Potential CX-5 Owner with questions

Hi guys,
Im a bmw e83 3.0d owner for about 10 years or so. For the time i had it i couldn't complain much it was a reliable car but i think its about time to get something newer.
I've been thinking of getting the second gen mazda cx5, and I've heard a but about head gasket problems... Now im on the fence because i would get a used one 2019 or 2020.
Is it mostly the 2.5l turbos that have the issue, and is it isolated to the older variants 2018-2020?
I would cough up a bit more cash for the newer ones if they fixed the issue.
And if there is someting else i should look out for, or could be a potentially expensive repair please let me know! 🙏

Thanks in advance!

The CX-5 is available with the 2.5L engine or the 2.5T engine. Both engines have had issues with cracks in the cylinder heads, but with different symptoms and causes.

The 2.5L engine, which normally comes with cylinder deactivation, could develop a crack on the back of the cylinder head, causing a visible external oil leak. Many believe that a smaller amount of material in that spot, combined with CD increases the risk of that crack.

The 2.5T engine could develop a crack on the back of the cylinder head as well, due to excessive forces at the exhaust manifold when the exhaust system shifts over bumps. This crack would result in a visible external coolant leak.

The difference here is that currently, Mazda's brand new CX-5 2.5Ls are not being sold with cylinder deactivation due to supply shortages. The engine is likely still the same, but without the complex CD system, this should reduce the risk of cylinder head cracking. Additionally, with regard to the 2.5T engines, in 2021 Mazda acknowledged the cylinder head issue and made some changes to the head and gasket to address the head cracking. Any 2021+ 2.5T engines should not have this issue as a result.

If long-term reliability is paramount, a new 2.5L CX-5 is hard to beat (until they reintroduce cylinder deactivation). In my opinion of course.

The CX-5 is available with the 2.5L engine or the 2.5T engine. Both engines have had issues with cracks in the cylinder heads, but with different symptoms and causes.

The 2.5L engine, which normally comes with cylinder deactivation, could develop a crack on the back of the cylinder head, causing a visible external oil leak. Many believe that a smaller amount of material in that spot, combined with CD increases the risk of that crack.

The 2.5T engine could develop a crack on the back of the cylinder head as well, due to excessive forces at the exhaust manifold when the exhaust system shifts over bumps. This crack would result in a visible external coolant leak.

The difference here is that currently, Mazda's brand new CX-5 2.5Ls are not being sold with cylinder deactivation due to supply shortages. The engine is likely still the same, but without the complex CD system, this should reduce the risk of cylinder head cracking. Additionally, with regard to the 2.5T engines, in 2021 Mazda acknowledged the cylinder head issue and made some changes to the head and gasket to address the head cracking. Any 2021+ 2.5T engines should not have this issue as a result.

If long-term reliability is paramount, a new 2.5L CX-5 is hard to beat (until they reintroduce cylinder deactivation). In my opinion of course.
Wow thanks for the thorough reply.
As for buying a new car, it's expensive for me. I do only 10 000 km yearly so buying a 4-5 year old (about 80-100k km) car with a clean service history is the way to go for me.

Why not look for a clean, low mileage 2017? They are pre-CD.
Mine was bought new and has been flawless.

Back