all 2013 cx-5 owners beware, you might have a rust going on under your hood!

gregbayato89

:
2013 cx-5 GS FWD
This is my first mazda, and now regretting owning one, due to all the issues that I experience, 1st defect on rotors, had to machine it after 2-4weeks of purchase, side mirror vibration, vibration when at highway speeds 120km+ mazda blamed me and my tires due to i rejected their tire rotation whatvever!!, paint peeling off and said I scratched it(as per mazda stealers) anyways, I was cleaning my car and found out the frame of my car is rusting underneath the hood! mazda said it is not covered due to it has no paint on it, meaning the vehicle paint, it's normal and crap, IS THIS NORMAL for a 1 year old car? oh please mazda just take my car back and give me my old one back =(

IMG_2379.jpg

will attach more pictures tomorrow, so you can see the defects that they have.

Last edited:
Geez... I was expecting a huge patch from an area that is not known for rust on any given car. Plus, that looks like minor (and small) surface rust from what may have started with a chip and exposure to moisture and contaminants (salt/chloride).

I'm all for dealerships giving proper servicing. Unfortunately, this is not severe enough for any manufacturer to approve of body work under corrosion warranty.

Last edited:
What did you trade in for the CX-5? Because I am sure it had way more rust than that. It is a nice blowup of what, a nickel size area? Rust is normally only warrantied for perforation, not surface rust. Surface rust on the vehicle paint they probably would address. Oh, your car doesn't have a frame. It is a unibody.

you are missing a clear pad there, ask dealer to cleanup touch up and place the clear sticker back on.

all minor issues but things like these drive owners crazy. maybe buy a Toyota or Honda next time.

Of the other problems you listed that you had, I'm kind of perplexed as to why a little bit of surface rust (and it really is an insignificant amount that is shown in your picture) is the issue that's drawing most of your fire. In all seriousness, are there any cars up there in Canada that have zero surface rust somewhere on the vehicle (other than a new, off the lot car)? Being a 2013 model year, hasn't it already been through a couple of harsh winters?

am just not expecting this kind of thing, especially for a brand new car, if it was like 2 years or more, then I think I would understand. Well I traded my 2006 rav 4 for this one. oh well I guess I have to live with it now.

you are missing a clear pad there, ask dealer to cleanup touch up and place the clear sticker back on.

all minor issues but things like these drive owners crazy. maybe buy a Toyota or Honda next time.

yeah, they did aknowledge that there was a pad missing there, all 2014 and above has it, but not the 2013 below.

Don't believe that a chip started it for It was under the hood, where the hood rubber sits on. just my opinion.

That is a small area. I would just treat it with a rust inhibitor and call it a day.

Don't believe that a chip started it for It was under the hood, where the hood rubber sits on. just my opinion.

There could have been dust or sand that was sandwiched between the rubber stand and the metal. So over time the vibrations from driving the car could have sanded down the thin paint down to the metal, exposing it to the elements, which let rust form. This is probably why there is a pad there on the newer cars.

At least it's only a small spot and there is a solution to fix it.

Perhaps he is better off riding a fixed gear bicycle. Then again, he might want the manufacturer to take back the bike after some surface rust as well.

Back