Larger Tires and Electronic Systems

I have a 2021 Sport with the 17 inch wheels. I am looking at changing out my tires and was wondering if anyone has had issues moving to a larger size tire. Stock I have 225/65/17 and was looking to go to 235/65/17. Other threads on this forum and elsewhere confirm they will likely fit, but I ran across the below link regarding increased tire size.

Mazda Help

Should I be worried about system malfunctions even if the larger tires fit? This is a 1.8% increase in overall diameter.

The tires I bought (LX25) have 12/16 tread. When they wear down to 4/16 that's quite a change.
Are you thinking of tires with very deep treads? Or some with maybe 9/16?

The tires I bought (LX25) have 12/16 tread. When they wear down to 4/16 that's quite a change.
Are you thinking of tires with very deep treads? Or some with maybe 9/16?
That is a good point about tire wear and diameter. I’m looking at the Falken Wildpeak Trail tires. Not sure if the tread depth specs. I do a bit of off pavement driving these days as well as trips to Colorado and the stock Yokohama tires aren’t cutting it. Was looking at the larger size just to get a little more side wall.

A 1.8% increase will have a very minor effect on the car and it's systems. Actual speed will be very slightly higher than the speed displayed (61.1 km/h while speedo reads 60 km/h). All of the active safety features may also be slightly affected due to the slight change in height, but you probably won't even notice a difference. Nothing will malfunction and the systems will continue to work just fine. However, the bigger the change is from OEM, the more likely it is that the system will not function as intended. Generally I try to stick to a +/- 3% threshold for my cars, but I know others have moved to oversized tires (not necessarily on the CX-5) with no major issues.

I am running 225/75/16, which is 2.8% larger than stock at 29.3". If you wanted more sidewall on the stock 17" wheels, I'd consider 225/70/17, which is 29.4" and will give you more sidewall than the 235/65/17. Jkiddd33 is running 245/65/17 which is 29.5" with no issues. Wider tires have the advantage of sticking out more beyond the wheel and greater traction than 225 but will also have more rolling resistance and heavier steering. By downsizing the wheel, the contact patch isn't wider but it is taller. There are pros and cons to each size. I wasn't happy with the 235/70/16 tires I tried first but am very happy with the 225/75/16 which I can run at a lower pressure, 27 PSI. See my thread here if you're interested. Fat Tires

I am running 225/75/16, which is 2.8% larger than stock at 29.3". If you wanted more sidewall on the stock 17" wheels, I'd consider 225/70/17, which is 29.4" and will give you more sidewall than the 235/65/17. Jkiddd33 is running 245/65/17 which is 29.5" with no issues. Wider tires have the advantage of sticking out more beyond the wheel and greater traction than 225 but will also have more rolling resistance and heavier steering. By downsizing the wheel, the contact patch isn't wider but it is taller. There are pros and cons to each size. I wasn't happy with the 235/70/16 tires I tried first but am very happy with the 225/75/16 which I can run at a lower pressure, 27 PSI. See my thread here if you're interested. Fat Tires
I checked out your thread before and your setup looks great! For now I am sticking with stock wheels. I ended up getting 235/65/17 Nitto Nomad Grapplers. They fit with no issues and look great. So far on the road they feel great and don't produce much noise. We will see how they handle the dirt.

mqMxoJn.jpg

Back