Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's not a matter of matterial. The 16 grill just looks much better and less in your face. Yes the metal is nice. But the whole front end of the 17 is obnoxious looking. I think it will be modified throughout the next couple years and will be improved.
Totally agree...

And if you read these forums a lot you see a few who traded in their 08 mercedes SUV for the Mazda.
You see folks turning in their Volvo's for a Mazda.

So because a few people on these forums traded in their Mercedes Benz/Volvo's, that's indicative of where most Mazda buyers are coming from? I'm sure I can find many people on Honda/Toyota forums that came from a BMW/Mercedes because they were tired of the reliability issues with german cars for that reason alone. That's not even including the lower costs of parts/labor of a japanese vehicle vs german/swedish.

Also does that explain why Mazda has some of the lowest customer loyalty rates in the industry? Fact is that most people who buy Mazda's, end up leaving the brand once it's time for a new vehicle(like myself). If they started including some of these minor features that people want(illuminated door switches, capless filler system, Apple CarPlay) especially considering they are trying to 'take the car to another level'(Per Dave Coleman) it might do them some good. Also they need to start including some features reserved for premium cars like cooled seats, 360 camera, etc...if they want to call their cars 'premium'. Honda/Toyota has to reserve these kinds of features for their premium brands(Acura/Lexus) but since Mazda doesn't have a premium brand, I don't see why they just don't add these options as another package.

Last edited:
No kidding, I don't understand the logic of people who trade in their 3-4 year old cars just because a new model comes out. Cars are the biggest depreciating asset one can own, drive the hell out of it until it can't go anymore. Is it really worth putting yourself thousands of dollars in debt(on top of the debt you still have on your existing model) because you HAVE TO HAVE the latest toy on the market?

And that's why God created leases! No debt, just a monthly "rent" payment, typically substantially lower than financing MSRP - and all the joy of driving the latest and greatest every few years!

Haven't driven the CR-V, but I did drive a lot of other sedans. I began with the 2016 Mazda 6, then 2015 Audi A4, 2015 Infinity Q50, Cadillac ATS, 2017 Acura TLX, and on a whim I test drove the CX5 which I wasn't even shopping for and it won by a mile (sounds silly I know).

The CX5 is as quiet as all of the above sedans I drove (Mazda 6 and Infinity were the loudest), and it was just as luxurious on the inside. I can't speak for the touring but I do know that I'm in love with my CX5 and couldn't imagine replacing it with anything that's considered non-luxury. Plus this thing turns a lot of heads and is a blast to drive.

For me it's not a matter of matterial. The 16 grill just looks much better and less in your face. Yes the metal is nice. But the whole front end of the 17 is obnoxious looking. I think it will be modified throughout the next couple years and will be improved.

I love the grill on mine. But the grill on your 16 looks very nice as well. See, both of our cars can have nice things.

Don't forget the door switches which don't even illuminate at night. I can't imagine adding something like this would cost much, but yet Dave Coleman from Mazda seems to think it can compete with the Lexus, Audi and Mercedes-Benz of the world...

I like a dark cabin personally, I'm glad there aren't a bunch of switches lit up. I've been in cars where everything glows and it's obnoxious. Once you learn where things are it's not a challenge to interact with whatever you need in the dark. I do think the lack of auto up/down windows and auto sunroof are an oversight, or evidence of excessive cost cutting, but lack of lighted buttons is a positive for me. I also really wish it had a red overhead light. My last vehicle had the ability to subtly illuminate the gear shift area with a faint red light and it was very helpful for seeing things in the cabin without sacrificing night vision.

Agreed. My previous car (Saab) had a NIGHT PANEL button. It would dim just about everything. I miss that. It even dimmed the speedo above 90MPH.

And yes, Mango, Mazda has a low (but improving) retention rate. People aren't fleeing Mazda.... because the window switches don't light up. Most of the time they leave for more expensive marquee's.

*edit* meant to reply to mango

My last car was a Mazda. In fact everyone that I know with a Mazda, also had a Mazda before their current one. Thankfully there are other car manufacturers out that that have illuminated door switches, and forums that exist for said cars. I'm sure Honda or Toyota would be happy to take your money.

