New Nokian WRG5 Tires

I'm sure they're an excellent tire but still will be a compromise over dedicated winter tires.

Though, at least to me, the WR G4 isn't more than a ~10% reduction off the outright winter performance of the top-end Hakkas that Nokian sells. (Have had both models of tire.)

While ice performance of the WR G4 isn't nearly what a dedicated winter ice+snow tire is, I've been duly impressed with the non-ice performance of the WR G4. It's gotten me through most of the ugly winter weather that can be thrown on the roads. Have been in a foot of snow, snow over ice, slushy mix that got frozen with several inches of snow on top, "wintry" mix, sleet "marbles" on top of slushy mix, and so forth. And these tires have handled it all darned well. A half-step down from the Hakkas, but hands down seriously more capable than any ostensibly "all"-season tire I've ever used. The compound that Nokian has selected for the WR G4 is quite capable of handling all-year usage, including quite a bit below 0ºF.

Am on the third winter of the things and into the first couple months of the fourth year of year-'round use. Good tires. Wish those 19" sizes were priced similar to what the 17-inchers go for, but that's about my only gripe.

I, too, hope the G5 is equally competent in the nasty stuff.

Would dearly love to see the G5's in 245/60-17, even 235/60-17. That might get me to "spring" for a set of 17" rims when I get to the point of needing to replace my existing set of tires. Nokian? Nokian?? Pretty please? :)

Thanks for this thread - I'm always interested in a good tire for all-year use in snowy Central NY :)
My pleasure! I've heard of this new tire on a local TV car program. I never used AW tires but many folks here have or are planning to use them. I have Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV on steel wheels but since I don't drive much anymore (retired and mostly running errands) I could use AW tires and not having to deal with seasonal tire changes. Those who live in harsh winter climate i.e. Minneapolis and have to go to work every day are better off with dedicated winter tires. There are many AW tires available now and it seems to be the new trend. When I look at AS tires, they look more like summer tires of the past so that could explain the AW tires trend.

With this new offering, it would be nice to see a comparison with other AW tires like Michelin Cross Climate 2.

Available in 225/65/17 and 235/55/19 not 225/55/19 but should fit CX-5. For those who want all weather tires.
According to their web site they are available in 225/55/19.

The company has very nice things to say about its own tires, that's for sure.

But they are not posting pictures that reveal much about the tread pattern, which can you tell you everything you need to know.

The company has very nice things to say about its own tires, that's for sure.

But they are not posting pictures that reveal much about the tread pattern, which can you tell you everything you need to know.
A quick google search will give you plenty of images of the tread pattern.

A quick google search will give you plenty of images of the tread pattern.
Indeed. They look a lot like the Continental DWS06 Plus.

nokian_tyres_remedy_wr_g5_2.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I may have missed it while checking available sizes. V speed rated !

Though, at least on the WR G4 SUV model that I'm running, the tread is soft enough that the higher (V) speed rating is just a nice-to-know (for me, at least).

I'm no tire engineer, so I've no idea what, exactly, they need to trade off when it comes to specific raw materials additions, belt/sidewall selections and compounds to give tread enough strength to withstand such speed loads. I suppose I'd like it if Nokian has found a way to somewhat firm-up the cornering ability of the Remedy G5, above and beyond what its WR G4 predecessor has. But I'm assuming they've made it as "firm" as they can without sacrificing the outright winter grip abilities.

Looks like they've already stopped listing many of the previous sizes for the WR G4. Myself, I won't be needing to swap out the existing tires for another ~two years yet. I drive like a granny, anyway, so I just dial back the speeds through corners, a bit, to handle the softer nature of these tires.

My pleasure! I've heard of this new tire on a local TV car program. I never used AW tires but many folks here have or are planning to use them. I have Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV on steel wheels but since I don't drive much anymore (retired and mostly running errands) I could use AW tires and not having to deal with seasonal tire changes. Those who live in harsh winter climate i.e. Minneapolis and have to go to work every day are better off with dedicated winter tires. There are many AW tires available now and it seems to be the new trend. When I look at AS tires, they look more like summer tires of the past so that could explain the AW tires trend.

With this new offering, it would be nice to see a comparison with other AW tires like Michelin Cross Climate 2.
While the Nokian's aren't tested here, the CrossClimates are so you can get an idea:

Back