Looking for smaller Mazda key fob

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
That OEM 1.75 x 2.875 key fob is clownishly big. Are there smaller one's that can be youth and programmed? So here's mine, but I don't even want anything as big as the smaller one shown.

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_003520732.jpg
    PXL_20221023_003520732.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 101
  • smaller fob.jpg
    smaller fob.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 107

I checked out some of those listings, because I've wanted a 3rd key. The FCC ID, IC, and Model Number should match if you are buying a spare key. They will need to match to program the key.

Last edited:
The smallest is called a key and if they still allowed that your lost key could have been replace for under $3. Key fob one of the biggest car rip-offs ever!

i personally like the one i have which is similar to the one on the right. it's one of the first key fobs i've had that doesn't feel bulky or get in the way.

The smallest is called a key and if they still allowed that your lost key could have been replace for under $3. Key fob one of the biggest car rip-offs ever!

I've never had an issue with any of my key fobs. From my motorcycle to my truck, no problems.

There are MUCH larger ripoffs in the automobile world than fobs. much larger!

I don't know, maybe it's time to ditch the skinny jeans. :)

Our 2019 fob. which is smaller than the newer ones, is tiny in comparison to my Ranger fob. That one appears to be larger than the '21 CX-5 fob and I rarely even notice that they're both in my pocket.

It's strange that a key fob could seem too large while most people have no issue carrying a cell phone that's several times larger.

Most don't put their cells in their front pockets though.

In my case, both, actually. I wear cargo shorts pretty much year-round but my old iphone se can easily fit in the front pocket of jeans. Not kidding, I thought only women carried their phone in their back pocket.

That's what you get for thinking.

Most of my friends and family carry their phones in their front pockets, if they don't have them in their jacket pockets or their purses.

I haven't had to buy a new pair of jeans in a while, but all of my pants have front pockets that are either the same size or larger than the back pockets. I have an S21 Ultra with a case and I can sit down no problem with the phone in my front pocket. There is no way I'd keep it in my back pocket, it would stick out like a sore thumb and be an easy target for a pickpocket, plus there's no way I'm sitting my 200lb + ass on a $1500 device lol.

Either way, while a phone is a larger device, the keyfob seems to be more prone to accidental button presses. Maybe the reason for wanting a smaller fob is the idea that a smaller fob's buttons are less likely to be accidentally pressed? Or maybe it's just to manage the amount of bulk if the user doesn't want to remove anything attached to the keyfob (house keys, gym tag, air tag/tile, etc.).

I agree that phone goes in front pocket.
I don't wear skinny jeans, so no issues with space/sitting down.
Plus, I would think a phone on the back pocket would be worst for sitting.
I'm also a front pocket wallet guy. Phone left, wallet right.

While it's not a CX5 fob, my Edge key fob is a bit chunky. Not necessarily the length/width, but thickness (that's what she.....ah, never mind). I don't like carrying that key in my shorts/jeans pockets.

Reactions: TBD
It's strange that a key fob could seem too large while most people have no issue carrying a cell phone that's several times larger.

These are the kind of complaints on the Mazda forum.

A cell phone has a big battery and a large screen, and can do a lot more than a car key. I also wouldn't carry my cell phone on a keyring like I do with my keys.

Does anyone think this is a good design? The circuit board has a bigger footprint than the entire key that was previously used. It has a clownishly (like hal2 said) sized plastic case. Previous key design is roughly half the size and only uses 2 parts for the key case. This is a step backward.

bigkey.png

Back