My New Red CX-70 I-6 Turbo S Premium Plus

RBrylawski

CX70 Turbo S P+ and CX50 Turbo S P+
I picked up a new CX70 Soul Red Turbo S Premium Plus, with the beige interior this past Friday. We had two Genesis GV70 and have had too many issues and are working our way to get out from Genesis. One of our GV70, is less than two months old and suffered catastrophic engine failure at 850 miles and Genesis is planning to replace the engine in a brand new car, which I've told them is unacceptable and no one seems to care. Living in Florida, the car now qualifies for Lemon Law, so that's the next step to fully divorce from them. I did call them today to say they have two options. Either I lemon law it or they buy it back. Of course, no one called back. They just delay and hope you'll go away. But they don't seem to understand I'm one PO'd customer.

Anyway, here are two pics. I'll make this one post short and add more about the CX70 in another post.

IMG_0673 2 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0671 Medium.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous! That’s exactly the same as what my wife and I bought too. I think the red is amazing, and that interior colour is so beautiful!

Now that I've had her a few days, here are some thoughts:

Coming from a Genesis GV70, it's significantly larger (and yes, I was well aware it was larger). But it drives so smoothly and the power from the inline 6 is smooth, linear and a joy to experience. We went grocery shopping over the weekend and got everything we bought in the back, with space leftover, which couldn't have possibly worked in the GV70. The added space is welcome. And the back seats offer so much legroom which is very luxurious, plus the seats move forward/back and recline. NICE!

Tech is OK, not stellar and I've spent a great deal of time getting accustomed to how Mazda, does Tech. The all digital instrument cluster is nice, but lacks much customization. Mazda, could learn a thing or two from other brands on giving owners more freedom to choose a gauge design to match our preferences. You get Sport, Normal or Off Road. I'm never going off road, so I'm left with Normal or Sport. You can cycle through some things like mileage, iDrive (or whatever they call it), and Compass. Notably missing and really difficult to find is Tire Pressure. Turns out you have to dig into Information, then Service Reminders to find tire pressure. And you either get a traditional cluster or you can add a graphic of your car in the center, which is pretty nice as it shows cars on each side of you, so the option I'm using. There's enough real estate to have moved the car graphic into the center of the speedometer. And using the car graphic means you have a digital speedometer instead.

This is my first car with wireless Apple CarPlay and I thought it wasn't important, but it is honestly TERRIFIC! I don't have to push any voice button and just say, Siri, Call XXX and the call is made. PLUS and this is great, the CX70 comes with Alexa integration, which is Mazda's way of adding an intelligent assistant (think Mercedes MBUX). Setting up both Apple CarPlay and Alexa was a breeze. Now I can ask Alexa (again, no need to push the voice button on the steering wheel at all) anything I might ask Alexa to do, including I can ask Alexa to turn on my oven at home to a specific temperature. I asked Alexa where my package was today and she told me it was out for delivery and what time to expect it. Pretty cool tech in this regard.

I can't figure out how to adjust the brightness of the gauges incrementally. It's either all the way bright or it uses a sensor to choose the brightness level it thinks is right. I'd prefer to choose the brightness level myself. But bright is bright and that's good.

It took me some time to figure out how to program favorite stations, but it's actually pretty easy once you do figure it out. And just a quick tap of the favorites button brings them all up, including how to reorder them if you want, which works well. I didn't think Mazda offered a split screen option for such a large infotainment screen. Turns out I found out it does. It just doesn't do it very well. If you have maps up, it will place a box over part of the map with your station details, hiding the part of the map you might want to see. I won't use it. The controller is very easy to use, to change from Maps, to Music, so I just bounce back and forth there. What I would have expected with a split screen is that the map section would be in its own area and the music in another. I wouldn't expect music to cover (and not even fully cover) part of the map.

Sonically, the sound system is far nicer than I expected. There's a honking huge subwoofer inside the opening for the spare tire and when I say that thing pumps out bass, IT PUMPS OUT BASS. You can only adjust treble and bass. You can't adjust midrange, which I find odd for a premium system. Then there are two settings for surround, which I don't understand from their names, but by trial and effort are quite effective. Bose has never been a name I associate with premium sound, like I would with Bang & Olufsen, and some others, but again, I think the system is outstanding, so who cares what's in a name.

