Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. I see you have/had a 2005 6 wagon. I had a 2005 6i sedan. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Wanted a wagon but couldn't afford the jump up to the V6 at the time. Bought the 6i new... cheapest one on the lot. Kinda regret not spending ~$2k to get it back into near perfect form.

I still have it. I bought it used with 79k miles on it. It was love at first sight and I still love it. At 192k, it is time to baby it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense to the CX-5, but if I had the choice I'd buy that Mazda6 wagon. It has more cargo room, it's lighter, it's faster, it has better fuel economy, and it handles better. Looks are subjective, but it's on par with the CX-5. The only advantage I see for the CX-5 is an extra inch of ground clearance for off-road or driving in heavy snow.

No offense to the CX-5, but if I had the choice I'd buy that Mazda6 wagon. It has more cargo room, it's lighter, it's faster, it has better fuel economy, and it handles better. Looks are subjective, but it's on par with the CX-5. The only advantage I see for the CX-5 is an extra inch of ground clearance for off-road or driving in heavy snow.

Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.

It should be noted that rear legroom in the 6 wagon is actually less than the sedan.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back OFF topic lol. If Saab was still around, I surely would have traded in my 9-3 Wagon...actually Saab called it a Sport Combi :) ... For a 9-5 Wagon. Instead of the CX-5. The CX-5 is just a bigger wagon to me. LOL
That 6 Wagon isn't bad, though, and I did briefly consider the 3 hatchback.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the door switches which don't even illuminate at night...
I find this kind of humorous. I've had my Altima for ten years, and sitting here in my dining room on my laptop, I couldn't tell you if my door/electric window switches illuminate or not.
I'm not sure about other illumination either, like do my seat heater switches light up? Couldn't tell you. I'd have to go outside and check.
Just goes to show you how important this stuff really is. Cheers.

A fair point (tech advances) but a piss poor comparison. One is extremely convenient to use. The other... I'm not even sure it's really all that convenient unless you have arthritis and have a hard time opening a gas cap. Ask my wife how much she loves just leaving her key in her purse. Ask her to go back to using a key. That's a whole other level of convenience that, at least in my opinion, is in another league compared to... a gas cap. And apparently you need to learn how to use cap less by waiting xx amount of seconds? This is convenient?
Few people are "techier" than me. I am all for technology... but a gas cap, imo, doesn't need improved.
Again, I fault no one for liking this feature. But you can't compare it to keyless. I suppose I would compare it to an automatic lift gate. Another feature I don't care about. hehehe
;)

It's nice not to get fuel on your hands when and if a drip gets on the cap, and to avoid the tether allowing it to swing against the paint if you don't get it placed in its hook reception point properly and all. Basically...it's one less thing to dick with. You like auto up and down windows right?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859766-The-2017-Grill

Its not plastic. Plus look at the picture closely, forget you own a 16 and tell me with a straight face the 16 horizontal chinese platic grille looks better.

I don't own a 16. I own a 15. The metal is nice, but...meh. it's too angular, too much of a statement,like it's compensating for making the body more Toyota sienna. I'm just not a fan. The led strip below are nice, but the grill on the 16 is my favorite. My 15 isn't ugly, but the black plastic up top is chintzy

Eh...I am not a fan of the looks of wagons.

But the storage capacity must be nice!

Mazda6 Wagon Cargo Capacity (VDA):

506 Litres - Measured with rear seats up and up to tonneau cover.
1648 Litres - Measured with rear seats folded down and up to roof

CX-5 Cargo Capacity (VDA):

442 Litres - Measured with rear seats up and to tonneau cover
1342 Litres - Measured with rear seats folded down and up to roof

It's nice not to get fuel on your hands when and if a drip gets on the cap, and to avoid the tether allowing it to swing against the paint if you don't get it placed in its hook reception point properly and all. Basically...it's one less thing to dick with. You like auto up and down windows right?
You're not going to convince me. The only time I get gas on my hands is when it drops out of the nozzle. Capless doesn't solve that. And a tiny plastic cap isn't going to scratch the paint unless you're trying to scratch it.
Re: auto windows. Not must have. I guess I'm just a barbarian.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They don't even sell them in the US.

