CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

Other than the model size conflict, it should be easy. All the same powertrain and interior parts are already in the Cx-90. Except for the more powerful variant I think. And all of Europe already drive on the same side as the US, so no issues there.
Not sure if this is a Brexit comment, but...nice one

Honest question here: How difficult would it be for Mazda to just bring the CX60 to the US and Canada as is - except obviously putting the driver on the other side, but not changing anything else? Isn't that what BMW, Mercedes and Audi do with their SUVs?
I agree. Mazda probably should consider selling CX-60 in US.
CX-60s are being sold in countries with drivers on the left side. No extra works for Mazda.
In fact, CX-60 is wider than CX-5. It is not that narrow at all.

Hmm. So they are becoming an SUV company.

Imagine seeing the following on the dealership lot:

CX-5
CX-30
CX-50
CX-60
CX-70
CX-90

It's too many models. It seems their plan was for these to be region-specific.

CX-90 is selling fine. It is sa full size in an economy brand where buyers are price conscious. Normalized over 12 months it would be about 50,000 units. That is CX-50 territory. CRV well outsells Pilot. RAV4 outsells grand highlander. I'd be willing to bet similar in Hyundai, Nissan and most other budget lines.
It is not selling as well as Mazda had hoped - there was an article in Automotive News that alluded to Mazda targeting 90,000 CX-90 sales and and additional 30,000 CX-70 sales (article archived here to avoid paywall: https://archive.is/etYVc). In comparison, Honda sells around 100,000 Pilots in a year, so these were not outrageous targets. However, they were certainly very ambitious (bordering on wildly optimistic) as the CX-9 sold less than 35,000 every year it was on sale.

Given Mazda's assumption that the CX-70 would only move 1/3 the volume of the CX-90, that implies only ~16,000 CX-70s given the CX-90s actual sales numbers. So, you can see why they pulled the plug. Of course, given Mazda marketing's track record, the CX-70 will probably outsell the CX-90.

CX-5
CX-30
CX-50
CX-60
CX-70
CX-90

To grow sale in US, Mazda needs more models to hit their target.
Sedans are not selling in US. More CUV/SUV is the way to go.
I predict that, in a couple years, Mazda will sell CX-60 in US, once they realize that CX-70 does not sell as well as they expect. I can wait.

Or, Mazda can make a short-bed pickup based on the large platform.
I will consider that also.

I suspect that more discussions at Mazda are taking place about a 2nd brand due to all these competing models. Maybe it wouldn't be a premium brand like Lexus or Infiniti—Mazda would be the premium brand, while they create a lower brand for what has traditionally been Mazda up to this point. Many of the executives will resist but it's inevitable that this will come up when you try to take a brand in a new direction. I'm not saying that I'm predicting it will happen, only that there's probably been a lot more talk about it internally.

Last edited:
I suspect that more discussions at Mazda are taking place about a 2nd brand due to all these competing models. Maybe it wouldn't be a premium brand like Lexus or Infiniti—Mazda would be the premium brand, while they create a lower brand for what has traditionally been Mazda up to this point. Many of the executives will resist but it's inevitable that this will come up when you try to take a brand in a new direction. I'm not saying that I'm predicting it will happen, only that there's probably been a lot more talk about it internally.

They already tried this with the Amati brand in 1988. They changed their minds in 1992 and cancelled the brand before ever selling anything. We got the Millenia which was supposed to be the mid-level Amati. The rest of the details are pretty scarce as Mazda doesn't really acknowledge any of this.

The confusing model lineup is just Mazda being Mazda and nothing new. Around 2010, Mazda sold a bunch of crossovers: the Mazda 5, the MPV, the CX-7, the CX-9 and the Tribute.

CX-5
CX-30
CX-50
CX-60
CX-70
CX-90

Mazda Australia has 1/4 the sales volume of Mazda North America and Australia is getting the CX-60, CX-70, CX-80 and CX-90. And Australia is the only right hand drive market for the CX-70 and CX-90.

So we could have had the CX-60 if Mazda US asked for it. It will be interesting to see the sales split for the different models in Australia.

So we could have had the CX-60 if Mazda US asked for it.
Looking at CX-60 forum is seems that CX-60 has much growing pains yet to sort out.
If their plan is to bring it to the US after it matures out there I'm all for it, fingers crossed.

Mazda Australia has 1/4 the sales volume of Mazda North America and Australia is getting the CX-60, CX-70, CX-80 and CX-90. And Australia is the only right hand drive market for the CX-70 and CX-90.

So we could have had the CX-60 if Mazda US asked for it. It will be interesting to see the sales split for the different models in Australia.
It seems the CX-50 is tailor made for Australia.

Or perhaps CX-80 without the 3rd row seat?
Not exactly.
I like the size of the CX-60. I am not a big vehicle person.

I love my CX5s, but I've had 2 and I am ready for something different.

I really like the dealership I deal with for purchases and maintenance...so I may just bite the bullet and get a 70 or 90. Depends on price, I guess.

It is not selling as well as Mazda had hoped - there was an article in Automotive News that alluded to Mazda targeting 90,000 CX-90 sales and and additional 30,000 CX-70 sales (article archived here to avoid paywall: https://archive.is/etYVc). In comparison, Honda sells around 100,000 Pilots in a year, so these were not outrageous targets. However, they were certainly very ambitious (bordering on wildly optimistic) as the CX-9 sold less than 35,000 every year it was on sale.

