which from these two pictures is the stock rear engine mount for MSP?

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I ordered a stock rear engine mount, but what I received doesn't look like the one on the picture from the website where I bought it from. In fact, what I received is exactly like the picture of the rear mount that the site sells for the automatic 2.0 Protege.

Anybody ever exchanged the rear mount with a stock one and remembers what it looked like?

Here's the picture of what I thought I was ordering:

1.JPG

And here's the picture of what arrived:

2.JPG

The site says that their pictures don't always represent the exact part, and that I did receive the correct part. I'd rather know for sure than take their word for it. Their customer service appears to suck a lot. I don't want to take the old mount out and discover that I have the wrong replacement.

Ya that mount does look allot like a non msp mount. Looks like the bolt size is smaller no way to know forsure though without trying to install

I would not even bother with it. Send it back and get a genuine Mazda MSP mount or an aftermarket Protege rear mount.

I would not even bother with it. Send it back and get a genuine Mazda MSP mount or an aftermarket Protege rear mount.

Unfortunately, genuine MSP mounts, where I live, are available via only the Dealership. They charge an arm and a leg for it. Online sellers that carry MSP OEM mounts don't ship to Canada or have a shipping charge that's more than the mount itself.

I don't want an after market one either. I'm trying to do an OE-equivalent replacement.

Returning it is definitely and option (I'd then get one locally for a bit more money), but it would be good to know for sure if the one I received is in fact a wrong part.

Neither looks like the right mount, there are no brackets on the top or sides of the mount. The second one looks about like the right shape though.

Neither looks like the right mount, there are no brackets on the top or sides of the mount. The second one looks about like the right shape though.
The one on my MSP has that side or well had it...
Is the p5 you've seen this on an automatic or a manual one?

I want to say my old auto p5 had it as well but not 100% sure as its been a easy 3-4 years since i even owned that thing.

This is SCMP3's pic from his thread of the stock rear mount, it's exactly like the one that came in my car just in worse shape.

IMAG0429.jpg

I don't blame you for not wanting an aftermarket rear motor mount. I doubt that you will find one that is durable enough for the MSP from a local parts store. What about postal mailing to Ontario, is that just as expensive. The mount should fit in one of the small boxes available at the P.O. Perhaps a member in the States that you know could help you out.

I don't blame you for not wanting an aftermarket rear motor mount. I doubt that you will find one that is durable enough for the MSP from a local parts store. What about postal mailing to Ontario, is that just as expensive. The mount should fit in one of the small boxes available at the P.O. Perhaps a member in the States that you know could help you out.

I could have the online OEM parts supplier that I found ship the mounts to me, but they are asking about $150 for the pleasure. It probably costs them about $40 to ship, but they gouge you for more. I'm just not willing to pay that much for the "handling" part of the shipping and handling. I do have a friend that lives in US, so shipping it there and having him ship it to me is an option, but I wanted to avoid doing that because it would take longer than I wanted it to.

It's all good. Looking at the last picture posted here, I'm certain I received the wrong mount. I've even convinced my online supplier of that. I've shipped the part back and am awaiting a replacement, which I'm expecting will be the one from the first picture in my original post. Yes, it does seem to have an extra bracket on the side as opposed to the OEM one, but that won't get in the way. I'm guessing the bracket is there to make the mount fit more models than just the MSP. As far as durability of these mounts is concerned, I plan on filling three out of four of them with urethane. That should provide more stiffness and supposedly won't transfer as much vibration as the solid aftermarket urethane ones do.

That extra bracket isnt all that big of a deal, cut it off, grind down the sharp edge from you cutting it off and your good to go... its a peice of rubber in a bracket. it all bolts up the same. Its more then likely just one of those multi platform parts.. its a motor mount not a internal engine part or something major. Also if your worried about vibrations leave the rear motor mount alone.

Edit: yes I have installed #2 on multiple proteges without issue....

Edit: yes I have installed #2 on multiple proteges without issue....

You installed #2 on an MSP (or a manual transmission protege)? What about that square-ish rubber piece that's on the front of #1 and not on #2; isn't that rubber piece supposed to be there? I did notice that it is there on the original mount that's still on the car.

Also if your worried about vibrations leave the rear motor mount alone.

Yes, it's the rear one that I plan on not filling in.

I've install #2 on a 2 different MSP's and on a auto pro.

Edit: Just be sure to cut that bracket off or it will fight you getting that mount into place. That bracket likes to catch onto everything it seems while tryign to fish that mount into place from the top.

I believe only the trans mount differs between auto and manual cars, mainly the provision for the clutch line.

Back