I also think that front fender line is awkwardly long on their STATION WAGON.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

They don't even sell them in the US.

I also think that front fender line is awkwardly long on their STATION WAGON.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

The wheelbase and the length of the wagon is shorter than the sedan.

Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Not too difficult. It's just a nice little feature and my wife will be driving it so. How difficult would it have been for Mazda to add that. It's not like an expensive part. I think Mazda dropped the ball on a few items that should have been included in the CX-5 GT where you do not have to purchase a special package like memory seats, no remote start, no apple car play, cannot use the screen while driving. Rear USB ports are hard to get to if you have a car seat in the back (my daughters seat would block it). I can get all those features on the EX-L which is not even the top on the line trim.
I agree with you. Memory seat should always be packaged with power seat, and shouldn't be in the optional Premium Package. Mazda CX-5 in Canada has been including memory seat in GT since MY 2016.5, why can't Mazda North American Operations do the same? This means I have to spend additional $1,830 for a package I don't really care about any of the features but the memory seat!

The location of the rear USB 2.1A charging ports are strangely and inconveniently hidden inside of rear center armrest as opposed to conveniently located at the rear end-cap of the front center console like everybody else. This essentially makes either rear USB ports or rear middle seat unusable. The front USB 1.0A ports for charging is too small of the current charging your cell phone but others have 1.5A at front and 2.5A for rear. Rear seat heating controls should be at the rear end-cap together with the rear USB ports like luxury cars do. The current location is too easy to get turned on accidentally while using the armrest, not to mention you can't access the controls with a car seat or a passenger sitting in the middle, exactly the same problem as rear USB ports.

Ever noticed our power-lock switches on front doors are having different on/off position from everybody else as the unlock position is at the lower position and lock position is at higher position of the switch. This arrangement confuses me even after 2+ years of the ownership. This's totally against conventional wisdom. Think about it, who'll design the old mechanical door lock knob with low for unlock (door open) and high for lock? Gear shift in manual mode is another example with up/down shift direction opposite to others although I can understand the design logic behind it.

Mazda designers and engineers have different ways of thinking. But sometimes they over-think too much and are trying too hard to be different from everybody else. This's good or bad. SkyActiv Technology is excellent; but some of the designs such as the power-lock switch and the location of the rear USB chargers and rear seat heating controls are not so much of great ideas!

2017 Mazda CX-5:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9812.PNG IMG_9990.PNG IMG_9989.PNG

Others:
2017-Honda-CR-V-USB-ports.jpg

1484155583-2017-cr-v-touring-int-interior-rear-usb-ports-1400-2x.jpg

MY17_CRV_technology_07.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy the extra power ports. :) My GX has about the worst config for accessory power. One 1 AMP USB up front & 180W rated 12V plug.... then this 120W -120V plug in in the back cargo area. Other markets including Canada get a 400W inverter in the back. I had hoped to plug my 50 quart ARB cooler back there but not enough power so will need to use a separate battery pack. The ARBs use really low power but 120W is still too borderline on startup wattage needed.

ARB-Freezer3.jpg

Seems Mazda USA believe their potential customers are willing to pay extra for standard features in other markets

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I loved the power options in my Jeep. 110V outlets all over the place. In 2010, for $37K, you got...

AWD, all-time, locking f/r diffs
357hp/390#tq (My real-world MPG was 16.5 in the Jeep, 22.5 in the Mazda)
Sunroof
NAV (With life traffic)
4WD LO
Leather w/microsuede inserts
Satellite radio
Remote start (using the fob, not some stupid phone app)
Auto-dimming headlights for approach cars on high-beam that actually worked really well.
Auto-wipers
Auto-dimming mirrors
110V outlets and USP up front and 110V in the cargo area.
A good sound system (vs. the mess in the Mazda)
Skidplates, vented diff with vent-tubing, sealed driveline, etc.
5/100K powertrain warranty

Literally the ONLY thing is, my Jeep had reliability issues, and my Mazda has not. had my Jeep not had those issues, I would have felt like a raging idiot trading it for a Mazda CX5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back