Upgrading the Sound System Build Log

HKPRO5

:
Supercharged Protege5
Hey guys,
Im making this thread to document myself while redoing the sounds in my trunk. Looking to hook it up while Im in off season for autox, gives me something to do. lol. So ill be taking the trunk cage apart. Keeping the strut bar in place.

I really dont plan on buying anything new system wise. Just planning to move everything around to make it more efficient in terms of space and sound quality.

Plans
-Relocate the amp for the component set up to the front.
-Replace old speaker wire with a heavier gauge.
-Move sub amp to the back of the seat.
-Make it nice a pretty so I can some how tuck the wires.
-Buy new amp kit.
-Build custom enclosure for the 10" Sub on the drivers side panel.

Here's a quick pic of my trunk now.
P1010025.jpg

So let me know what you think!

If you don't have a specific brand in mind, check out KnuKonceptz. Quality wire... oversized at that. Its copper clad aluminum, but can't beat that price. I just did a new run in my gf's car and that stuff is great to work with.

+1 to knukonceptz.

In terms of tucking the wiring, put the amps on a 1/4" spacer when screwing them to the seat, then you can cut a slit in the seat back behind the middle of the amp to tuck the wires under and through the back of the seat.

Have you seen my setup with the Rear Strut bar in...I know I have yet to post pics of the Trunk Reinforcement bar, but it is easy to tuck a 10" and amp to make it clean with lots of trunk space...allows you to keep everything in the car also...both allowed all panels installed and the two bars to be put in...the bottom box was a bit large, and I had the amps hidden behind it...just happened to be sitting on top in this pic...

This is a 12" woofer...sealed box...

008.jpg

This is a 10" woofer...ported box...

101_1134.jpg

+1 to knukonceptz.

In terms of tucking the wiring, put the amps on a 1/4" spacer when screwing them to the seat, then you can cut a slit in the seat back behind the middle of the amp to tuck the wires under and through the back of the seat.

What should I use as a spacer?(material)

If you don't have a specific brand in mind, check out KnuKonceptz. Quality wire... oversized at that. Its copper clad aluminum, but can't beat that price. I just did a new run in my gf's car and that stuff is great to work with.

Thanks Ill look into it. The prices seem pretty good. But shipping to Hawaii is always killer. For stuff like this its cheaper to get it locally.

Have you seen my setup with the Rear Strut bar in...I know I have yet to post pics of the Trunk Reinforcement bar, but it is easy to tuck a 10" and amp to make it clean with lots of trunk space...allows you to keep everything in the car also...both allowed all panels installed and the two bars to be put in...the bottom box was a bit large, and I had the amps hidden behind it...just happened to be sitting on top in this pic...

I wanted to use up that space in the corner so I figure by putting an enclosure there would be a great way. lol This is so I can fit my tools and what not in the back. But yea could you post some pics with the reinforcement bar on? Thanks

You can use anything really.

By looking at your picture, the alpine amp on the back of the seat currently. You can use two strips of 1/4" mdf under the top and bottom mounting plates that are as long as the amp and maybe an inch wide.

Cool. Sounds good. I plan on putting the Pioneer amp on the back seat and the alpine amp under the passenger seat. I will most likely use MDF.

Pulled the side panel out and started masking it. Ran out of masking tape =( So later I will go to the store, buy masking tape, MDF, stop by the car audio store and see what I can pick up from there. Then on to walmart to pick up the fleece and resin.

Still waiting for the fiberglass to come in the mail.

Total money spent so far.

$18 Fiberglass Cloth - Purchased online.

Ok today I went to the audio store to see that everything was overpriced x10. lol So I just picked up some 8gauge wire and ill get everything else online. =( (its still cheaper than getting it from that place) Speaking of online I picked up a power block to split off the power to the amps.

Went to home depot and got some MDF, dowels and tape.

Then tonight I took the panel out wrapped it in tape and cut out the bottom piece out of the MDF.

photo-40.jpg

Still waiting to get some resin, fiberglass, and fleece. For some reason HD didnt have any. And Walmart only had the small can.

Anyways total spent today.
2'x4' MDF $5.99
3'x3/4" Dowel $2.89
6ft 8ga wire $6.00
Painters tape $2.40
4ag to 8ga power distributor $7.00 (free shipping)

Tomorrow ill go ahead and pick up some resin and fiberglass mat so I can get the mold at least started. I still have to find a place that has the MDF speaker rings. Or borrow a router from my grandpa and make it myself. Also head to walmart again and get the fleece.

So I was lazy today and decided just to go to walmart and get some fiberglass and resin.

started glassing on the lower half of the mold just to get the MDF in place. (taking a break right now to cure) Once its dry ill work on the upper while the panel is laying down. Because I sure as hell aint glassing upside down. lol

Total spent today
Fiberglass Mat $4.88
Small can of resin/catalyst $13.50

Have fun and take your time with the fiberglassing, the end result will be worth it. This is my little fiberglass project...

Attachments

• DSC04440.JPG
    DSC04440.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC04441.JPG
    DSC04441.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 337
nice! I seen your write up on how you did it. Pretty clever lol did you get any heat damage on your roof from welding?

Thanks! No heat damage, just tacking the cross braces into place then did the finish welding out of the car.

Hmm its been a while..lol I have beenw waiting for the speaker ring to come in. lol

Anyways I have put up the dowels, fleeced and laid the first coat of resin. then I ran out before I could finish. (the fleece soaks up the resin good!)

So tomorrow ill pick up more resin and add another coat before adding the fiber.

Im still thinking about sanding it down and painting it when the time comes instead of carpeting it.

Well see how that goes...

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 300
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 291
Looks like a good start. Little tip for next time, use grill cloth or something like it instead of fleece. Easier to stretch into shape, soaks up resin faster (and needs less) and is less prone to warping and cracking. I use to use fleece when I first started glassing, now I pretty much only use grill cloth.

That would be the kind of stuff. You can find similar material at your local fabric store. It doesn't have to be grill cloth, just something thinner than fleece. I happen to work as an installer so I have grill cloth readilly available to me. Old t-shirts work well also.

Back