Even though you can turn off the easy entry/exit system and you customize the car to your face, which recognizes you when you enter the car, the steering wheels still moves up and back down a wee bit, which it really shouldn't do. Even the service advisor at Mazda, could not understand why it does that.

The seats: They're OUTSTANDING. The Premium Plus comes with quilted Napa Leather and I find them supremely comfortable. They don't hug you like a sports seat, but they cradle you in comfort which you can sit in for hours without fatigue.

The My Mazda App, is so so. Not that most people spend a lot of time using the app. It does work, but it's supposed to show tire pressure, and that doesn't work. You can do most of the simple things you'd want like lock, unlock, start the car or the climate system. Coming from the Genesis app, Mazda has some learning to do on how a good car app should work. My service advisor said the app is brand new and still in development, so maybe it will get better with time.

All these things aside, what really matters is how a car drives. This is my first Mazda. I had read Mazda is about driving dynamics and I have to agree. Once I figured out the tires were over inflated at delivery by a LOT and had them adjusted to the correct tire pressure, the car corners amazingly well, with almost no body roll at all. It gobbles up bumps and imperfections with aplomb and the smooth linear and abundant power is awesome. I don't need a car to go any faster than this, that's for sure.

There is one odd omission and maybe that's just a Mazda thing, but this is a nearly $60K SUV and there is no Ambient Lighting system in the car. The Premium Plus does include Ambient Lighting in the footwells front and rear, but most cars in this price range have Ambient lighting in the dash and doors, with color choices. Not that it's a big deal, but I kind of enjoyed the Ambient lights in the Genesis and before Genesis, Mercedes cars.

I have to say, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the CX70. As soon as we can get out from the other GV70, we'll be getting a CX50 Premium Plus as that's the size car the other half wants.

I'll update this as things go on. I'm not much into modifying things. i did replace the valve stem covers with nicer color matched ones. And my car came with the weather protection package, which includes all weather mats, mud guards and this massive cargo area protection package (which is now folded and stored in the garage).

EDIT: In case you missed my post below, I woke up this morning to find the MyMazda App has now been updated to show the tire pressure for all 4 tires. What I'm amazed at is I contacted Mazda just two days ago to let them know it wasn't working. And two days later, it's been fixed. I had an issue with the Genesis App for my GV70. It's been 2 months since I asked them to resolve the issue and no one. I repeat - NO ONE from Genesis EVER followed up, nor did they fix the issue with my car in the app. WHAT A DIFFERENCE going from Genesis to Mazda has been so far!

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous! That’s exactly the same as what my wife and I bought too. I think the red is amazing, and that interior colour is so beautiful!
Thanks and I hope you drive in health and happiness.

I picked up a new CX70 Soul Red Turbo S Premium Plus, with the beige interior this past Friday. We had two Genesis GV70 and have had too many issues and are working our way to get out from Genesis. One of our GV70, is less than two months old and suffered catastrophic engine failure at 850 miles and Genesis is planning to replace the engine in a brand new car, which I've told them is unacceptable and no one seems to care. Living in Florida, the car now qualifies for Lemon Law, so that's the next step to fully divorce from them. I did call them today to say they have two options. Either I lemon law it or they buy it back. Of course, no one called back. They just delay and hope you'll go away. But they don't seem to understand I'm one PO'd customer.

Anyway, here are two pics. I'll make this one post short and add more about the CX70 in another post.

IMG_0673 2 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0671 Medium.jpeg

That looks really nice!

A very thorough review! Does the Normal drive mode approximate the ECO mode of other brands?

I hear you about no ambient lights on $60k cars. I had a near $50k TLX w/o folding side mirrors!

I had a near $50k TLX w/o folding side mirrors!
I find the TLX interesting...mostly because I can't figure out why are they so heavy for a small car?? They weigh 4,000 lbs, more than a CX-5!

A very thorough review! Does the Normal drive mode approximate the ECO mode of other brands?

I hear you about no ambient lights on $60k cars. I had a near $50k TLX w/o folding side mirrors!
I would not say Normal is anywhere close to Eco on other brands. It's just a smoother, quieter drive, but with the same horsepower you get in Sport. Whereas Sport is a bit longer in upshift and gives a bit more engine sounds as you accelerate. Steering and suspension is not different between sport and normal either. My Genesis GV70 has Eco and it's appreciably slower to accelerate and just plain boring. It's not boring in any way to drive in comfort in the CX70. I guess the best way to say it is it's more civilized and luxurious feeling in Normal vs Sport.

