Headlight bulb suggestions

The reason you get blinded by Land Rovers is because you're below the cutoff. Higher vehicles mixed with lower vehicles, there's just no way around that. If you were above the cutoff, there would be no glare because there is no scattered light. On the other hand, there's still significant glare above the cutoff with halogen reflectors when using HID burners. There's nothing to stop it and it is dangerous while being annoying. It may look good, but the lighting dynamics are bad. Whether the kit is $15 or $1500, it still is a rebased burner being used in a housing not designed for it which scatters the light. I have years of experience with HID, halogen, and incandescent lighting systems, both OEM and aftermarket. I've retrofitted many vehicles, fabricated tail lghts, enen attempted to build my own D2R reflector HID set up. Lighting is one of my hobbies so I know how these systems work.

i was't saying mine would be no glare cos of the price i was stating mine isn't cheap lol as per your earlier comment, and as for the HID retrofit, would it work in the uk considering we have our in car adjustment of the beam?

.It depends on how the level is adjusted. If it moves the reflector like a standard adjuster does, then you would be able to retain the factory leveling system. I got my shrouds today. I'll be using BMW E46 shrouds. I'll try and snap some pictures of the shrouds tomorrow and post them up. Now I'm just waiting on my harness. I'll probably start disassembling my formerly retrofitted lights and start getting the projectors ready in the meantime.

i see, but then i also have a question regarding the use of a retrofit, will it pass the yearly MOT test we have here in the uk, here is a section for the new regulations introduced this year.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail

Now obviously i have an aftermarket HID system in my halogen reflectors, so im guessing since i have the levelling system already fitted, as ive only switched the bulbs, i should pass this lol, well i hope :)

Chris

You'll have to see what acually changes when you flip the adjuster. If it's just the shield for instance, then a retrofit could not utilize the factory adjustment without some sort of modification. If it moves the whole reflector, then you would retain the ability to adjust it up and down with the OEM switch. Just be sure to use bulbs no higher than 5000K and no one will know the car originally had halogens.

Here's the finished product of one light. I'll do a write up in the How To section when I get some more time. No output pics yet either
attachment.php

Attachments

• 423718_358227940873075_100000576156709_1261730_884113371_n.jpg
    423718_358227940873075_100000576156709_1261730_884113371_n.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
yea priced it up, sheeeeesh shipping is going to cost the earth, 30-40 pounds for shipping per item, obviously if i get a few things its going to be a bit more because of the weight, found them on ebay for easier conversion of currency lol

Chris

Last edited:
Back