Washer Reservoir Wiring (2002 Mazda Protege)

salguod

Mr. T'bird
My youngest's 2002 Protege washer sprayers don't work. I pulled the bumper and found that the wiring is disconnected (pretty sure this car has been wrecked and repaired before). The connector to the pump is connected, but the wires lead to a gray connector near the top of the reservoir that isn't connected to anything. Above the sheet metal, next to the washer fill, is another unused connection, but the gray connector won't quite reach there and it doesn't look like a compatible connector. No other open connectors nearby, though, that I could find.

I'll get a couple of pictures later, but I'm curious if anyone knows where the top connector should connect? If the connectors are supposed to connect, I can cut and strip the wires, but I'm not sure if that's where it connects.

Did your sprayer just stop working or has it never worked?

If it just stopped working, you probably just need a wiper washer pump motor.

Disconnect the connector at the pump and check for +12V when the sprayer switch is on.

Apply 12V directly to the pump (noting polarity) and see it it works.

The extra wiring is probably for the float switch that turns on a "Washer Fluid Low" indicator light on some models of Protégé.

Those connections aren't necessary except to illuminate the light.

Screenshot_20220702-185348_DuckDuckGo.jpg

That gray connector probably has a brown wire with a white stripe and a black wire.

Screenshot_20220702-191947_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220702-192029_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220702-192111_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

It is in the (F) front harness and goes through the X-01 connector where it joins up with the (D) dash harness to get to your instrument cluster.

Your car may have not have the low washer fluid indicator light, but was roughed in for it at the factory.

My car has the light.
The Canadian P5 has DRL. (daytime running lights)

I don't think it's ever worked. I bought it for them a couple of years ago, and they've been complaining that the sprayers don't work. I had the bumper cover off and noted that the pump isn't plugged in at all, but there's no where obvious to plug it in.

Here's what I saw when I pulled the bumper cover:

20220702_195407.jpg

This gray connector was just dangling. One blue & red wire, one black wire.

20220702_195413.jpg

Near the fill neck is this unused white connector, which doesn't match or reach the other one:

20220702_195438.jpg

It's got a blue & red wire and a black wire with a white stripe:

20220702_195509.jpg

I've got this,..

IMG_20220702_201838.jpg
IMG_20220702_201539.jpg
IMG_20220702_201547.jpg
IMG_20220702_201647.jpg

It looks like the wires that power the washer pump motor are L/O
Blue with an orange stripe and B black.

Try to find those wires and connector and hook them directly up to your washer motor.

PS,...

I turned the book over to the 2002.5 diagrams, and the wires were the same colors.

Try to find this connector or it wires,..

Screenshot_20220702-204446_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Black wire and a blue wire with an orange stripe.

The guys that fixed up the car may have been color blind or don't know how to read?? Lol

Didn't they test their fix??

This kinda looks like the shape of the correct connector.

Screenshot_20220702-205110_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Check the wire colors on that connector.

I had the bumper cover off and noted that the pump isn't plugged in at all,..

This might be the proper connector??

Check to see if that blue wire has an orange stripe.
The black wire looks correct.

See if there is +12 volts on those wires when the sprayer switch is engaged.

Apply 12V to the two white wires and see if the sprayer sprays. (noting polarity)

Screenshot_20220702-214002_DuckDuckGo.jpg

You could install a switch or button directly from the battery, to the switch, to those two white wires to spray the windshield.

The white connector looks like blue/orange & black, the gray looks like it's blue/red and black. Hard to say for sure. Seems like they are the wires that should be connected. I'll check for 12v at the blue/orange wire when the washer switch is hit.

Funny thing is that I checked under the hood of my middle kid's 2003 Protege (yes, we have two Protege's in the family.) and there's no white connector there at all.

Like I said, this 2002 was wrecked before we bought it and definitely put together poorly. The headlight aim was terrible. The vertical support at the hood latch was also missing. Thankfully, it was only $1700 a couple of years ago.

They just rear ended an SUV, submarined under the bumper and caught the trailer hitch on the upper core support. No injuries, but I'm hoping to get this thing back together since it still runs and drives fine. I'd like to get the sprayers working while it's apart.

Reactions: pcb
OK, so it turns out the washer pump was wired fine and getting 12v when the switch was hit. The problem was a bad pump. I have no idea what those two loose connectors are for, they both seem to have blue with red wires, but they seemt o have nothing to do with the washer pump.

Got a new pump and all is right with the world.

Reactions: pcb
I have no idea what those two loose connectors are for, they both seem to have blue with red wires, but they seemt o have nothing to do with the washer pump.

Perhaps those connectors were never used?
Mazda may have used the same wiring harness for all the different Protégés and some models had more features than others.
Perhaps the automatic and standard transmission use some different connectors?

I think I've found it.
It's for the fog lights, and your Protege probably doesn't have fog lights, so the connector isn't used.

Screenshot_20220724-195202_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Back