To your point, I don't need a 360 degree camera to know something is premium. I bet next years Honda Fit will have one, and that car is far from premium. Also, most luxury cars do not come with 360 degree cameras as standard let alone optional equipment. The most stacked car in terms of standard features was the Acura TLX, but its the most boring car to look at inside and out, and it too was missing features that my GT has and it costs more. So yes the CX-5 isn't perfect but neither are any of the other cars that I looked at which is how I ended up with mine. It was the most well rounded, and best looking of the bunch (IMO + The new red is to die for). I was comparing this car to 40K cars and it felt every bit as luxurious on the inside and out.

Also does that explain why Mazda has some of the lowest customer loyalty rates in the industry? Fact is that most people who buy Mazda's, end up leaving the brand once it's time for a new vehicle(like myself). If they started including some of these minor features that people want(illuminated door switches, capless filler system, Apple CarPlay) especially considering they are trying to 'take the car to another level'(Per Dave Coleman) it might do them some good. Also they need to start including some features reserved for premium cars like cooled seats, 360 camera, etc...if they want to call their cars 'premium'. Honda/Toyota has to reserve these kinds of features for their premium brands(Acura/Lexus) but since Mazda doesn't have a premium brand, I don't see why they just don't add these options as another package.

Having those features would help. Imho doing something which Honda has refined over the years- to provide more space than anyone else in the class. That would help in US sales. More space sells in the US.

People aren't fleeing Mazda.... because the window switches don't light up. Most of the time they leave for more expensive marquee's.

And if you read these forums a lot you see a few who traded in their 08 mercedes SUV for the Mazda.
You see folks turning in their Volvo's for a Mazda.

Like I said - 5 out of 10 Mazdas sold are top trim, for Rav4 / CRV that number is close to 3 out of 10. Many Mazda buyers are not pulled from Nissan / Toyota or Honda but from the luxury segment.

Which one is it guys? Are they fleeing Mazda for luxury brands or are people fleeing luxury brands for Mazda? There are no statistics/data to support either. One statistic we do know is Mazda is near the bottom in customer loyalty rankings. If their cars start becoming more competitive in features that matter to most people that might change.

Last edited:
Mazda has low retention rate but also look at cars that are missing in Mazda lineup
1. Electric
2. Hybrids
3. Avalon or larger saloon.
4. Ford Edge / Nissan Murano equivalent SUV with more towing and space.
5. Van.
6. No more Mazda 2 / although you can buy a Toyota branded 6 speed iA.
7. No V6 for the proverbial American sports car enthusiast.
8. No Coupe's as well.

I did not get a 2nd Mazda also for one huge reason - they have the same drive train, 3-6 and CX-5. So if some big problem comes or a big drivetrain recall comes -- double whammy.

With the budget and research and only 4 known engines 2.0L / 2.5L / 2.2D and 2.5Turbo :: they are doing a good job.
The Mazda 5 was actually very very cheap, sub 21k for a Van the abysmal crash test ratings killed it.

I am intrigued that 6 Wagon is not being bought into US. It would see serial sales with Outback a competitor.

Having those features would help. Imho doing something which Honda has refined over the years- to provide more space than anyone else in the class. That would help in US sales. More space sells in the US.

Especially now that fuel prices are down. American buyers seem to want more space and more gadgets above anything else. And in my area, AWD.

I am intrigued that 6 Wagon is not being bought into US. It would see serial sales with Outback a competitor.

I'm sure people are tired of hearing me on this, but I would have loved to get another 6 Wagon. Sadly the US market only wants lifted wagons and not "sport" wagons. So it really would not compete against the Outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially now that fuel prices are down. American buyers seem to want more space and more gadgets above anything else. And in my area, AWD.

Had a 2011 Accord. Lots of space which drew me in. Got bored so went the Euro route and compromised on space and reliability for performance. Moved to Mazda with a bit more space and more reliability and compromised on performance...not bored.

Probably due to low sales of wagons in general because of CUV/SUV sales.

We have the wagon here but sales of the Mazda6 in general are comprehensively beaten by the CX-5

yes, even in the current 6 form it would be a fantastic purchase.

Mazda-6_Wagon-2017-1600-01.jpg

Mazda-6_Wagon-2017-1600-04.jpg

(cool)

Stop, you are making me drool on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol. I see you have/had a 2005 6 wagon. I had a 2005 6i sedan. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Wanted a wagon but couldn't afford the jump up to the V6 at the time. Bought the 6i new... cheapest one on the lot. Kinda regret not spending ~$2k to get it back into near perfect form.

Eh...I am not a fan of the looks of wagons.

But the storage capacity must be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back