2022 CX-5 Improvements

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
When the 2022 was released, Mazda played up the mechanical improvements as well as the styling tweaks. Things like a more responsive 6-speed transmission, better NVH, suspension tweaks, better seats etc.
I haven’t read or seen a review touting these things.

Anyone here upgrade from eg a 2020/2021 who has noticed the improvements?

I just picked my '22 Signature up yesterday. Had a '20 Sig. before.

I will say I can notice right away there is some sort of improvement with harshness when hitting potholes/bumps. There is a noticeable muting of the sounds and harshness now.

I haven't really noticed anything new with the seat. Maybe the middle of the seat is squishier?

I have noticed some changes in the transmission but I suspect it's still learning my driving behaviours.

I do really like the styling. I wasn't keen on the rims but they are already growing on me. So happy they updated the exhaust tips on these as well.

Huge improvement in the Infotainment. Although it reset itself on my test drive, it's so much more modern and there are some things I need to learn on it.
Also, the Traffic Jam Assist is an interesting feature. Because of that button on the wheel, it moved around a few others I was used to so I've gotta get used to that now.

The headlights are brighter as well, I noticed the pattern on the garage door is more spread and more intense. I recall reading that there are more LEDs in these or something to that effect.

Also, the telematics stuff seems a bit gimmicky. I am excited to have remote start, however.

Due to the Easter long weekend, I won't get to take it on my commute to work until mid next week. I can update once I get more seat time.

Attachments

• IMG_6947.jpg
    IMG_6947.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I have '17 GT and '22 Turbo. Here is my comparison:

w.r.t. '22:
PROs:
1. quieter overall. Front side window glass are now laminated. They were safety glass on '17.
2. engines: 2.5T vs. 2.5NA. No comparison. Much more torquey with 2.5T from 1k rpm to 3krpm. Most useful rpm range on highway cruising. Passing with ease.
3. Love the digital center dash.
4. much higher resolution LCD screen than '17's.

CONs:
1. Address entry is not as intuitive as '17. Rotary dial entry is bad user-interface. Slower than a keyboard-like setup in '17. No touch entry on '22.

I recently upgraded from a 2019 GTR to a 22, both turbo. The 22 is noticeably quieter inside, the fake engine noise from the Bose is noticeable to me at times, especially if I don’t have the music cranked, but I don’t mind it too much. The infotainment is a huge upgrade from the previous gen, wireless charger does not work to well with iPhones.
Lastly, the 22 turbo does feel a bit faster and the suspension is a bit firmer.

I am excited to have remote start, however.
If it's like the 2021, don't get too excited - hate using the app to start it - it sucks. Takes too long to activate and the car shuts off when you open the door. Please no need to discuss "it's supposed to do that for security" BS - the security is that if you don't have the FOB it shuts off when you put your foot on the brake to get it in gear, like the aftermarket ones Anyway, some of us got an aftermarket, Compustar or Fortin.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I have '17 GT and '22 Turbo. Here is my comparison:

w.r.t. '22:
PROs:
1. quieter overall. Front side window glass are now laminated. They were safety glass on '17.
2. engines: 2.5T vs. 2.5NA. No comparison. Much more torquey with 2.5T from 1k rpm to 3krpm. Most useful rpm range on highway cruising. Passing with ease.
3. Love the digital center dash.
4. much higher resolution LCD screen than '17's.

CONs:
1. Address entry is not as intuitive as '17. Rotary dial entry is bad user-interface. Slower than a keyboard-like setup in '17. No touch entry on '22.
Cons Help: You can use addresses in your iPhone contacts list, or use MyMazda app to send an address to your car. Much more efficient than rotary dialing addresses.

If it's like the 2021, don't get too excited - hate using the app to start it - it sucks. Takes too long to activate and the car shuts off when you open the door. Please no need to discuss "it's supposed to do that for security" BS - the security is that if you don't have the FOB it shuts off when you put your foot on the brake to get it in gear, like the aftermarket ones Anyway, some of us got an aftermarket, Compustar or Fortin.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Does the car shut off if you have the FOB in your pocket?