I'd say the interior looks more caramel than beige. Beautiful combo!
I agree with you, but Mazda, says the color is Beige. I would describe it as a more orangey caramel. It is unquestionably a stunning interior color. The two tone steering is really great looking. And the Suede is terrific to the touch.

I find the TLX interesting...mostly because I can't figure out why are they so heavy for a small car?? They weigh 4,000 lbs, more than a CX-5!
The TLX is an odd-ball of a car in that it is "compact" for interior volume and competes w/the compact class but has the exterior of a "mid-size" (hence the weight). I think Acura was seriously trying to hedge both size markets but ultimately failing in both (to add insult to injury, the newer Integra is actually roomier inside). Sales of the TLX have dropped nearly 50% compared to the same point last year (not great for a car entering the 5th year of the current gen)!

I know it just came out but could the "TLX hedge" impact CX70 sales similarly with its mid-size interior and full-size exterior? Frankly, I was shocked when comparing the CX70 interior volume/cargo space against a Honda Passport and Hyundai Sante Fe (I expected it to be roomier)!

df8d5a75cdc017ba3877907b78c11eaf3fb575c7

Last edited:
I would not say Normal is anywhere close to Eco on other brands. It's just a smoother, quieter drive, but with the same horsepower you get in Sport. Whereas Sport is a bit longer in upshift and gives a bit more engine sounds as you accelerate. Steering and suspension is not different between sport and normal either. My Genesis GV70 has Eco and it's appreciably slower to accelerate and just plain boring. It's not boring in any way to drive in comfort in the CX70. I guess the best way to say it is it's more civilized and luxurious feeling in Normal vs Sport.
That's good to hear! Anything you miss so far from the GV70 that's not on the CX70?

Only two things.

Finding the tire pressure in a Mazda is more difficult, as the GV70 gives you a scroll wheel on the steering wheel you can easily check TP. In a Mazda, you have to go Home > Information > Service Reminders > Tire Pressure. It shouldn't be that cumbersome to check your TP.

The GV70 has a real split screen for the infotainment system, which when engaged, reduces the size of the area used for maps and adds a radio screen, which the CX70 kind of sort of does, but not nearly as elegantly as the Genesis does.

Otherwise, there is NOTHING about the GV70, which is in any way making me regret getting the CX70 or anything I miss much at all.

Thanks for providing such a thorough review!

Love the colour choices too, that interior is the one to get IMO. The 2-tone steering wheel is a really nice touch.

Only two things.

Finding the tire pressure in a Mazda is more difficult, as the GV70 gives you a scroll wheel on the steering wheel you can easily check TP. In a Mazda, you have to go Home > Information > Service Reminders > Tire Pressure. It shouldn't be that cumbersome to check your TP.

The GV70 has a real split screen for the infotainment system, which when engaged, reduces the size of the area used for maps and adds a radio screen, which the CX70 kind of sort of does, but not nearly as elegantly as the Genesis does.

Otherwise, there is NOTHING about the GV70, which is in any way making me regret getting the CX70 or anything I miss much at all.
Any chance of mapping the tire pressure to a "Favorite" or some quick select button?

Any chance of mapping the tire pressure to a "Favorite" or some quick select button?
Nope. But not a big deal. When I got the MyMazda App, it was supposed to show tire pressure, but it didn't. I opened a ticket with Mazda two days ago, and this morning, the app now shows my tire pressure, so I can check it there easily, anytime.

Love the colour choices too, that interior is the one to get IMO. The 2-tone steering wheel is a really nice touch.
Thanks sm1ke! Soul Red Crystal Metallic is IMHO, the best red of any car brand out there. And the interior colors are so nice as well!

Hopefully the next gen CX-5 will get a similar interior color whether they call it beige, terra cotta, caramel, cognac, tobacco, tan, etc. Seems like recent models i.e. CX-50, CX-70 & CX-90 have nice interior colors. Parchment white (too light), Caturra Brown and black (too dark) are not my favorite colors but to each their own!

Back