2014 Mazda3: Timing chain cover leaking

Google

At the dealer the day, our Mazda3 with only 53K miles or 85K kilometres showed signs of timing chain cover leaking. The stealership mentioned it will be over $1500 to repair and they will need the car for a day. Upon research, it appears there is a TSB on the leak but TSBs are not the same as a recall so they won't be covered outside Mazda's Powertrain warranty.

I'm curious to see if any "anti-leak" additives (should) or can be used to help slow down the leak? Or will it only make things worse.

Additionally, have any of you experienced this issue with your Mazda3?

Don't use that antileak stuff. They swell rubber parts and then they harden and in 6 months you have a river instead of a leak.

I'd try an indy shop as they should be cheaper.

Don't use that antileak stuff. They swell rubber parts and then they harden and in 6 months you have a river instead of a leak.

I'd try an indy shop as they should be cheaper.
I was thinking that based on past experiences when I was in my youth. Thanks for reiterating this.

I thought about an indy shop/garage. But very few have this kind of experience with the Mazda3 where they have to take everything apart like A/C and more. It's a mammoth job and while I expect there to be issues with the repair, I believe it will be even worse at an indy shop given their lack of experience with Mazdas. I guess it's a catch-22.

First, and most importantly, do you have any idea how bad the leak is, and how much oil your engine is losing? There are different levels of leak severity, ranging from slightly weeping to actively dripping. And you can be certain that this stealership will tell you that the repair is urgently needed, even if it's at the early weep stage, and losing virtually no oil at all.

If you don't know the answer to those questions, then go back to Mazda and ask them to show you the actual oil leak(s) that they found. And you should also start carefully monitoring the oil level, in order to determine exactly how much (if any) is being lost.

First, and most importantly, do you have any idea how bad the leak is, and how much oil your engine is losing? There are different levels of leak severity, ranging from slightly weeping to actively dripping. And you can be certain that this stealership will tell you that the repair is urgently needed, even if it's at the early weep stage, and losing virtually no oil at all.

If you don't know the answer to those questions, then go back to Mazda and ask them to show you the actual oil leak(s) that they found. And you should also start carefully monitoring the oil level, in order to determine exactly how much (if any) is being lost.
Thanks for responding. The dealer seemed sincere when the service advisor said to keep an eye and they will look at again at the next service.

For right now, t's just slightly weeping. I looked underneath and there is some oil around the seal, but nothing on the ground.

However, I really would like to know if this is a known (common) "defect". And if so, Mazda should do the right thing and cover it even after the warranty has expired. But we all know how automakers think.

We keep our cars for more than 15 years and I think right now is a terrible time to buy a car due to chip shortages et al resulting in inflated prices due to low demand.

I had a rear main seal leak and that timing chain cover leak on my CX-5. Both repaired under warranty . TC weep came back. I just clean it up a couple times a year. Nothing hits the ground. It comes and goes for whatever reason... perhaps temp but has never gotten worse.

In which part of the country do you live? I have not seen any seepage from my 2014 3. The ambient temperature here in San Diego is moderate, My car has about 30,000 miles on it.

In the warmer months here in WA state I don't notice any seepage.... as it grows colder in winter it starts to show up.

MC-10145244-9999-page-001.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-002.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-003.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-004.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-005.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-006.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-007.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-008.jpg
MC-10145244-9999-page-009.jpg

Just had my '14 Mazda3 in for oil change and tire rotation (for $69.99, great deal in SF Bay area).
Of course, the dealer tried very hard to find every sign of oil leak so that they can lighten my wallet.

"Timing chain cover oil seepage".
$1700, they said....

Anyway, not going to spend $1700 on oil seepage.
When I see oil on the ground, I will take it seriously.
For now, wipe it clean and keep an eye on it.
Might trade it in within 1 yr for the new Z. :LOL:

Seems to be a common problem for that generation Mazda3. Good luck though trying to get a new vehicle next year. Wait lists are long and availability low. Stealerships have us by our jewels. My Mazda 3 is made in Japan.
Just had my '14 Mazda3 in for oil change and tire rotation (for $69.99, great deal in SF Bay area).
Of course, the dealer tried very hard to find every sign of oil leak so that they can lighten my wallet.

"Timing chain cover oil seepage".
$1700, they said....

Anyway, not going to spend $1700 on oil seepage.
When I see oil on the ground, I will take it seriously.
For now, wipe it clean and keep an eye on it.
Might trade it in within 1 yr for the new Z. :LOL:

So was my 3. I just recently had it in for the i-ELOOP battery change. They suggested a throttle body flush but at 30,000 miles, I didn't think that was necessary. They did not find any seepage.

Thankfully, it rarely gets anywhere near freezing temperatures, here in Southern California. My son has a 2012 Mazda 3 with 100,000 miles or so on it and there does not appear to be any oil seepage.

My '14 spent its time from Sacramento (hot) to San Diego (cool).
Never in cold weather.
Still, it developed this seepage within the past year. (in Sacramento)
A full-circle check did not mention this last year.

Anyway, not a big deal to me if the oil loss is not significant.
(i.e. no oil spot on the floor)
Just a dirtier engine if you look close enough and at the specific spot.

Agreed. It may not get any worse for quite a few years.

Mine hasn't gotten any worse. I just clean up every year with a little brake cleaner. Insignificant oil loss according to the dipstick and doesn't appear to even hit the under engine cover.

That's somewhat reassuring to hear.

If it wasn't for the pandemic and the shortage of new cars and them selling about MSRP, we would be trading it in for a new Toyota.

As an FYI, this issue falls under "minor engine issues" among the many reliability categories that Consumer Reports tracks over the past 8 years. The Mazda 3 has a consistent much better than average rating from 2013 to 2020.
The Toyota Corolla, its competitor, has identical overall reliability ratings during the same span of years. The biggest difference is in the "in-car electronics" category where Toyota Corollas seem to be more reliable. My 3 has had zero issues with its electronics over the past 8 years.

Back