So excited to get new CX-5

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
After driving the same vehicle for the past 12+ years I pick up a new 2015 CX-5 GT (with tech) this morning. I have not been able to sleep all week.

Last year I researched and narrowed my selection down to 2 vehicles, without considering Mazda. Thankfully, I looked at my research again in July and saw all the great reviews for the CX-5 and took it out. I am so impressed with this vehicle. That's pretty easy to say when upgrading 12 years in one shot, but I did a lot of research and test driving and by far this was my favourite vehicle.

I hope it remains that way once I have it for a while but from what I've seen people seem to love it more after time goes on. 2 more hours, woo hoo!

Thanks to all the people who have posted on Mazda 24/7. I read so much about the vehicle - probably too much which got me excited. This is a great resource.

Paul

Welcome and congrats! You'll love the AFS bi-xenons (might have to manually raise them up a couple notches, though). Share some photos when you get her!

Congrats on the new 2015 GT, enjoy it (and get some sleep too). What was your vehicle of last 12 years?

Good day,

I had a 2002 Chevy Blazer for the last 12 years and a 1999 Blazer for the three years before that!

It's been a fun day of playing around with it. I'll post some pictures shortly.

I have two things that I can't figure out even after searching. 1) I somehow screwed up the navigation sysem. I took the SD card out to back it up and get any updates and my computer wouldn't recognize it at all. I tried some updates on the computer but it might just be old (XP). I like to use things a long time before I upgrade! :) Anyhow, I put it back in the vehicle and it doesn't recognize it - says no maps found. I hope this is an easy fix with the dealer.

The other is the phone/blue tooth. I have a Blackberry Q10 (provided by work) and only 4 contacts from the phonebook load, pressing the talk button on the steering wheel doesn't activate anything but the bluetooth is connected. I deleted and paired a couple of times with no success.

Just a couple glitches that I'm sure will be worked out. I also understand the long posts on the USB restarting with the same song now! :) It is quite annoying but a press of the Shuffle button is all it takes.

I don't plan on moding it at all.

Sorry for all the multiple topics in a post - one quick thumbs up for the cargo liner. They don't sell them any more and only were available in the US (supposedly). I really wanted something to cover the back of the back seats to keep the dog hair off and save me some vacuuming. My dealer found 1 of 3 left in stock in the US and got it in. It is fantastic, totally covers the trunk. I also got the rubber cargo mat which just goes on top. There is no carpet showing now that needs to be vacuumed... I don't mind cleaning it, the dog hair just is so difficult to remove.

Regards,
Paul

Howdy Paul,

Congratulations !!!!

I'll be looking forward to hearing your review and thoughts.

I've been reading and lurking myself for a long time, and
have to say you'll love it here, a great bunch of folks that
are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Please post some pics when you can, Take Care, And Enjoy !!!

Craig

I have two things that I can't figure out even after searching. 1) I somehow screwed up the navigation sysem. I took the SD card out to back it up and get any updates and my computer wouldn't recognize it at all. I tried some updates on the computer but it might just be old (XP). I like to use things a long time before I upgrade! :) Anyhow, I put it back in the vehicle and it doesn't recognize it - says no maps found. I hope this is an easy fix with the dealer.

How old is the SD card reader? I seem to remember an issue a few years back of one I had that wouldn't see cards over 4GB.

After driving the same vehicle for the past 12+ years I pick up a new 2015 CX-5 GT (with tech) this morning. I have not been able to sleep all week.

Last year I researched and narrowed my selection down to 2 vehicles, without considering Mazda. Thankfully, I looked at my research again in July and saw all the great reviews for the CX-5 and took it out. I am so impressed with this vehicle. That's pretty easy to say when upgrading 12 years in one shot, but I did a lot of research and test driving and by far this was my favourite vehicle.

I hope it remains that way once I have it for a while but from what I've seen people seem to love it more after time goes on. 2 more hours, woo hoo!

Thanks to all the people who have posted on Mazda 24/7. I read so much about the vehicle - probably too much which got me excited. This is a great resource.