Given Mazda's assumption that the CX-70 would only move 1/3 the volume of the CX-90, that implies only ~16,000 CX-70s given the CX-90s actual sales numbers. So, you can see why they pulled the plug. Of course, given Mazda marketing's track record, the CX-70 will probably outsell the CX-90.
Normalized over 12 months, The CX-90 would have sold 50,000 units in 2023. And their stated projections of the sales of CX-70 was 25% of CX-90 sales. But was that based on an enlarged CX-60 at say 190" or a 2 row CX-90? That is probably accurate for the latter, but significantly underestimating the former.

CX-5
CX-30
CX-50
CX-60
CX-70
CX-90

Someone else has already said this, but I'll repeat it. In the US market, most car companies have shifted production to more SUVs/crosses and less sedans. The SUVs/crosses sell better and they have higher profit margins.

Here's what Mercedes sells for SUVs:

GLA
GLB
GLC + a GLC Coupe
GLE + a GLE Coupe
GLS
G-class

Plus, Mercedes has several all-electric versions of those SUV with their own unique looks.

Looking at Mazda, I think they dropped the ball a bit with the CX70, with something like the CX60 being a better fit in size between the much-loved, but small-ish CX-5 and the CX90. I would buy the CX60 in a heartbeat if it was sold here ... and it already exists elsewhere, ready to go. I will still consider the CX70 or CX90 although both are larger than I really need/want, and that may have me heading towards a MB GLC300, a Jag F-Pace, or an Audi Q5 since Mazda missed that 185-191 inch mid-size space (other than the CX50, discussed below).

The CX60 is very close in size to the CX50, but they seem to be aimed at different buyers. Mazda has been pitching the CX50 as the real outdoorsy adventurer - and with the thick black cladding, it looks the part - whereas the CX60, CX70 and CX90 are trying to lure more luxury buyers.

Sorry for the very long-winded way of saying the CX60 is what the CX70 should have been. Then Mazda could also offer a 2-row version of the CX90.

I will still consider the CX70 or CX90 although both are larger than I really need/want, and that may have me heading towards a MB GLC300, a Jag F-Pace, or an Audi Q5 since Mazda missed that 185-191 inch mid-size space (other than the CX50, discussed below).
Trust me when I say you don't wany any part of the GLC300 (at least not until Mercedes figures out their mild hybrid issues)!

Trust me when I say you don't wany any part of the GLC300 (at least not until Mercedes figures out their mild hybrid issues)!
I hear you ... and I am the precise type of luxury buyer that Mazda is trying to attract with its more upscale recent SUVs. I've owned MBs and BMWs - and while they drive wonderfully and feel luxurious, etc. - visits to the service department are often 4-figure nightmares. In contrast, we bought our son a 2019 CX-5 four years ago and it is wonderful to drive and the maintenance costs are a fraction of what we are used to paying - like almost nothing. If Mazda can replicate that type of driving fun and reliability with more luxurious SUVs, I'm all in. I was just hoping the CX70 would fall closer to the middle, size-wise, between the CX-5 and CX90.

Someone else has already said this, but I'll repeat it. In the US market, most car companies have shifted production to more SUVs/crosses and less sedans. The SUVs/crosses sell better and they have higher profit margins.
Most of the blame goes to the Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations. The passenger car standard is generally unattainable except with underpowered, small vehicles. There is a lower standard if your vehicle can meet the definition for "light truck". There is even a provision that if you can show an "off-road" capability you can jam it into the "light truck" category. There are also size dead zones where in the regulation where no car company will generally build. An interview with Mazda about the death of the Mazda6 (the original intent for the inline 6) was that is was going to have to get 40mpg.

Oh boy. So all these Mazda dealers were right after all.

I do have a similar feeling. I have watched Mazda video and it seams that basically they just removed the 3rd row and replaced it with a little bit of underfloor storage right behind the 2nd row and left everything else exactly the same. It's going to be really difficult to reach across the whole trunk to get to this underfloor space. Everything else is pretty much the same and for me unfortunately it is a big no. I just don't need such a big car especially that storage wise is not going to be more useful than my current CX-5.

Yes, most likely will have bigger trunk space but no more 40/20/40 split of the 2nd row and this is such a useful function (CX-60 in Europe has it), storage space in the 1st and 2nd row is the same like in CX-90 which means - is useless. Yes, color schemes look nice and engine options are tempting but I need a family car in the first place and down the road most likely something smaller than CX-9.
We watched a real review of it on YouTube the other day. It's a CX-90 with the third row removed. I myself leased a CX-90 PHEV in September, 23 and thought when the lease is up I would prefer to "downsize" to the CX70 but it looks like it's just a CX-90 with chairs removed. I leave my third row down all the time anyway so I might as well go with another CX-90 in 2-1/2 years. I'd rather have the choice of folding the seats down versus not having them when I need them. In any event, I love the car and think it's the best I have ever owned my entire 69 years and I have had lots of different brands. This blows them all away in ride, 68 MPG, quietness, firm stance, rock solid materials inside and luxury (white interior with the faux wood and metal detailing looks awesome.).

Latest posts

Back