/update either a Fixed/Flexible OCI. It is only done through the Mazda Connect system. My 2019 GT is this way, also my wifes 2018 Touring....same thing.

There’re 2 reset procedures to PCM and CMU, if the vehicle is equipped with MAZDA CONNECT. CMU reset should do the PCM reset at the same time, hence one reset to CMU on infotainment system is sufficient unless you have older version of CMU software.

TSB Bulletin No.: 09-037/18 said:
Subject: OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles equipped with MAZDA CONNECT may exhibit the following oil maintenance monitor concerns on the center display:
• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) cannot be cleared using MAZDA CONNECT/Applications/Vehicle Status Monitor/Maintenance reset menu.
• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) is displayed before the oil change is due.

This is caused by only one reset procedure being performed when the oil is changed, usually using the center display. Two reset procedures are required, one is using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and the other is using the center display to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU).
To correct this issue, the CMU software has been modified so that the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display resets both the CMU and the PCM at the same time. With this change, the reset operation using the trip meter switch is now unnecessary.

260AF50C-EFA0-4F36-AC6A-5B0C0926FD86.jpeg

8E6EB098-B94F-4AE8-93DB-F3AD651AF979.jpeg

To be clear, our CX-5’s oil was changed by a Mazda dealer on January 23rd, 2020. Not even 3 months ago. We’ve only driven around 2500 miles since that oil change. Heading to the dealer in 15 minutes.
Best of luck. I'd love to hear what it is that's going on.
Please update when you get it all figured out.

The issue with that TSB is it technically doesn’t apply to my vehicle. Mine is a US 2019 CX-5 Signature. Maybe there is a similar TSB that does apply to my vehicle but I’m not aware of it.

I drew a grid in the back cover of my manual and note every maintenance event mileage and date.

The issue with that TSB is it technically doesn’t apply to my vehicle. Mine is a US 2019 CX-5 Signature. Maybe there is a similar TSB that does apply to my vehicle but I’m not aware of it.
The TSB is from Mazda North American Operations which is in charge of US market only and has nothing to do with Mazda Canada. This 09-037/18 TSB also has been submitted to US NHTSA where I downloaded from by MNAO. The wording “Canada spec. only” shouldn’t confuse you and I believe MNAO simply copied the same TSB from Mazda Canada. The design is the same on maintenance monitor between US and Canadian CX-5 models anyway both considered as Mazda North American market. The concept stated in the TSB applies to your 2019 CX-5 other than you may already have updated CMU software.

I still disagree with you on the "Canada spec only" theory . If this TSB was a Mazda Canada one only, why would it have to say “Canada spec only” in it ? They would ALL be that anyway. I think it means the firmware error does not apply to U.S.A. and Mexico spec units. Only Canada.

I still disagree with you on the "Canada spec only" theory . If this TSB was a Mazda Canada one only, why would it have to say “Canada spec only” in it ? They would ALL be that anyway. I think it means the firmware error does not apply to U.S.A. and Mexico spec units. Only Canada.
Then why would MNAO bother to submit this TSB to NHTSA with MNAO letter head? And many US 2017 / 2018 CX-5 owners who were having reset problem got the problem fixed with newer version of CMU software based on this TSB.

No matter, the concept of 2 reset procedures on maintenance monitor is the same. If you can’t do proper reset on Oil Change notification via infotainment screen, check your software version on CMU.

I had a similar issue when I reset (through Mazda Connect) after a DIY oil change. A couple weeks later it said the service was overdue. After asking here, I found I didn't reset it correctly - you need to double-press the start button before going into the menu. I wonder it the service tech did it wrong. They often are rookies and only trusted with simple stuff like oil-change and washing the cars.

I had a similar issue when I reset (through Mazda Connect) after a DIY oil change. A couple weeks later it said the service was overdue. After asking here, I found I didn't reset it correctly - you need to double-press the start button before going into the menu. I wonder it the service tech did it wrong. They often are rookies and only trusted with simple stuff like oil-change and washing the cars.

what model year CX-5 do you have?

Update: picked my car up today. Waited a few days because well, it’s not like we really need it right now, lol.

I asked the Service Advisor to ask a service tech exactly how they reset the oil service light on a 2019 CX-5 Signature. He said [paraphrased], “well, I can show you because I too know what they do and how they do it, and it’s easy.” I then asked if the procedure was to simply access the service menu within MazdaConnect and reset the oil life monitor that way. He said, “yes.” I asked him if a tech would perhaps do it in another fashion, suggesting that maybe there was another procedure involving the speedometer message center pages or turning on the key start twice, etc. he insisted there is no other procedure - the techs just access the MazdaConnect service menu and hit reset.

Back