Paul

Congrats!
Imagine upgrading 23 years as I did. Finally let go of my '91 Mazda B-2600i in March, picked up the CX-5 just before Memorial Day. Having to find excuses to hop in it and blast off somewhere!

Congrats!
Imagine upgrading 23 years as I did. Finally let go of my '91 Mazda B-2600i in March, picked up the CX-5 just before Memorial Day. Having to find excuses to hop in it and blast off somewhere!

Wasn't that motor in the 2600 a Mitsubishi 2.6L? It sounds like it held up well over the years though

EDIT: My uncle had one of those for at least 10 years and never had any issues. I think it was a '90 though.

Last edited:

The other is the phone/blue tooth. I have a Blackberry Q10 (provided by work) and only 4 contacts from the phonebook load, pressing the talk button on the steering wheel doesn't activate anything but the bluetooth is connected. I deleted and paired a couple of times with no success.

Regards,
Paul

Not sure about the BT issue but the TomTom NAV issue is common. Here is the fix: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16850/kw/backup to new sd card

Basically put the SD card in the computer, use the file manager to locate and delete the folder called: loopdir. Then put the SD card back in the car and start it up until the NAV loads. Most previous custom settings will be lost.

Good day,

I had a 2002 Chevy Blazer for the last 12 years and a 1999 Blazer for the three years before that!
I bet there's a huge difference in a car that's 13 years older![emoji6] There's a lot of new technology in this CX-5 that should make your drive much funner and more convenient. Unfortunately, some of that tech comes with some growing pains, too.
I tried some updates on the computer but it might just be old (XP). I like to use things a long time before I upgrade! :)
Unfortunately in today's world with such quick advancing technology, it's best to keep upgrading quicker than in the past because of the quicker advancing technology. It's a vicious cat and mouse game. But technology won't slow down for you, so please don't be stubborn and slow down because of it. Take each step one at a time and stay ahead of the game. [emoji106](thumb)

Good day,

Things are looking up! The NAV system started up. I think yesterday I just used accessory power when I put the SD card back in and that is probably why it didn’t load up. I am behind in the maps (905 vs 930) and the software (10.851 vs 10.852). So I’ll have to deal with that another way.

I also figured out my phone only imports contacts I have added directly to the phone so I think it may be some type of security setting with work that all my Outlook contacts don’t move over. Otherwise all good.

Thanks Kedis82ZE8, re: old SD reader, it very well could be that. metalfab, I am not able to even read the card on the computer so I couldn’t delete the loopdir. Skorpio, up until now, my PC could update everything I have with no issues.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_20140824_080757.jpgIMG_20140824_080915.jpgIMG_20140824_080932.jpg

Ignore all that dog hair in the trunk (that was just 20 minutes of driving around to get her used to it)! Hence the cargo liner :)

Last edited:
Wasn't that motor in the 2600 a Mitsubishi 2.6L? It sounds like it held up well over the years though

EDIT: My uncle had one of those for at least 10 years and never had any issues. I think it was a '90 though.

Yes, the 2.6L was the Mitsubishi engine. That was the standard engine Mazda put in their 4x4 pickups but '91 was the first year it was offered in the 4x2 models (which I got). Biggest improvement was the fuel injection over the carbureted 2.2L. Nearly a 40% boost in HP but only a slight decrease in economy.

I had problems right out of the box with it though - it pinged on regular gas and seemed to have an excessive valve train rattle. I had them look at it several times but they'd only perform a decarbon treatment the tell me to run a couple of tanks of brand C gas in it - still didn't fix the problem. Just before the 36K warranty expired, I complained to the dealer owner and CC'd the regional service manager. They called me to bring it back in for additional work. Mazda had issued a silent recall on these engines and released a redesigned cylinder head. I got the new head, cam, valves - a totally brand new upper engine. It fixed the problems I was having.

With nearly 24 years of service I only racked up 190k miles on it. It was still running OK but 17 Minnesota winters finally took their toll with the rust. I donated it to charity and Mazda gave me a $750 owner loyalty discount on the CX-5.

Back