Mazda Factory Trailer Hitch question

The bottom of the Curt hitch has over 10" of ground clearance. The car would have to be practically standing straight up in the air on it's tail for the receiver to hit the ground. Part of the exhaust system is lower than the bottom of the hitch.

Upvote 0
The bottom of the Curt hitch has over 10" of ground clearance. The car would have to be practically standing straight up in the air on it's tail for the receiver to hit the ground. Part of the exhaust system is lower than the bottom of the hitch.
The ground can come up to hit the receiver, so to speak. The hitch is at the very rear of the vehicle so it affects the angle.

Upvote 0
If you do opt for the OEM hitch (which requires cutting the bumper cover), you can always cover the hole with the OEM garnish:

(no affiliation with that site, just the first google result with pictures).

I opted for a draw-tite hitch.
Yep this is what I am planning to do after cutting it or use a Jig saw fine scroll blade and then cover the cut with https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Upvote 0
Yep this is what I am planning to do after cutting it or use a Jig saw fine scroll blade and then cover the cut with https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Don't use a jigsaw or even cutoff wheel. They are far too imprecise, and the results will look like absolute ass.

You need to use an air saw for this. Air saws have counterweights in them that smooth out the blade vibrations, allowing for ultra fine cuts. That's why that's pretty much the only cutting tool that body shops use.
1630173414487.png

Upvote 0
Maybe an air saw would be best, but if you cover the edge with that trim it should help conceal minor imperfections.

I like the 2" hitch because of the accessories it fits, but the OEM could look better, unless you botch the bumper cut.

Upvote 0
Don't use a jigsaw or even cutoff wheel. They are far too imprecise, and the results will look like absolute ass.

You need to use an air saw for this. Air saws have counterweights in them that smooth out the blade vibrations, allowing for ultra fine cuts. That's why that's pretty much the only cutting tool that body shops use.
View attachment 302596
Good tip. I dont own a compressor but will look at an electric one if there is. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Maybe an air saw would be best, but if you cover the edge with that trim it should help conceal minor imperfections.

I like the 2" hitch because of the accessories it fits, but the OEM could look better, unless you botch the bumper cut.
Another member here Hipoe used the Jig Saw with fine tooth scroll blade. Yeah unfortunately the Mazda hitch is class 1 (1.25” hitch) is not as popular with bike racks it seems 2” has more varieties.
33CC4107-94DE-49DA-8A0C-56C9D74C248F.jpeg
9B4D64A1-8560-437D-9EA2-4F6297377BBE.jpeg

Upvote 0
If one doesn't have an air powered cutter, maybe a dremel with a cut-off wheel would work okay. I have good control with my dremel. How come the hole has to be so large?

Upvote 0
LoL. I remembered he said he used an incorrect cutout. From the hitch installation manual it looks too wide and that upper notch seems unnecessary lol.

Upvote 0
There are steel loops on the sides of the hitch for safety chains, so the hole is wider. There is a place for the brake light wiring to attach if you tow a trailer.

Upvote 0
Back