2 questions about rims/tires

d0sitmatr

long time mazda owner
:
2003 Protege5
recently I found that one of my rims is warped (maybe more than 1, but one I know of for certain)
anyways, I just picked up a set of Enkei SP02 that are 17x9[!] et38

first question, will these fit at stock height or will I need to roll the fenders ?
2nd, Id like to keep the tires I have now as they are technically new and close to new.
front set (brand new, less than a month old) 215-45-17
rear set 225-45-17 (@ 85%)
now, Im pretty sure they will go on the rims with a little extra work from the installer, but how safe will they actually be ?
or should I just sell them off and get a different set of 17x7 ?

thanks for any help.

well, for the record, 17x9 ET38 rims DO fit on the MP5, even with 245-45-17 tires on them, at stock height, stock suspension.
there would definitely be clearance issues with the fenders though as they stick a good inch beyond the fenderwell.
with a 40 profile tire you could maybe get away without rubbing issues, but if your dropped even a little, chances are you would see some heavy rubbing without a very stiff suspension.

onto some pics.

Attachments

• Enkei rims_00rear.jpg
    Enkei rims_00rear.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Enkei rims_00frontside.jpg
    Enkei rims_00frontside.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Enkei rims_00side.jpg
    Enkei rims_00side.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 152
yea, they do stick out quite a bit.
Im not going to use them, too much work that Im not prepared to go through to get them on without problems.

probably
if I was to use them, Id get the widebody kit from DGM, and then Id have to get coilover's and run those much stiffer than Id prefer for a daily driver, Id also need to get either 40's or more likely 35's to make sure of no rubbing issues.
I bet they would make awesome trackday rims though.

Back