If you auto start the vehicle using MyMazda app, it will turnoff the second the doors are unlocked / opened. Also my wife upgraded from a 2020 cx5 grand touring w/ premium package to a 2022 cx5 premium plus.
1. the seats feel like they have a small amount of additional padding on the seat surface. (Ie a tiny amount of addl padding)
2. the new navigation/ entertainment system is a significant upgrade from the old unit. 10.2 screen is higher resolution and overall the application is easier to use. The MyMazda app allows additional functionality over the old unit.
3. at lower speeds the transmission feels a little smoother to me but it’s still learning our driving habits4. she went from Fwd to Awd which to me feels more planted in poor weather like rain/snow.

Does the car shut off if you have the FOB in your pocket?
Yup, as soon as you open the door, And there's no reason for it.

Some say "it shuts off when you open the door so that no one steals it" That makes no sense. With almost all aftermarket remotes, as mentioned before, the security is that if you don't have the FOB with you it shuts off when you try to step on the brake to engage the gear shift. - Easy Peazy, if you have the FOB you drive off, if not, then engine dies. Again, no good reason that the Mazda starts kills the engine when you open the door.

Some have offered "big deal, so you take 3 seconds to start the car again" - Wrong! It's a pain when it's 115 in Phoenix and you don't want the air to stop even for 3 seconds. I guess it's the same with the heat blowing warm in Chicago

Yup, as soon as you open the door, And there's no reason for it.

Some say "it shuts off when you open the door so that no one steals it" That makes no sense. With almost all aftermarket remotes, as mentioned before, the security is that if you don't have the FOB with you it shuts off when you try to step on the brake to engage the gear shift. - Easy Peazy, if you have the FOB you drive off, if not, then engine dies. Again, no good reason that the Mazda starts kills the engine when you open the door.

Some have offered "big deal, so you take 3 seconds to start the car again" - Wrong! It's a pain when it's 115 in Phoenix and you don't want the air to stop even for 3 seconds. I guess it's the same with the heat blowing warm in Chicago
It also puts wear and tear on the starter and battery.

Yes, it does. The reason they are beefed up is BECAUSE it puts wear and tear on the starter and battery! :)
That would only apply if they weren’t beefed up then wouldn’t it. The battery and starter is designed for stop start and hundreds of thousands of cycles unlike standard battery and starter. Luckily for the uninformed, Mazda have thought of these things.

Do the '22's with GPS still give the speed / red light camera warnings? My wife's '21 CX-30 doesn't do it.

Does your '20 give warnings? My '19 nor my '21 have that. All I get is the speed limit shown in the HUD and gauge cluster.

Does your '20 give warnings? My '19 nor my '21 have that. All I get is the speed limit shown in the HUD and gauge cluster.
My 17 and 20 have both given cam audible warnings. You have to turn it on in the settings and have the GPS SD card installed. But my wife's 2021 CX-30 with the newer infotainment system doesn't have an option to turn it on in any of the settings I can find.

for the speed limit on the cx5 (at least until 2021) it should be under the TSR (trafffic sign recognition) menu if I am not mistaken. That requires nav sd card and navigation.
One can set the warning +5mph or +10mph above to trigger a warning.

for the speed limit on the cx5 (at least until 2021) it should be under the TSR (trafffic sign recognition) menu if I am not mistaken. That requires nav sd card and navigation.
One can set the warning +5mph or +10mph above to trigger a warning.
That's just the over the speed limit warning though. My '20 announces that you're approaching either a speed cam or red light cam and to slow down. It's not perfect since it always tells you to slow down even if you're not speeding, but I can live with it since Chicago has the speed cams set up for revenue more than safety. The speed cam fines are set at 6 to 9 over the limit it's $35 and at 10 over it's $100. The red light cam warning is also a real money saver since it can be hard to judge the yellow light's timing sometimes and it's 100 bucks a pop if they tag you with those babies.

That adds up if you're careless, just ask my pissed off wife. That's why I was disappointed to see her '21 CX-30 doesn't have the feature.

This morning I got a good drive in the dark with the new headlights. They are definitely brighter, aimed correctly (rare from factory) and have a very interesting pattern in the high beam. When the high beams activate, you can still see the sideways z pattern of the low beam cut off in the beam (it's a darker line in the bright beam spread). This is the first time I've ever seen this in a car with this type of high/low beam system. I found it a little distracting at first as there was a clear zig-zag pattern on the road as I was driving.

I am wondering if there are additional LEDs that turn on when the high beams activate instead of the usual flip down of the physical block that my previous CX5 had because as they are working now, the cut off stays when the high beams turn on, there are just additional LEDs that shine above the cut off of the low beam.

Back