Mazda5 Caliper return spring replacement (emergency/parking brake sticking)

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
2012 Mazda 5 GT: Had an ongoing issue with the parking brake not releasing properly. Pulled the wheel today and notice significant crud and debris caked around the cable pivot. Cleaned it all off and the pivot seems relatively free to move, so problem somewhat solved. However, the car has 215,000 Km’s on it and thinking it couldn’t hurt to pop a new return spring on there. Is the spring available separately anywhere (Canada)? I’ve searched and can’t find it unless I buy a new caliper for C$150-170, which obviously would solve all my issues, but I’d like to try a $5 spring before I go that route. Any tips?

Attachments

• 458F84ED-66D6-42B1-911B-BCECC3A8EC63.jpeg
    458F84ED-66D6-42B1-911B-BCECC3A8EC63.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hello, I have a 2014 Mazda 5 in Ontario (the GTA) and I logged in today to post my problem (I think we have the same issue): my parking brake "sticks". In other words, I release it, but it is still grabbing the rotors / stopping the car.

Two comments: it looks like you have a CX-5. So maybe you posted on the wrong forum?

Secondly, that caliper looks so similar to mine!

One question for you: did you apply any lubrication? Where?

Hello, I have a 2014 Mazda 5 in Ontario (the GTA) and I logged in today to post my problem (I think we have the same issue): my parking brake "sticks". In other words, I release it, but it is still grabbing the rotors / stopping the car.

Two comments: it looks like you have a CX-5. So maybe you posted on the wrong forum?

Secondly, that caliper looks so similar to mine!

One question for you: did you apply any lubrication? Where?
Hey there. I do indeed have a CX-5, but I also have a Mazda 5. I will adjust my profile info. to make that more clear, so thank you for pointing that out.

This is about my 2012 Mazda 5 GT (6MT)

It's very easy to access and get a look at what is happening by just pulling off the wheel. Icould see there was all kinds of road debris and dirt jammed around the pivot arm. I scraped off all the accumulated crud, then cleaned the area off with brake-clean. This make a huge improvement and the brake now works properly. I did NOT apply any additional lubricant as I felt that will just attract and trap even more debris around the pivot arm. I would like to replace the spring though as I'm sure it's been stretched and somewhat worn out over 10+ years and 215K.

I see some manufactures make the pivot arm removable, directly from the outside of the calliper. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Although I can't be sure about that. I was hoping that the pivot could be removed and whatever pin is holding it into the caliper could then be lubricated with caliper pin lubricant. There does seem to be a very thin rubber boot/seal directly underneath the pivot arm. However at this point I'm thinking the calliper has to be disassembled in order to get at whatever (circlip?) is holding the pin in.

Hey there. I do indeed have a CX-5, but I also have a Mazda 5. I will adjust my profile info. to make that more clear, so thank you for pointing that out.

This is about my 2012 Mazda 5 GT (6MT)

It's very easy to access and get a look at what is happening by just pulling off the wheel. Icould see there was all kinds of road debris and dirt jammed around the pivot arm. I scraped off all the accumulated crud, then cleaned the area off with brake-clean. This make a huge improvement and the brake now works properly. I did NOT apply any additional lubricant as I felt that will just attract and trap even more debris around the pivot arm. I would like to replace the spring though as I'm sure it's been stretched and somewhat worn out over 10+ years and 215K.

I see some manufactures make the pivot arm removable, directly from the outside of the calliper. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Although I can't be sure about that. I was hoping that the pivot could be removed and whatever pin is holding it into the caliper could then be lubricated with caliper pin lubricant. There does seem to be a very thin rubber boot/seal directly underneath the pivot arm. However at this point I'm thinking the calliper has to be disassembled in order to get at whatever (circlip?) is holding the pin in.

Unless you are the type who yells "By the power of Grayskull..." and goes full He-Man every time you pull on the hand brakes, mileage has no correlation to the cable or spring (holding it taught for a LONG time) degrading.

Try if this helps first.

Unless you are the type who yells "By the power of Grayskull..." and goes full He-Man every time you pull on the hand brakes, mileage has no correlation to the cable or spring (holding it taught for a LONG time) degrading.

Try if this helps first.
Springs stretch and when the handbrake is applied the spring is under tension, this stretching it. A reasonable correlation that the more the car is driven the more the handbrake is applied, the more it’s stretched. Although I suppose you could also say the less it’s driven, the more the handbrake is on, and left on, for extended periods. So either way, after 10+ years, a new $5 spring can’t hurt.

Thanks for the link, but I had considered the lack of caliper pin lube. However, the brakes (pads, rotors) were recently redone by a reputable shop and appear to be wearing evenly so I don’t think it’s lack of lubricant in that area. What I really want to know is how does the pivot arm come OFF/OUT of the caliper. Any idea wrt to that aspect?

Last edited:
Good to know you have a 2012 Mazda 5 and we are basically talking about the same issue.

In my case, when I removed the wheels, the caliper was clean. No debris of any kind.

The arm and / or spring may not be replaceable by themselves. This website shows that the whole caliper is ONE PART NUMBER. I don't think you can go to the dealer and order only the spring.

More that $500 just for a caliper? That's nuts. I am almost always a OEM parts kinda guy, but no way I could pay that for a caliper.

Rockauto has an anti-rust coated caliper made by Raybestos for $55.
Screenshot_20221124-133013.png

Good to know you have a 2012 Mazda 5 and we are basically talking about the same issue.

In my case, when I removed the wheels, the caliper was clean. No debris of any kind.

The arm and / or spring may not be replaceable by themselves. This website shows that the whole caliper is ONE PART NUMBER. I don't think you can go to the dealer and order only the spring.

Yeah, I’ve found a place in the UK that sells return springs individually. Although they say the one they have doesn’t fit the 2.5L North American vehicle, only the diesels and 2.0L. However, it looks very similar and for C$8 I might give it a shot. My Mum lives in the UK so shipping is not a factor.

Other option is a new caliper, and since we don’t have Rock Auto here in Canada, they are readily available for about C$150.

But so far, my “fix” seems to be holding. How many kilometers on your car? Perhaps the caliper itself is starting to bind, or the aforementioned caliper pins need a re-lube.

WAIT: Nevermind I just realized both calipers are new. Seems likely it’s the cable then. Have you disconnected the cable from the pivot arm and checked to see how freely the spring returns the caliper to the correct position?

Back